[Technology] Amazon product bargain time (again)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Is it worth paying an extra tender for the “without ads” option?

Now that the Kindle can display the book cover when it's in standby mode, I think it's worth the extra tenner. One of my bugbears was that you used to forget the name of the book you're reading and who wrote it. For me, that simple change has improved the experience a lot.

Another great website for Kindle users is http://ereaderiq.co.uk - you can track any Kindle book's price and be alerted when it's cheap. There are a lot of short term deals, even on new titles. Free to use, other than voluntary donations.

On the downside, I already have more books stored up than I will probably be able to read in the rest of my life. It gets a bit addictive. But they haven't cost much and don't take up any space in the house... if they did, I'd be addicted AND divorced :lolol:

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Why would you go for one of these, and pay more, instead of the 4k Firestick?

I have a Fire stick and can't see what extra that cube thing gives you apart from being annoyed when it doesn't understand you. Also as it plugs into your TV I assume it has to be near it so it's not going to hear you over the speakers of the TV.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
My Kindle is "with ads" and all it means is there is an ad on the screen when I'm not using it. I guess the aim is that when you pick it up to use it, you see the ad and may be tempted to buy whatever it is touting.

I've just picked it up now and it's a "Recommended for you" for a book called the Accidental President. I just unlock the Kindle and the ad is gone. They couldn't be more unobtrusive.

Do you need an amazon subscription to use the kindle or can I just download from alternative sites?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I love my Kindle - but mine is the old model that has the page turn buttons on the side. I tried the later model, but just couldnt get on with it without the buttons. It seemed like a massive backward step to have to tap the screen with my grubby finger to flip the page. With the original you just hold it one handed with your thumb over the button and a 'micro' movement of your thumb turns the page.

My question - has this improved in any of the later models? or do you still have to touch the screen to page-turn - which just seems daft.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Do you need an amazon subscription to use the kindle or can I just download from alternative sites?

Most of my books are not from the Kindle store, you just email the file to your Kindle (you get a unique Kindle email address) and it automatically downloads. There is a Kindle app and you can view your books on that too if you don't have your Kindle to hand.

There are different Kindle formats but mine only seems to work with Mobi files. If you have ePub (or other format) you can convert using a free online service.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I love my Kindle - but mine is the old model that has the page turn buttons on the side. I tried the later model, but just couldnt get on with it without the buttons. It seemed like a massive backward step to have to tap the screen with my grubby finger to flip the page. With the original you just hold it one handed with your thumb over the button and a 'micro' movement of your thumb turns the page.

My question - has this improved in any of the later models? or do you still have to touch the screen to page-turn - which just seems daft.

The top of the range Oasis has buttons but not the Paperwhite

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Bought a Kindle… the £39.99 one …sold something that wasn’t being used on EBay ..net purchase price 71p ..hopefully it’ll encourage me to read more ..especially when I’m sat in the van waiting for the rain to stop

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
For those that have bought the basic kindle model (currently £39.99)… gave you bothered with a case/cover?

I have a pretty basic kindle from a few years ago. Might be called paper white(?). They’re so cheap and fairly robust that I haven’t bothered. It’s faired relatively well considering it’s age and it stays in my work bag. Small mark on the screen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports