Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Baby murder nurse case

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Well, as you've seen with this poor bloke recently who was banged up for years the justice system and the police sometimes get it very wrong.

After conviction didn't he have rights either ? He was labelled a murderer too, but wasn't.

.. and as for public expense, well that's gonna be very expensive. Far more expensive than an appeal.

Much cheaper to get it right first time or soon after. As Weststander says above there was a lot of evidence against her albeit circumstantial but the jury convicted her.

I'll repeat about the Clapham murder. The full life tariff looked at again and dismissed. That was really important, because it doubled down on the unusualness of a single murder leading to a full life tariff.

A policeman misusing using his existing powers and on top some once in a lifetime extraordinary powers to rape and murder a women deserves to die in prison.

So I'm comfortable that the case of a mass murdering nurse convicted on substantial circumstantial gets looked at again because we have to have confidence in our justice system.

If you couldn't care less whether it is operating effectively and should be subject to check and balances, then yes I find that terrifying too.
It’s simple really, all the people who didn’t do it get to appeal and all the people who did, don’t. Problem solved.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The fact is Letby was convicted due to the sheer weight of circumstantial evidence, and an appeal was all but guaranteed. Doesn’t mean **** in the great scheme of things and the Crown and defence undoubtedly knew this was likely to be granted. Crossing the T’s and dotting the i’s.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What do you mean?
Everyone deserves fair and equal treatment in the eyes of the law, which includes a fair trial and the right of access to the legal system. Anything other than that opens up a Pandora’s box I’d rather we kept firmly shut, thanks.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Everyone deserves fair and equal treatment in the eyes of the law, which includes a fair trial and the right of access to the legal system. Anything other than that opens up a Pandora’s box I’d rather we kept firmly shut, thanks.
Sure - I’ve answered it above. I was just unsure on the angle as per ‘terrifying’. It is understandable in this case that many wil say that though - but I do agree with you better to be very safe than very sorry. Assuming she did do it, it’s pretty disgusting from her given the crimes and parents - so you will get that reaction frol many of the public…

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Before I start, I'm not implying innocence or making direct comparisons about the cases as some amateur detectives have done for click bait. That said, There was a similar story in Holland where the nurse was exonerated (haven't read all the thread, so apologies if bought up already)

Only point being that an appeal was more or less inevitable and as reprehensible as the crimes are, that is the law and the process.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
An appeal was always going to happen - she has nothing to lose, it’s not as if her term in prison can be extended. I really feel for her parents who must be distraught, because this will be a little bit of hope for them that will come to nothing. And I feel more sorry for the parents of the babies, who probably just wanted their closure and justice, and now they have an appeal to deal with. I hope for their sake it’s done and dusted quickly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here