Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this the worst Albion team...

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Think it was Steven Davis. We were all sort of WILLING him to score just so we could find out who he was! Up til that point he was up on the screens as number 18 and there wasn't a number 8 up there at all. Plus he looked like a little kid so we sort of assumed he was a child prodigy trialist of some sort, rather than (I'm assuming, tho still not 100% sure) the 29 year old captain of Northern Ireland! We were all saying to each other 'well if Saints dont want that trialist, we'll certainly have him!' :lol:
Yes, it was Davis. Shame we can't have him.... Extremely creative

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The fact is ,despite what you claimed, the original post is correct regarding CMS, he's never had a 15-20 goal season for us. Carry on.
The point is, Luke was replying to Viper's point that 'we haven't got a 15-20 goal striker', which isn't a fact.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
The point is, Luke was replying to Viper's point that 'we haven't got a 15-20 goal striker', which isn't a fact.

If this is the case, and COG is our 20 goal striker, you're saying he was Ulloas replacement and not Barnes. CMS hasn't scored 15 at this level and that is fact.

Either COG is our Ulloa replacement and expected to be our main goal threat, or we need to sign one, which is it?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
All I'd say to that one is they certainly didn't play like they'd just lost 5 key players. They played us off the park through their own creative attacking play rather than anything we did all that wrong. Exactly like Derby did to us in the play-offs. There was just too wide a gulf in class tonight. Their number 8 ran the show.

I think that's true, but each goal conceded was an individual mistake.

First goal - JFC driven pass shin height that caused a loss of possession, plus Stockdale near post.

Second Goal - poor clearance, Hughes I Think

Third goal - Ince sloppy control

All of that aside the gulf in class was immense and the score could have been 4 or 5.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Don't panic Wait see who we add to the squad and Southampton may have sold some players but they been developing a good team and bought well and have a good manager less said about the assistant manager. I think in the first couple of seasons we would have taken our final position in the League. Let's have the same thread in October.
Keep the faith.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If this is the case, and COG is our 20 goal striker, you're saying he was Ulloas replacement and not Barnes. CMS hasn't scored 15 at this level and that is fact.

Either COG is our Ulloa replacement and expected to be our main goal threat, or we need to sign one, which is it?

We need a Ulloa replacement. The side is going to be at least 15 goals short and that was our problem last year. COG and CMS are both 10-12 goals each this season. Throw in 20 odd from midfield ( incl our non-prolific wingers ) and 8-10 from defenders and you are up to roughly 50-55. We need a minimum of 70 goals as we are likely to concede more this season.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
First Amex Season compared with now:

Ankergran / Ankergran
Brez / Stockdale

Painter / Chicksen
Greer / Greer
Dunk / Dunk
Adam / Hughes
Calderon / Calderon
Vincelot / Bruno

Bridcutt / Ince
Navarro / Crofts
Dicker / JFC
Sparrow / Toko
Harley / Kemy

Buckley / Buckley
LuaLua / LuaLua
Noone / March

Barnes / O'Grady
CMS / CMS
Hoskins / Goodwin

Considering the transfer window hasn't finished, I'd take our squad now. We're only one quality LB, CF and creative midfielder away from challenging the top 8 again.
well apart from the keeper very similar quality
crofts better than then
bridcutt noone better than now
and I think the league standard overall is better than then

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well this is our squad not our team. We don't know what that will be yet. We will be signing 3-4 further players who are likely to be play 30-40 games each for us this season.
Then we can judge... O Grady, Goodwin, Chicksen, Ankergren, Calde, Kemy, perhaps even CMS given we have 2 further strikers to buy, more than likely will be fringe/squad players or on bench ... Or rather a lot of them will.
We will have a first team quad of 24 or so. They can't all play.
Painter, Navarro, Dicker, Calde, Ankergren all played regular first team football in 2011/12 although Mattock arrived for the 2nd half.
The squad, "on paper", will be much much stronger than 2011/12. The teams *on paper* will easily be.
Whether that translates into top 6 or top 2 , i've no idea. Its not FIFA :)

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I wouldn't go as far as saying it's our worst team/squad of the Amex era but I do think certain area's of the team are looking at their weakest, mainly left back, creativity and goal threat. The worrying thing is we're 8 days away from the start of the season, we've run out of pre-season friendlies and we still don't look any nearer to signing the players we need. I get the feeling that if we don't make a few significant signings between now and Tuesday then the likes of Tony Bloom, Paul Barber and Sami Hyypia could be in for a bit of a rough shunt at the fans forum.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We got a week till start of the season.We need at least 4 new first team players and have no asst manager...This is a car crash waiting to happen.Someone needs to grow a pair and tells Bloom the whole thing is a mess atm.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We got a week till start of the season.We need at least 4 new first team players and have no asst manager...This is a car crash waiting to happen.Someone needs to grow a pair and tells Bloom the whole thing is a mess atm.

One of the first teams we play this season is Leeds United. That really is a car crash.
I'm not sure that the club are unaware we need 4 new players who are likely to play 30-40 first team games this season to complete the squad.
Bloom, Hyypia (as quoted in the Argus this morning), Barber (in the programme last night), Burke, The Media (every journalist etc etc), fan (On twitter,here,) barely say anything else. Every single time they open their mouths. Most other clubs are saying exactly the same. Hardly anyone in the Championship has completed their squads.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I think the squad is no weaker than the one we entered the Amex era with but we have lost the major momentum we built up with the move and the poyet era. It feels a bit flat at the moment and we need some real quality adding to the squad and a player who makes the fans sit up and take notice and lifts the whole place

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If this is the case, and COG is our 20 goal striker, you're saying he was Ulloas replacement and not Barnes.
Not at all. You said 'we haven't got a 15-20 goal striker' and given that O'Grady scored 15 last year I'm just pointing out that's an opinion, not a fact.

CMS hasn't scored 15 at this level and that is fact.
I didn't say otherwise. And since he's only fallen short because of injury, it doesn't mean he's not capable of scoring that many.

We'd like to sign one, but that doesn't mean we don't currently have a player capable of getting 15.

Yes, thanks.
You're welcome. Thanks for the thumbs down :rolleyes:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We are incredibly poor in the striking department now we have sold Leo.

Hoping for some serious investment of the cash from that deal to buy in a decent new man up front.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I'm not exactly bubbling with enthusiasm over the pre-season performances but to be judging this as possibly one of the 'worst Albion teams at the Amex' BEFORE they have even played a competitive match is plain IDIOTIC.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Not the worst, but the most disjointed. A victim of circumstances, I feel that this year (in the very least) will be a transitional period where the new (3rd at the Amex) manager can take some time to develop what he as got, weed out the unwanted, bring in his own players and ideas along with some developing youngsters hopefully.

This will NOT happen overnight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here