Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] And Pigs Might Fly . . . .

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's 7th. this year - but may possibly change to 8th. if West Ham win it, depending on what rewards in terms of automatic qualifications are given to the winners..

That’s what I posted

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's 7th. this year - but may possibly change to 8th. if West Ham win it, depending on what rewards in terms of automatic qualifications are given to the winners..

That’s what I posted

The 8th placed team can only qualify for Europe next season if they win one of the European Cups, and since Brighton won't do that, there's no chance of going to Europe through 8th place.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Norwich still play West Ham, Wolves and Leicester.

They will have play like Brazillian demons for us to get 7th.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The 8th placed team can only qualify for Europe next season if they win one of the European Cups, and since Brighton won't do that, there's no chance of going to Europe through 8th place.

Any placed team can get into a European competition if they win one! The question is whether that opens up an extra place based on league position, or not. If, for instance, Liverpool do the quadruple will that give the 5th. place team in the League a Champions League place - with knock-ons down the league to 8th. place for the Conference>

Or if, for instance, a team won the Champions' League and but only finished tenth in the PL, would that mean only the first three in the league would qualify for the Champions League, with the fourth placed team relegated to the Europa League, 5th. place also in the Europa League, with 6th. place pushed down to the Conference and 7th. place getting no place in Europe at all?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Any placed team can get into a European competition if they win one! The question is whether that opens up an extra place based on league position, or not. If, for instance, Liverpool do the quadruple will that give the 5th. place team in the League a Champions League place - with knock-ons down the league to 8th. place for the Conference>

Or if, for instance, a team won the Champions' League and but only finished tenth in the PL, would that mean only the first three in the league would qualify for the Champions League, with the fourth placed team relegated to the Europa League, 5th. place also in the Europa League, with 6th. place pushed down to the Conference and 7th. place getting no place in Europe at all?

The answer to question 1 is no.

The answer to question 2 is also no.

Irrelevant of what happens: teams 1-7 will play in Europe.

If Leicester and West Ham win their cups but end up outside below 7th, England could have 9 teams in European Competitions next year, because both teams 1-7 and the winners of the three European cups are guaranteed to play in Europe.

If West Ham finish 7th and win the EL, England will have 5 CL clubs next season and 0 clubs in the Conference League (like Spain this year, because Villarreal won the EL last season).

TLDR:
- ending up 8th without winning a European cup will not, regardless of other events, get a team into Europe.
- ending up 7th will always get a team into Europe, regardless of other events

7th or above = Brighton goes to Europe
8th or below = Brighton does not go to Europe

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
It would require a 16 goal swing IF Norwich can somehow scrape a draw vs the Hammers. We beat Man U and Leeds by 3 goals = +6, they lose to Man City by 4 goals = -4 so that's +10. Meaning we'd only need to beat them 3-0 on the final day to get into 7th. All assuming of course that Wolves remain on the beach for their last 3 games as well.

Easy.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It would require a 16 goal swing IF Norwich can somehow scrape a draw vs the Hammers. We beat Man U and Leeds by 3 goals = +6, they lose to Man City by 4 goals = -4 so that's +10. Meaning we'd only need to beat them 3-0 on the final day to get into 7th. All assuming of course that Wolves remain on the beach for their last 3 games as well.

Easy.
Much simpler if Norwich just beat West Ham. GD doesn't come into it then (other results may spoil the dream though!)

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Norwich still play West Ham, Wolves and Leicester.

They will have play like Brazillian demons for us to get 7th.
Relegated teams end up playing well after relegation and do end up picking up unlikely points. It's a possibility.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
That 16 goal swing is only 12 now. I actually think the most unlikely part of this fantasy is Norwich managing a draw or better against The Hammers.

West Ham were in Germany on Thursday playing with 10 men. They’ll be suffering a hangover. Norwich’s relegation is confirmed, all the pressure is off and they will play with freedom. It’s got a Norwich win written all over it!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
West Ham were in Germany on Thursday playing with 10 men. They’ll be suffering a hangover. Norwich’s relegation is confirmed, all the pressure is off and they will play with freedom. It’s got a Norwich win written all over it!

I’ve seen these results before. Relegated players can really go for it and do well. Fingers crossed. Then, Norwich need another big performance against Wolves for us next week.

It’s not great having to rely on Norwich for our European competition spot but I’m sure Bloom, Barber and Potter will correct this over the summer.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
History tells us that even raising this as a possibility results in an immediate loss of form. Think it by all means, but I’d be wary of saying it out loud.
Shouldn't worry about that - the idea featured on at least two threads before we smashed United, and didn't seem to do much harm then!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I’ve seen these results before. Relegated players can really go for it and do well. Fingers crossed. Then, Norwich need another big performance against Wolves for us next week.

It’s not great having to rely on Norwich for our European competition spot but I’m sure Bloom, Barber and Potter will correct this over the summer.

Wolves have then got Liverpool and Man City I think. So, they can beat Norwich. So long as we win both our games, we'll catch them, and almost certainly match or better their goal difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here