Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy tweet

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Have I missed the outrage over Duffy's Martin Mcguinness tweet. Or just for one beautiful moment can I hope that NSC has allowed him an opinion of his own without censure.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
more evidence if needed that clubs should have a twitter ban on players. inevitable public airing of private view will upset a great many fans on such a matter.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Whatever one thinks of the tweet, David Stockdale immediately stuck up for Duffy's right to express himself. That won't be a popular move but he stuck his head above the parapet to defend a team mate, and I find that impressive. I'd want him on my side.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
more evidence if needed that clubs should have a twitter ban on players. inevitable public airing of private view will upset a great many fans on such a matter.

In a democracy he is entitled to express a view. If it's okay for Norman Tebbitt, Tim Parry, Piers Morgan et al to give their views, why not Shane Duffy?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
In a democracy he is entitled to express a view. If it's okay for Norman Tebbitt, Tim Parry, Piers Morgan et al to give their views, why not Shane Duffy?

of course he is entitled to his view. however there are consequences of that view for him and his employer. politicans, journalists and campaigners do not have to worry about that so much, or indeed its their purpose to voice those views and take the consequences for those they represent. generally, footballers should stay well out of politics.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
of course he is entitled to his view. however there are consequences of that view for him and his employer. politicans, journalists and campaigners do not have to worry about that so much, or indeed its their purpose to voice those views and take the consequences for those they represent. generally, footballers should stay well out of politics.

Why should footballers stay out of politics more than anyone else in the public eye?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

What consequences for him and his employer?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Try telling someone brought up in 90's N.Ireland to stay out of politics.

There wont be any consequences.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why should footballers stay out of politics more than anyone else in the public eye?

There's no law that says they should.

But in this day and age of social media, they can expect a backlash of sorts both online and at their place of work, so its probably wiser to keep council. If Duffy is thick-skinned enough to take the abuse his views will inevitably attract from some fans, then that's up to him. He's publically declared himself as an IRA sympathiser...personally I don't think that was very wise, but that was entirely his choice.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
There's no law that says they should.

But in this day and age of social media, they can expect a backlash of sorts both online and at their place of work, so its probably wiser to keep council. If Duffy is thick-skinned enough to take the abuse his views will inevitably attract from some fans, then that's up to him. He's publically declared himself as an IRA sympathiser...personally I don't think that was very wise, but that was entirely his choice.

Link?
This one?
Shane Duffy‏Verified account [MENTION=14730]shane[/MENTION]Duffy34 4h4 hours ago
More
More tragic news this morning, RIP Martin Mc Guinness a true hero for many off us �� god bless your family and close ones #ireland

So his tweet is only sympathising the IRA and not about the Good Friday agreement and peace? Bearing in mind his age.
Just playing devils advocate.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

I'm inclined to agree with this. He's an employee of BHAFC and his twitter account identifies him as such with a picture of him in BHAFC strip.

Some of my employees are on twitter, but if they are identifiable as such on their twitter account, they are obliged to state clearly on their twitter profile that they are tweeting in an entirely personal capacity; and they are also advised that if they post anything that might potentially bring the organisation into disrepute (or worse...) they may be held accountable. What they post on their personal twitter accounts, where they are not identifiable in that way as employees is entirely their own business. In the case of professional footballers, however, for whom even their personal twitter accounts might be clearly associated with their employer (because they are well-known 'celebrities') the employer might even want to take a stronger line.

I personally don't have a big problem with Duffy's views on Martin McGuinness - I suspect they'd be shared by large numbers of working class Irish people. And in any case, I can see that because of his subsequent role in the peace process, it's perfectly possible to have more nuanced views on McGuinness which go beyond a simple 'terrorist murderer' label. However, none of that is the point - it's a controversial, highly political and potentially divisive view, that shouldn't be associated in any way with the public face of BHAFC. What if Tomer Hemed starting tweeting his views (I have no idea what they are...) on the Palestinian question?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

an awful lot of other people in the public eye should probably keep their thoughts to themself, unless they accept the backlash from those that oppose their view.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What if Tomer Hemed starting tweeting his views (I have no idea what they are...) on the Palestinian question?

Tomer Hemed has posted pictures of his involvement with the Jewish community in Brighton though. If the Israeli PM died and he expressed a message of condolence there I cannot see a problem with it, even if it might upset some who are opposed to the state of Isreal.

Yoda

English & European
Link?
This one?
Shane Duffy‏Verified account [MENTION=14730]shane[/MENTION]Duffy34 4h4 hours ago
More
More tragic news this morning, RIP Martin Mc Guinness a true hero for many off us �� god bless your family and close ones #ireland

So his tweet is only sympathising the IRA and not about the Good Friday agreement and peace? Bearing in mind his age.
Just playing devils advocate.

I was about to bring this up myself.

Maybe, just maybe, his tweet to thanking him for all his hard work as a member of Sinn Fein and finally bringing peace to Ireland and not for all his wrong doings when he was the IRA leader.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
an awful lot of other people in the public eye should probably keep their thoughts to themself, unless they accept the backlash from those that oppose their view.

Piers Morgan manages to do that fairly well, as do Donald Trump, Katie Hopkins, Gary Lineker etc.

There is too much fear of offence these days. Fearful silence is far worse than engaging in debate IMO.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
winchester.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here