Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Amazon: Benign marketplace enabler or parasitic leech?

Amazon are?

• A bad thing and I don’t use them.

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • A bad thing but bloody convenient.

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Santa’s little helper as far as I’m concerned.

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • The pinnacle of modern capitalism and to be lauded.

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
000’s of other online retailers - why the need to buy from or via Amazon if can’t easily drive/park in B&H? Alternatively, buses, trains, taxi’s etc?

Amazon easiest to deal with, with fast deliveries (usually next day) and I’d rather not use buses or trains (too slow and uncomfortable for the former and too expensive, unreliable and inconvenient for the latter).

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think that free delivery angle doesn't hold as much water any more. They often mark up prices to cover their "free delivery". A quick search on eBay and most can find the majority of products cheaper, and with free delivery.
Can't say I've found that to be the case, I always look elsewhere, ebay especially, and for me the majority of the time it's the other way around. Sometimes ebay prices are pretty much identical, possibly as the vendors sell on both platforms, but Prime delivery swings it for me. That said, you get Nectar points in eBay so there is a benefit to using them as well, if it's a larger priced item I'd probably go eBay.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and Santa brought them what they wanted. (Possibly via Amazon)

Instead of derailing the Rail Strikes thread, I brought this across here, and I’m interested in how people view Amazon.

My personal view is that Amazon offer the best delivery and “customer experience” available in the U.K. However (through their scale and ubiquity) are a menace to independent retailers (who are often forced to feed the monster as marketplace sellers or die) and to our tax revenues as Amazon are structured to avoid tax and funnel revenue/profit reporting to the jurisdiction with the most favourable tax deal, playing nation states off against each other.

This inevitably leads to lower tax revenues, hurting our ability to fund health, education, law enforcement or the environment agency among other essential services.
For the reasons highlighted above (and concerns about how they employ and utilise their staff) I have never and would never use Amazon however "convenient" it may be.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Edited for you.

By making the UK Open For Business, the tories have given us the fastest growth and the lowest unemployment in Europe.

Let's stop talking this great country down.

Under Corbyn Labour we would all be talking Russian, and going cap in hand to the EMF.
This is brilliant stuff! JC is living rent free in your head isn't he? :lolol:

Everybody knows we would have been a Russian satellite state by now if JC had been PM.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is brilliant stuff! JC is living rent free in your head isn't he? :lolol:

Everybody knows we would have been a Russian satellite state by now if JC had been PM.
Just checking, you do realise that post was satirical......? ???

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Amazon easiest to deal with, with fast deliveries (usually next day) and I’d rather not use buses or trains (too slow and uncomfortable for the former and too expensive, unreliable and inconvenient for the latter).
Yep, I know and that’s why in a nutshell the world is fecked and we can all be proud of our contribution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here