Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Anyone been to Athens?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The restaurants in the centre, like any capital city are pricy, but look carefully and you’ll find some great places just a street or two away.
Monasteraki market is worth a visit ( and a tube station) especially for leather sandals.
Avoid the tavernas in the Plaka like the plague, it's a nice enough area, rather like being in a village within the city, but unfortunately now it has become overrun by tourists, and eating out there has become a bit of a rip off.

Follow the locals and eat where they eat, that's my tip.

Eastbourne Stripes

Smith must score
Jun 8, 2009
Eastbourne
Spent five days in Athens in 2018, purchased a ticket at the Acropolis to enter multiple historic sites. They included the Agora, Temple of Zeus and the Acropolis cant remember the others but was reasonable value. The metro was cheap at the time loved the city, but it was July and the heat was difficult to cope with, Enjoy!

We went just before the pandemic. The history is astonishing. One big tip, when the random blokes try and 'bless you' with a wrist thingy, pay the first one a couple of euros and keep it on the whole visit and then they leave you alone if you show them.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Athens is much like other cities a huge sprawling mass of building as far as the eye can see, but if you like history then it’s a must visit the Acropolis the museums are incredible, the food is spectacular and the passion of the people is infectious

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes it rained. In fact it didn't just rain it broke some record that summer.

The pavements were lethal.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The tube is the best way to Piraeus, and cheaper than a taxi. A ferry out to Aegina is a short trip but worth it.

Definitely visit Acropolis and Agora. Lycabettus Hill which is higher than the Acropolis. You can walk up or take the funicular railway, or vice versa.

To stay by the sea, I recommend Glyfada, and you can still get into the centre of Athens bu tram. The temp on Monday should be a high of 25 and low of 14.

Public transport is relatively cheap. I even recommend getting the tube from the airport but watch out for pickpockets.
The restaurants in the centre, like any capital city are pricy, but look carefully and you’ll find some great places just a street or two away.
Monasteraki market is worth a visit ( and a tube station) especially for leather sandals.
We found Glyfada beach a few weeks ago and would agree it’s a lovely place

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I remember when authorities started to ban cars with even numbers on their reg plates from entering the city on odd-numbered days (and vice versa), to help tackle polution. (This must have been 25+ years ago)

A local told me that people were getting around it by purchasing a second car...

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'm just about to book a week in Athens.
Any other tips?
(Thursday evening is already sorted)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Any other tips?
The food is good, historical sights are interesting, museums probably fascinating...but I hope you enough warm, sunny weather for wandering around. Enjoy!!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Any other tips?
Assume you are going out there at the end of November, which will mean that visiting sights like the Acropolis you will avoid the queues and crowds that are present in the summer. However a word of warning for Thursday afternoon, the area around The Panathenaic Stadium (The Olympic Stadium) may be extremely busy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here