I saw Mark Mcghee at Brighton Station last night...

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D

Deleted User X18H

...he was at the ticket barrier he obviously got off the train I was on.

I think he'd been to The Palace game (tosser) I said to him 'we lost again' 'who' he enquired I said ' Brighton & Hove Albion of course' 'oh dear' he replied 'never mind it will be up and up from now on' he said sarcastically and winked as he walked off

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It all went wrong when McGhee was sacked whilst being mid table with 7 points from 6 games and 3 defeats, just 3 defeats and 2 away 1 goal defeats against the teams who ended up 1st and 2nd. McGhee has proved he is a superb manager at Motherwell and his sacking is in my opinion the worst mistake ever made at BHAFC.

If McGhee had been left in charge we would probably be in the Championship now or at worst have got to the Division 1 play offs the last 2 seasons

D

Deleted User X18H

Tend to agree with you GG when I spoke to him he didn't realise I was actually addressing him until he saw I was looking right at him, he then stopped in his tracks to converse for a few seconds he pulled that face when he shows all his teeth, I felt honoured.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
1st season - promoton from the same division we are not 3rd bottom in with the same constraints

2nd season - survival in the championship , no other manager has achieved this at Withdean

3rd season - out of the bottom 3 all season until 3 months before the end when some squad sthrenthening would have ensured our surival but the baord did not and we went down

4th season - 10 seconds away from 3 wins out of the first 3 games, a cup win, 3 defeats but 2 of those by just 1 goal away from home at Notts forest and B City and then sacked !.

Pork Sword

Banned
Jan 5, 2007
It all went wrong when McGhee was sacked whilst being mid table with 7 points from 6 games and 3 defeats, just 3 defeats and 2 away 1 goal defeats against the teams who ended up 1st and 2nd. McGhee has proved he is a superb manager at Motherwell and his sacking is in my opinion the worst mistake ever made at BHAFC.

If McGhee had been left in charge we would probably be in the Championship now or at worst have got to the Division 1 play offs the last 2 seasons

I agree.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
McGhee was in for the long haul and had committed himself to stay and talk us out at Falmer. He is a far better manager than any of the 4 we have had in the last 9 months, Wilkins, Adams, White, Slade he got Motherwell to 4th and Europe and are mid table this season defying the 2nd season slump some on here predicted. The only reason he is not Scotland's manager as he was shortlisted to the final 2 is he stood by Motherwell after their captain died and showed great loyalty and leadership.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I love Dick but I think sacking McGhee was an absolute howler and we are now in a much worse position than 2 and a half years ago because of it. We needed him more than he needed us. A shocking waste of a great manager. Very sad and unneseccary.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Uncle S. You are the king of hindsight.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Mcghee has gone, get over it!!!!!!!!!! Almost as bad as the Wendy fan club, both decisions i agree were wrong in hindsight but lets look at the present (as bleak as i know that is at the moment)

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

I think it's easy to speculate in hindsight, who was the best manager, we would have been there if it wasn't for........if so and so was in charge then.........

McGhee was a decent manager but could not get the team firing in the Championship. The team did not score more than two goals in a game for two seasons! Other teams have gone up and stayed up with players who would not even grace our hallowed turf! How, because they beleived in the manager. Once the dressing room is lost, that's it. Same with Wilkins.

We were closer to the bottom of the table points wise than the 6th place we thought we were near! 7th was good but the gap between 7th and 6th was huge.

We are suffering because of many changes of player personnel. Once we put the same team out for 2-3 games, things should turn around. Yes it does seem optimistic but facts do not lie when it comes to new managers, instilling their beliefs and players often follow because they have no other belief than the one in front of them.

The king is dead, long live the king.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The worst mistake was Dick Tight not backing him up in the transfer market , if he had we would still be in the championship.

the board did, including making bids for players who turned McGhee and the club down

I expect it was McGhees constant rubbishing of his own players and his desire to continually force his better players out when they complained to him about this that lead to some fans dislike of him and him being sacked

Or it may have been the way we seemed to just give up and accept relegation from the championship, when we were in a position to fight for safety, especially as he liked to sub a forward and bring on a defender when we were losing, which will never turn the result around, at least when Coppell took over when in the Championship he got his team to battle for survival and we nearly made it.

The rot set in during McGhee's reign, not after it. He never seemed to rate the players he had at his disposal, and it resulted in very negative, boring to watch football, which fans stopped turning up to watch. Wilkins was hampered by a very depleted squad, low on believe when he took over, so it was hard for him to turn it around and lure fans back, - Adams has suffered under the weight of expectation this time round.

Feb 11, 2007
Brighton
I seem to remember a clamour to have him sacked. When we played at Bristol City, it was "the fans" who having turned on him, and made up the mind of the board. This bulletin board was full of postings demanding he go. Now nearly three years on, we are all remembering what we lost.

On 11 May 2006, Dick Knight said:

"Mark has got clubs - including ourselves - promoted from League One before and is being given every chance to do so again."

Knight had backed McGhee in the boardroom struggle over his future while others had been in favour of opting for a new manager.

Dick Knight actually stuck with him, and Tony Bloom admitted that month, that he wanted him gone.

McGhee was sacked as manager on 8 September 2006, following three consecutive defeats in the 2006–07 season. That is the beginning of the season after THREE defeats. Oh, for just three defeats!

We are a fickle bunch and only realise what we had, once it is gone.

EW

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think McGhee probably does care. He put his heart and soul into the job and doesn't seem to be the bitter type. From what I remember, he was quite graceful in defeat (the sacking).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports