Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] Amazon Prime Day(s)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Before the anti-Amazon crowd dive in: I am not encouraging people to shun their local stores in favour of a tax-dodging corporate monster.

However, if anyone is already going to be making an Amazon purchase over the next couple of days, then please consider clicking through from NSC. Each purchase will see NSC earn a few pennies (and in most cases, it literally is only a few pennies), but it all helps keep the server running. Thank you.

THIS IS THE LINK

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Did you hear the story about the Ring doorbell that told the Amazon the occupant will be right there that was somehow misunderstood to be a racist slur, driver complained, Amazon locked the home owner out of all their smart devices and security systems. Not sure who gave Amazon that power, they've since apologised but it does open up a few questions when homes and lives are fully IoT.

Anyway, off to do some bargain hunting on at evilcorp. Happy Prime Day

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
So what's the difference between an Echo Dot and Echo Pop? Is the pop just a speaker?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So what's the difference between an Echo Dot and Echo Pop? Is the pop just a speaker?
From elsewhere:

A cool-looking smart speaker, the Amazon Echo Pop is the new entry-level Alexa speaker. It comes in a wider range of colours, and has option sleeves to mix things up further. If you’re after a basic smart speaker for general requests and smart home control, this speaker could work; however, the better-sounding Echo Dot (5thGeneration) costs just $10/£10 more and has a temperature and ultrasound occupancy sensor, making it a better choice overall.​

Personally, I think I'd pay the extra £4, at current prices, for the Echo Dot.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
From elsewhere:

A cool-looking smart speaker, the Amazon Echo Pop is the new entry-level Alexa speaker. It comes in a wider range of colours, and has option sleeves to mix things up further. If you’re after a basic smart speaker for general requests and smart home control, this speaker could work; however, the better-sounding Echo Dot (5thGeneration) costs just $10/£10 more and has a temperature and ultrasound occupancy sensor, making it a better choice overall.​

Personally, I think I'd pay the extra £4, at current prices, for the Echo Dot.
Thanks Bozza, think I agree on that worth paying the bit extra. Sorry another questions and at the risk of turning into BensGrandad do you know if they are portable? Love listening to a bit of music in the garden in the summer and the older version Echo's we have need to be plugged into a power source meaning we cannot really use them very well outdoors.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks Bozza, think I agree on that worth paying the bit extra. Sorry another questions and at the risk of turning into BensGrandad do you know if they are portable? Love listening to a bit of music in the garden in the summer and the older version Echo's we have need to be plugged into a power source meaning we cannot really use them very well outdoors.
You'd need to buy a battery base, eg: https://amzn.to/3JSDeqN

Given the extra expense, you might be better off with a standalone Bluetooth speaker, eg:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Yes, but only if you buy a battery base:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If anyones bored ask Alexa who’s top of the league - it’s just fun 🤣

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here