Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Article: "Financial Fair Play, we're top of the league", true or false?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I agree with your fundamental conclusion EP, that parachute payment and Championship TV money trends are likely to widen the financial gap between haves and have-notes. However, interesting though the table is it seems of largely historical curiosity being based on 2 seasons ago. This is because much of what drives the rankings appears to be based on 2 key factors: (1) the trend of parachute payments by club; (2) the scale and timing of transfer dealings. For example, Blackpool were presumably still in significant receipt of parachute payments and had downsized their wage bill way beyond the likes of Bolton and Wolves. And presumably Palace's relative high FFP ranking, despite their wages being 130% of turnover, rely on the sale of Zaha.
On this basis, given the huge transfer dealings profit we have made this summer, it is perfectly plausible we could be top of the FFP League at present. Personally, I am very comfortable with the Club securing 'bargain' players such as Holla and quality season-long loans like Teixeira and Bennett. I suspect we will re-invest a decent chunk of Ulloa's money in a replacement striker before the end of the month. What is your view on the current financial position of the Albion, not least to put to bed the phrase that accountants know the cost of everything and the value of nothing?

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here