Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Akinbiyi set for Eagles exit

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Akinbiyi is surplus to requirements
Ade Akinbiyi's Crystal Palace future has been thrown into doubt after being omitted from their pre-season training camp in Spain.
The 28-year-old striker cost the Eagles £2.2m when he signed from Leicester last February.

But he has started just 11 league games since, scoring three times.

A possible transfer to Stoke broke down because of Akinbiyi's high wages, which are also proving prohibitive for a loan move.

And his future at Selhurst Park looks bleak after manager Steve Kember admitted he did not fit in with his plans.

Amazing isn't it ? This bloke would rather not get anything than accept a more realistic contract. If Brighton Rock is right about his £12,500 a week (and why shouldn't he be ? He normally is) I'm afraid that Mr Akinbyi has 'Ade' it. I wonder how many other players (or their agents) will take this narrow minded view ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He'll learn the hard way. No-one will take him with those wages which is a shame as he's a decent enough first division striker.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
This is true, they'll be more than a few others whose expectations don't match their ability come August.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It is true then, all footballers are thick and their agents are thicker still. They must know that all these clubs are in trouble, because they paid out money they hadn't got on hugely-inflated wages and are now consequently faced with bankruptcy. However the players ignore this and still demand they get paid the 'gravy train' wages that got clubs into trouble in the first place. Unbeliveable.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well in the case of Akinbyi most people seem to agree that Peter Taylor paid far too much for him to get him from Wolves, both in wages and transfer fee. His case is not helped by the injury he had last year but I'm like most, totally baffled as to why players won't take a substantial pay cut.

After all, £2000 a week is a damn sight more than most people earn and it's a whole lot better than nothing at all.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Serves him right for getting that goal against Reading :p

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
akinibiyi is said to £12,500 a week at palace but the fee for him was split up over many conditions,
games played
promotion
goals scored etc

thats why he went stoke last season and will not play this season as one more game will cost palace £250,000

Simster said:
He'll learn the hard way. No-one will take him with those wages which is a shame as he's a decent enough first division striker.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
Nice one!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
brighton rock said:
akinibiyi is said to £12,500 a week at palace but the fee for him was split up over many conditions,
games played
promotion
goals scored etc

thats why he went stoke last season and will not play this season as one more game will cost palace £250,000

Well, you can hardly blame Steve Kember can you ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Witless, you may laugh but what is funnier is that last season, Palace actually loaned him out and brought in loan-signing Noel Whelan in his place. :dunce:

Whelan is absolutely pants and makes Akinbuyi look like Christian Vieri.

Simster said:
Whelan is absolutely pants and makes Akinbuyi look like Christian Vieri. [/B]

A remarkable player indeed!

Players with Akinbyi's attitude, primed up by their spiv agents have been leaches on lower clubs finances for too long. Nobody expects footballers to work for the minum wage. Of course they should earn an above average wage, but some need a realty check.
The advent of the Sky era was the begining of the greed culture by players and their agents. One of the most pathetic interviews I have ever seen was with sammy Igoe a few weeks ago on Meridian. He was interviewed, almost shedding tears at the prospect of being unemployed after being let go by Reading. It transpired later in the interview he had actually turned down a contract extension by Reading, no doubt thinking he could get more. What he was on I've no idea, but Reading are known to be fairly generous with their salaries.

The piece about Akinbiyi costing Palace £250.000 if he plays again reminds me of the one smart piece of business Scumlotti ever done whilst being employed as Archoles poodle. He instructed Liam Brady not to play Mark Farrington in a game at Huddersfield ( I think?) as it would have cost the Albion another £50.000. Farrington was on £38.000 a year. I'm sure nobody at NSC would begrudge Mark his well earnt salary! :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here