Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Townsend

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Of all the summarisers I actually find Townsend the least irritating. Not sure why it's fashionable to berate him, especially when the media provides so many more deserving targets.

Lineker, to name but one. Appalling at his job.

I agree about Lineker he has managed to stay under the radar somehow. He seems to have developed this throwing his arms about thing that is becoming very irritating

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Can someone tell me a good in-match summariser?

They invariably make inane comments about the action that any of us who vaguely follow football and/or have played the game at literally any level could make, but save you from listening to the same voice over and over for 90 mins. Aside from maybe suggesting what changes they'd make in the second half they rarely use any of their "expertise", that's the half-time pundits' job. Admittedly I don't watch many England games but never quite got the hate for Townsend, he doesn't seem any more or less irritating than others.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I know what he did crossed the line, but for me ITV punditry has never been the same since Big Ron committed the 'Desailly Disaster'.

Ron re-wrote the co-commentator's handbook and had the personality to pull off the juiciest of remarks. Townsend dabbles but is very much at the Beginner's Level when it comes to Ronglish.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Lineker is much more respected in the broadcasting world.

Michael Owen is actually pretty good on BBC Sport, I find.

The biggest issue I have with Townsend is him commenting on Chelsea CL matches as if he himself is some Chelsea legend.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I know what he did crossed the line, but for me ITV punditry has never been the same since Big Ron committed the 'Desailly Disaster'.

Ron re-wrote the co-commentator's handbook and had the personality to pull off the juiciest of remarks. Townsend dabbles but is very much at the Beginner's Level when it comes to Ronglish.
Given Big Ron is now 98 it's a bit academic

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
He has so far been the only pundit with his own Tactics Truck though. You don't get your own truck if you're not at the top of your game, right?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
The subtitles would come on without having to press the red button.

I would imagine it could be done using one of the soundboard apps you can download, with the added bonus of being able to use Stewie from Family Guy as a co-commentator.

I suppose they could try Ray Hughton, he's pseudo-Irish, and, the cousin of our new manager Chris Houghton. Failing that, you could always go for the biggest Irishman of the lot begorrah Wor Jackie Charlton. But he'll probably be out fishing.

Old Clive must spend hours in front of the mirror practising shouting "Rooonnneeyy", ready for every time Wayne knocks a shot from the edge of the area 5 yards wide.

Personally, because out of all of the football pundits out there, who, let’s face it, would struggle to get a score to obtain membership into MENSA between them, he comes across as the most brainless. No insight into the game right in front of him, hackneyed clichés and about 5 sayings repeated over and over again. Tell you what Clive, he hit that too well, he’s putting himself about, they are under the cosh here, cracking strike. Press play on an Andy Townsend voice recording and away you go.

:lolol:

Funniest thread I've read in ages. Top work.

Jan 30, 2008
He's not having his contract renewed by ITV.....and neither is presenter Matt Smith.

I wonder who the replacements will be? Jimmy Bullard? Gazza? Neil Ruddock?

ITV football coverage has been shocking for a long time, so no big surprises that they are having a revamp.
jimmy bullard needs to stick to match fishing:whistle:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here