Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion had 44 players selected for international duty in 2022-23

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The interminable 2022-23 season refuses to acknowledge its own mortality with a couple of Albion players STILL on international duty (Carl Rushworth, a man destined never to win an international cap and Tom McGill, a Canadian with more England caps than Carl Rushworth).

Just before we rush headlong into the sunlit uplands of the 2023-24 season it is worth recognising what Albion achieved in this campaign in terms of international recognition.

Albion had a total of 44 players* called up for international duty across the duration of the season.

*From age group U-16 upwards, men/boys only (I don't track the womens' team) and excluding loanee Levi Colwill.

For comparison, in our Championship promotion season of 2016-17 we had 23 players (excluding loanees) called up.

Will this number ever be exceeded? Only time will tell.

Incidentally: Luca Barrington. In this article on the club website reviewing the academy season it is stated that Luca Barrington was one of the players called up. I have no knowledge of this. Was it for an England age-group side? Does he have a parent/grandparent from another country meaning it was for a differnet nation? If anybody can shed any light on Barrington's call-up (which country, age-group and when) I would be grateful.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The interminable 2022-23 season refuses to acknowledge its own mortality with a couple of Albion players STILL on international duty (Carl Rushworth, a man destined never to win an international cap and Tom McGill, a Canadian with more England caps than Carl Rushworth).

Just before we rush headlong into the sunlit uplands of the 2023-24 season it is worth recognising what Albion achieved in this campaign in terms of international recognition.

Albion had a total of 44 players* called up for international duty across the duration of the season.

*From age group U-16 upwards, men/boys only (I don't track the womens' team) and excluding loanee Levi Colwill.

For comparison, in our Championship promotion season of 2016-17 we had 23 players (excluding loanees) called up.

Will this number ever be exceeded? Only time will tell.

Incidentally: Luca Barrington. In this article on the club website reviewing the academy season it is stated that Luca Barrington was one of the players called up. I have no knowledge of this. Was it for an England age-group side? Does he have a parent/grandparent from another country meaning it was for a differnet nation? If anybody can shed any light on Barrington's call-up (which country, age-group and when) I would be grateful.
Top work as always. This may help:

1688065201666.png

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
That's an amazing stat. Back in the day I used to get mildly excited when Steve Penney got another call up for Northern Ireland!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here