Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Allegation of trouble from Littlehampton Town fans

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Very easy/lazy to snipe at LA when you are in "Ash Green - Surrey / Hampshire Borders", but there are plenty of nice parts of town if you know where to look. Yes, it has its bad areas and some dodgy characters, but most places (especially along the south coast corridor) are no different. I've lived here nearly 50 years and have had ample opportunity to move away, but I prefer to stay. It's an unpretentious, working-class town which has suffered from decades of underinvestment by central government, who presume that the entire south-east must be awash with money.

top post mate .......not everyone can be indoctrinated...:thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I encountered, and posted, about the group I think you mean last season. They were on a train back to LA after a Brighton game. They chose to parade around Brighton Station singing non stop and confronting people on their own. Then when the queue was let on to the trains there was a choice of trains on platforms 1 and 2, the train on 2 was going first and the Brighton fans all got on that. These Littlehampton Ultras chose to take the other train but hung around just outside the doors smoking on the platform and generally being dicks. They looked about 18 years old at most and like most "yoof" more interested in posturing than anything else.

Back in the day, as has been said by others, they'd be Brighton fans. Brighton has a long tradition of having a decent following from LA including some of the dodgier areas of it like Wick. You could rely on them going home and away.

With the gentrification, sterilisation and cost of Premier League football it's not a surprise that places like Littlehampton, Worthing and Bognor are now all getting their own little Ultra crews instead of these kids following Brighton or Pompey. You reap what you sow.

As for the OP [MENTION=42768]pure_white[/MENTION] I asked a while ago for you to explain your user name, which you never have, Interesting. I can only reiterate what my fellow mod has said on this thread. We're watching you.

Good observation. It explains why [MENTION=278]MattBackHome[/MENTION] is a Lewes Ultra.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've been to a few LA games , some of the fans push the boundaries but this isnt the queens garden party , this is football which is ( or should be) a working mans release

No it's not. However, when I first started going regularly in the late 80s and 90s the banter and agg in the crowd was all at professional games. I'd very occasionally go to a non-league game (normally Southwick or Worthing) with a mate and it was for a mixture of reasons; love of the game of football, bored at home on a Tuesday night, cheaper than the pub. Grounds and clubs were run by committee and volunteers, the bar take just about kept the club going and the crowd was under 200, free to mix and largely older blokes and trainspotter types.

For a mixture of reasons (all ticket games, price, gentrification etc) it's now harder for young working class blokes to go to big games, but non-league was also the first to open up after Covid. This means a lot of non-league clubs now have fans who are putting money in the coffers but who are causing problems that they don't have the infrastructure or people to fix.

If I were on a grass roots committee it'd be a proper conundrum between accepting the extra money and vocal support versus dealing with the problems that come with it. It's little wonder that those that have always gone to Non League for reasons of enjoying football rather than "letting off steam" are a bit upset.

These LA lads should be watching Brighton like the LA lads did when I first started going. You always saw them home and away. But these days you can't just jump on any old train and pay on the gate for a fiver if you go to "proper" football - hence they're doing it at Non League where you still more or less can.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Very easy/lazy to snipe at LA when you are in "Ash Green - Surrey / Hampshire Borders", but there are plenty of nice parts of town if you know where to look. Yes, it has its bad areas and some dodgy characters, but most places (especially along the south coast corridor) are no different. I've lived here nearly 50 years and have had ample opportunity to move away, but I prefer to stay. It's an unpretentious, working-class town which has suffered from decades of underinvestment by central government, who presume that the entire south-east must be awash with money.

yep most of LA is absolutely fine. We nearly moved there but couldn't quite find the right property before finding where we are now which is near Angmering station.

High Street could do with some TLC but the seafront an along the river are perfectly pleasant, the whole area close to the Rustington border is nice and there's even pockets of Wick that are fine. Couple of nice parks as well

As you say, it's a victim of under investment and being that little bit too far to commute to London hasn't had the gentrification "boost" but it's a an unpretentious working class town with nice people. Some rougher parts but even those are hardly South Central Los Angeles

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Statement from LA a few hours ago
934c01b8e455222fd37df9e3dc6f7fa6.jpg

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
its very easy to take offence over inconsequential things, and some look to be offended. As a gay man I think I have pretty thick skin (ive needed it) and usually am not offended by most of the childish drivel that some get their knickers in a twist about. I took another look today, to see if I had perhaps been a bit harsh in my assessment of the OP, it was late evening, hard day etc. However on re reading it, the post basically says having gay people in Brighton somehow tarnishes the town, and I felt, and still do, that that point needed addressing, it seems a fair few others agree

It is a discussion forum and yes, some can get professionally offended, but on this occasion I think I and others were right to comment on the apparent meaning of the OP-

I wouldn’t worry or analyse too deeply, whatever the matter or importance, 8 posts is about right for NSC! Sorry, I hadn’t read any of the posts just a quick glance and saw things kicking off.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Save me looking guys……. What size crowds are LA getting now ?

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
Save me looking guys……. What size crowds are LA getting now ?

429 for the cup game with Broadbridge Heath, 568 against Whitehawk. I'd expect an average of around 500 if we do OK this season, with some bigger crowds against the more local sides. Last season we went from 120 at the start of the season to over 3,000 for the FA Vase semi-final.

SWL-Seagull

Jun 7, 2019
No it's not. However, when I first started going regularly in the late 80s and 90s the banter and agg in the crowd was all at professional games. I'd very occasionally go to a non-league game (normally Southwick or Worthing) with a mate and it was for a mixture of reasons; love of the game of football, bored at home on a Tuesday night, cheaper than the pub. Grounds and clubs were run by committee and volunteers, the bar take just about kept the club going and the crowd was under 200, free to mix and largely older blokes and trainspotter types.

For a mixture of reasons (all ticket games, price, gentrification etc) it's now harder for young working class blokes to go to big games, but non-league was also the first to open up after Covid. This means a lot of non-league clubs now have fans who are putting money in the coffers but who are causing problems that they don't have the infrastructure or people to fix.

If I were on a grass roots committee it'd be a proper conundrum between accepting the extra money and vocal support versus dealing with the problems that come with it. It's little wonder that those that have always gone to Non League for reasons of enjoying football rather than "letting off steam" are a bit upset.

These LA lads should be watching Brighton like the LA lads did when I first started going. You always saw them home and away. But these days you can't just jump on any old train and pay on the gate for a fiver if you go to "proper" football - hence they're doing it at Non League where you still more or less can.

This. I started supporting the Albion in 1994 aged 15. Lived in East Preston where there were many Albion. So easy to jump on the train at Angmering then POTG into the North Stand either with a mate or by myself. No way I could have afforded this now with modern PL prices.

LH had a bad reputation then - when we went clubbing in Brighton we learnt to say we were from Worthing not near LH as the bouncers never liked it if you said LH - but as others have said, it’s a decent town with decent people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who decides when the city is “full” of gays? What is the quota? I think we could squeeze a few more in.

Eaxctly. Shouldn't Paul Barber be considering this is the next round of stadium expansion plans?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here