Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere v Man Utd, the best since...?

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I was going to suggest that.

I was there and it was great, but it was a very much reduced capacity. I'm not sure it can compare to a full ground.

That Man City game did feel like a full ground much of the time (where I was anyway). Maybe there was a bit of compensating for the poor souls who weren't able to be there, for such a great game. Superb atmosphere.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Man City last season - I think the fact it was reduced capacity and yet still so loud, the result, the way the team played and the release and relief of being there again after missing so much football all just combined to make it electric. Saturday was obviously incredible and a great atmosphere, but the Man City game just pips it for me.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Saturday was the best Amex buzz since BDB forced the winnah over the line v Man City through sheer will power last season. This is why we go to football, and these are the daze you'll remember forever :love:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
One thing on Saturday that I've not seen all season which added to the atmosphere was people standing up out of their seats and cheering in anticipation when we attacked. After the 2nd goal every time we got close everyone was rising up. So many games where it seems assumed an attack will lead to nothing and people barely react, so it was noticeable how it created a different atmosphere all around just because it felt like we might score.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
All the good ones are mentioned on here except, perhaps Doncaster? Anyway, that, Burnley 9 men, Sheff Weds playoff game, Palace Paddy's Day Massacre. Wigan, Palace 10 man win, Man City after lockdown and Man Utd. Those are really the only times the whole ground has come alive. It proves what we know, that Brighton crowds are largely reactive, though we do react to different things. For example, Burnley was reacting to adversity, Massive play off game was reacting to our terrible luck in the first leg so it's not just goals and performance that we can react to.

However, I'm pretty sure that someone posting something on NSC about our terrible atmosphere while being dry humped by Burnley in a winter storm isn't going to be the catalyst for change.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Friday games in the promotion season were banging. Forest, Derby, Reading, Wednesday

Wednesday definitely the fave for me of those -- that game had everything, including revenge (see post 14). I have a memory of Reading too, with Baldock scoring (what I thought was) a beaut early, and it being pretty processional thereafter on the pitch -- no memory of the crowd.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Beating United to secure survival in our first PL season was a pretty special atmosphere.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I sit in the Upper West, to the left of the TV commentary gantry area, so to the N side of the halfway line.

The Atmosphere was amazing throughout, but what surprised me was, for possibly the first time, certainly the 1st I can remember, songs were being started to the right of me, in the southern part of the Upper West and spreading north.

At times in the past I've heard chants start behind me (not for a while) but never the other end.

I sit in the south side of WSU and, yes, we're normally deadly quiet, but things were very different on Saturday. I think this was in part assisted by the United fans who did contribute to the atmosphere.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
100% Man City in lockdown. But Saturday my ears hurt, something that only happens at away games. Also mentioned before, Japan SA rugby. Think that's when my ears went first.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
100% Man City in lockdown. But Saturday my ears hurt, something that only happens at away games. Also mentioned before, Japan SA rugby. Think that's when my ears went first.
Yeah this, plus I got on TV Screenshot_20220510-144552_Facebook.jpg

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I was going to suggest that.

I was there and it was great, but it was a very much reduced capacity. I'm not sure it can compare to a full ground.

Reduced capacity, yes, but it was the first live game for ages for most of us - so gave an extra kick in the feels, as the kids say.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There are different types of good atmosphere.

Injustice and anger - that Burnley game
Chasing glory - Sheff Wed play off, promotion runs
Rivalry - Palace games, perhaps that one v Southampton where dan harding was substituted at half time
Success against the odds/expectation - Man utd, man city last year, man u first year in the premier league

There is a notable difference to the atmosphere in each situation. The atmosphere on Saturday was fun, jovial, disbelief, perhaps opposition find it frustrating or annoying, but it's not the cauldron of noise that makes opponents afraid to play, putting them off their game.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Wednesday definitely the fave for me of those -- that game had everything, including revenge (see post 14). I have a memory of Reading too, with Baldock scoring (what I thought was) a beaut early, and it being pretty processional thereafter on the pitch -- no memory of the crowd.

I think this was also the game Sidwell took out Kermorgant (?) who had previously assaulted Liam Rosenior.

Wednesday game definitely had everything though, goals penalties, red cards and Knocky at his sublime best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here