Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 42 days and Southend United or else ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Seems the The Shrimpers have been ordered to sort out the ownership/sale of the Essex based club or face expulsion/winding-up ?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
What’s happened down there is an absolute disgrace. Proper football team and fans and history, southern seaside town, been completely violated by criminally unethical “owners”. Ring a bell?

Heart goes out to the Shrimpers and I’ve signed every petition I’ve come across. If they held a Fans United and I heard about it, I’d be down there in a flash.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
What’s happened down there is an absolute disgrace. Proper football team and fans and history, southern seaside town, been completely violated by criminally unethical “owners”. Ring a bell?

Heart goes out to the Shrimpers and I’ve signed every petition I’ve come across. If they held a Fans United and I heard about it, I’d be down there in a flash.
Me to makes my heart break to hear thing like this still go on, so many years after it happened to us.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The long read in today's Guardian is haunting: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...death-possible-rebirth-ron-martin-justin-rees

Contains so many reminders of the war years, both bad and good. Good luck to all Southend fans and all in similar boats. A football club is a wonderful thing for a community and there are so many unsung heroes all over the country doing everything they can to keep their's alive.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
:(
Former colleague is a STH (along with his Arsenal ST), they’re still worried it’s going to go tits up……..need the Rat gone for good.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The long read in today's Guardian is haunting: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...death-possible-rebirth-ron-martin-justin-rees

Contains so many reminders of the war years, both bad and good. Good luck to all Southend fans and all in similar boats. A football club is a wonderful thing for a community and there are so many unsung heroes all over the country doing everything they can to keep their's alive.
Yes, I read that and thought the guy was in some ways worse than Archer. For those that haven't read it the Southend owner (Ron Martin) brought the club - and then immediately split it so that the ground became a separate company (Roots Hall Ltd), and it charged the football club £400k a year rent to play there!

Of course there was going to be a new ground, new dawn, bright future, etc, but the fear was that it would basically be just a property development with a football ground attached. And Martin isn't even a property developer, he makes his money by buying land and selling it when it appreciates in value. 'Dodgy' doesn't begin to describe it.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Ah yes, Ron the rat. I live near him, he is not liked in the local area, dodgy character. I remember the protests well but it all seems to have gone a bit quiet though.

Not the nicest bunch of fans but they don't deserve this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here