Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] 5 attempts to get blood sample at hospital - anybody beat that?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Only last week Worthing Hospital had 4 attempts at finding a vein on my wife. After the third attempt she fainted for the first time in her life, after which they were going to knock it on the head but she insisted they crack on. 4 large bruises a day later.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I'm type 1 diabetic so have fairly regular blood tests. There are 2 nurses at my GPS, one nails it 1st time every time, the other one needs multiple attempts without fail. There was one occasion where it took about 6 or 7 goes, they eventually took it from my wrist. They then decided to take my blood pressure. Guess what - it was a tad high.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Or, if you really want a laugh, have a "long line" fitted. An IV line that goes right down into the veins, used if they are using IV a lot or at home, it's a real pain in the bum!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The nurse was telling me a few of their patients have a heightened fear of needles but fortunately they are always able to find the vein first time with a bit of extra prep

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
when at good hope hospital in brum, i was sent up to the surgical ward (stomach blockage). they wanted to take some bloods. first attempt, needle in, the fire alarm sounded. 2nd attempt, needle in, the fire alarm sounded again. 3rd attempt (going back into the same spot of the first attempt, the alarm went off again. i told them to carry on as the ward i was on was not burning/smoking/in danger.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
My elderly Mum recently fractured her pelvis and was in considerable pain, while on an ambulance waiting outside A&E.. Fortunately, she was in the care of an advanced paramedic who was brilliant with her, except on this occasion he struggled to get a needle into either arm. To be fair, she had no visible veins. He told her he had a cunning plan and leaned out the doors of the ambulance to have a word with an A&E nurse sat nearby at an outdoor triage desk, sifting people before being allowed to enter the main doors into A&E. However, the nurse was sat on a chair with one of her legs raised as it was in plaster, having sustained a broken leg herself (!). Next the nurse dragged her plastered leg onto the ambulance and laid alongside Mum to successfully get a needle into her arm.

Probably not in the trauma care manual but brilliant service and Mum was relieved. Only afterwards did the paramedic confess that the nurse was his wife and keen to return to work but allowed to do 'light' duties on the triage desk, despite her broken leg. Very impressed.

The whole episode with my Mum showed how the staff are muddling through in the present Ambulance and A&E situations.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had to get some bloodwork done today and it took 5 attempts to find a vein to draw blood. I do normally have to have about 2 tries and on my left arm as right one always seems to be a problem. It wasn't the nurses fault - 3 tried (apparently after 2 attempts another nurse is called to try) before success at the 5th attempt. I don't have a fear of needles but after about 15 minutes and 5 times of them wiggling the needle about in my arm to try to find a co-operative vein I was getting a bit frustrated and my arm was getting pretty sore. They think it was the cold weather that caused the problem. Apparently the next option would have been to try the back of the hand as the veins there are more pronounced.

Just wondered if anybody else has had similar problems.
Normally it is one go for me. Last year I had five goes. An ambulance paramedic (I kid you not) had two goes. Then a student nurse had three. Lack of trained staff. I think they got me in the end only because I was relaxed and kind to them.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
When I was in Worthing hospital aprox 3 years ago with severe sciatica they asked if a student doctor could “have a go” at taking a blood sample- I think she had about 3 goes in each arm and I ended up looking like a pin cushion!
It would have been quite uncomfortable but I was in so much pain I didn’t really care and to be honest I was glad of the distraction.
Eventually the nurse appeared and gave her a good telling off for not letting anyone know she was struggling and promptly got straight in at first attempt.
The poor student doctor was mortified and so apologetic but I found the whole thing mildly amusing in the circumstances but I was left black and blue for the next week
Sounds like a case of half n half :wink:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I'm a registered donor for the Anthony Nolan trust. Many years ago there was a kid in Worthing who needed a marrow donor so I went to see if I could be considered by having my blood tested.
The lady stabbed me twice without finding a vein, on the third attempt she got it in but dropped something on the floor, instead of just leaving it until she was done, she bent down and in doing so, twisted the needle in my arm and snapped it.
Even with me making it very obvious that she had really hurt me, all I got was a half arsed "oops, sorry. Shall I try the other arm instead?"
If it hadn't been for a good cause I'd have walked out. Arm looked like it had a golf ball under the skin the next day, not a great experience.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
There is one nurse that always bruises me when she takes blood. When I looked at their website, she was listed as a receptionist. I hope that was out of date or a typo or it might explain a lot.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I'm a registered donor for the Anthony Nolan trust. Many years ago there was a kid in Worthing who needed a marrow donor so I went to see if I could be considered by having my blood tested.
The lady stabbed me twice without finding a vein, on the third attempt she got it in but dropped something on the floor, instead of just leaving it until she was done, she bent down and in doing so, twisted the needle in my arm and snapped it.
Even with me making it very obvious that she had really hurt me, all I got was a half arsed "oops, sorry. Shall I try the other arm instead?"
If it hadn't been for a good cause I'd have walked out. Arm looked like it had a golf ball under the skin the next day, not a great experience.
That phrase "twisted the needle in my arm and snapped it" really made me wince, can't imagine how painful that was. On a previous hospital visit I needed an MRI and during the procedure they needed to inject a muscle relaxant. So they used a cannula which has to stay in your arm for the whole procedure, about 40 minutes. For some reason that freaked me out slightly as I somehow imagined if I moved my elbow a bit getting in and out of the MRI machine I would snap the bloody needle

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
When I had appendicitis a trainee nurse jabbed my arm until it was red raw and couldn't do it, they had to get a doctor to do it and used some kind of freezing spray to keep it all in place??

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Mine is 40 minutes and then done by ultra scan to find a vein in my arm. Was at RSCH but not the Haematology Dept who are brilliant at their trade and lovely lovely people who in treating me for Leukaemia for 12 years now have all become friends. As someone said earlier drink plenty of water before.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
That phrase "twisted the needle in my arm and snapped it" really made me wince, can't imagine how painful that was. On a previous hospital visit I needed an MRI and during the procedure they needed to inject a muscle relaxant. So they used a cannula which has to stay in your arm for the whole procedure, about 40 minutes. For some reason that freaked me out slightly as I somehow imagined if I moved my elbow a bit getting in and out of the MRI machine I would snap the bloody needle
I had an MRI about 9yrs ago, I had to take some industrial strength laxatives the night before so they could get a clear image and obviously wasn't allowed to eat or drink. I was feeling very lethargic by the time I got to the hospital, shitting water for several hours tends to wipe you out.
As soon as they put the needle in my arm I told the nurse I was going to pass out, before they could even react I had entered full bobble head mode and fainted like a big girls blouse.
I remember apologising for being a pussy as soon as I came round. Never passed out before that, very odd feeling.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
They always have trouble taking blood from me . I never go to the GP Surgery, I have had more than once had them give up and send me to the hospital , leaving me like a pincushion.
I go to Eastbourne DGH Phlebotomy Dept., and they generally find some ..... Time before last she resorted to taking it from my hand.
I have been told I have small veins or that they move when the needle finds them... I thought it was just me. At least I know now that it is not so uncommon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here