Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Albion's Football Equivalent

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
120 years of history, and so many other teams.

But who would be our equivalent when judged over the course of history ?

The club I have thought of when pondering this question is Reading. I would say Plymouth Argyle might be more suited in many ways had they made it to the attic though.

Thoughts ?

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
120 years of history, and so many other teams.

But who would be our equivalent when judged over the course of history ?

The club I have thought of when pondering this question is Reading. I would say Plymouth Argyle might be more suited in many way had they made it to the attic though.

Thoughts ?
Yeh, Reading seems about right. Maybe QPR too, and maybe Bristol City. All up and down the leagues, with occasional stints in the top division.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
I might be a bit dense, but what are you talking about? Equivalent? I can understand an equivalent in another sport but we are already a football club, so why would we have a "football equivalent"? Do you mean which other club is most similar to us?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I might be a bit dense, but what are you talking about? Equivalent? I can understand an equivalent in another sport but we are already a football club, so why would we have a "football equivalent"? Do you mean which other club is most similar to us?

Yeah, but I never put things simply.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I don't want to to be like Reading.

I guess we probably have a similar history in terms of time spent in divisions.

But big difference between the clubs in level of support (home and away) in equivalent divisions.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In terms of residency of the top flight, we are more akin to Bristol City, Swansea (both 9 seasons the same as us) and Wigan who have had 8 years. Reading have only had 3. Wigan of course can add the FA cup to their honours and Swansea the League Cup.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I thought Hull would be another. Formed in 1905, 5 seasons in the top, 60 in the 2nd, etc. New stadium bounce seeing a rise in home fans although that has tailed off recently.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are no teams like Brighton.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Crystal Palace lite. (Less top flight seasons, only one FA Cup final, similar numbers of fans, but a less passionate, vociferous and committed fanbase overall, no matter how people try dressing it up because it’s Palace) Somewhere between Reading and CPFC lies little ole BHA.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Albion are unique. There are slight similarities at various points in our history to Reading, Wigan, Plucky, Brizzle City, but none of them has come close to matching our trajectory. Reading and Wigan reached the top flight thanks to wealthy benefactors, but neither ever had a fanbase comparable to ours, and although both have won Wembley finals, both are also in much worse places than us at the moment thanks to foreign buyouts. Also Wigan were non-league for most of their history.

Swansea are perhaps the nearest parallel, with a long history over under-achievement, a brief period at the top in the early 80s, a slide down to being a game from going out of the league, and a return to the top. But they never went through a similar situation to our Gillingham and Withdean experiences. And their present ownership hasn't done them too many favours in my opinion.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I don't want to to be like Reading.

I guess we probably have a similar history in terms of time spent in divisions.

But big difference between the clubs in level of support (home and away) in equivalent divisions.

I'm pretty sure that, despite their close proximity to us, they hold the record for the lowest away following at the Amex.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Goztepe in Turkey have had a similar history but condensed. In the last 25 years they got promoted to the top flight, relegated, promoted and then tumbled to the fifth tier. They returned to the top flight the same day as us and seem to secure safety within 24 hours of us every year. They also have a new ground after ground sharing for a while. However, they have a more glorious past and hold the world record for a 2nd Division game, over 80,000 in a promotion derby in the 1980s.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Any excuse!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Crystal Palace lite. (Less top flight seasons, only one FA Cup final, similar numbers of fans, but a less passionate, vociferous and committed fanbase overall, no matter how people try dressing it up because it’s Palace) Somewhere between Reading and CPFC lies little ole BHA.

Also without the drum, matching black jackets, goal music and disgusting, libellous tweets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here