Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The best thing ever bought from the Aldi "mad middle" section...

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Only just discovered lidl and have to say very impressed the snob in me had stopped me going before but the need to reduce the shopping budget has encouraged me to visit

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I've found that the tills don't have enough room past the scanner for your stuff and the checkout staff can pass the items through at WARP SPEED. So quick that it takes the pair of us to both bag up simultaneously and so quick we can't separate frozen, jars, fresh stuff properly!

Does your one have a shelf in the window past the checkouts? I believe the idea is that you shove your stuff back in the trolley/basket and then actually pack over at the shelf. That's how (and others I see) do it. Much easier and keeps the queue flowing more quickly.

Does your one have a shelf in the window past the checkouts? I believe the idea is that you shove your stuff back in the trolley/basket and then actually pack over at the shelf. That's how (and others I see) do it. Much easier and keeps the queue flowing more quickly.

When ours first opened they used to put out of date (just) bread on this shelf to take for free! Sadly human greed being what it is folks used to come in, load up a trolley with the lot and depart, which wasn't in the spirit of what was intended so they stopped doing it.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Bought a steel chiminea a few weeks back for £20. Seems to be the same as ones going in Homebase for £50. It probably won't last the winter, but gives me a few months of deluding myself that I am middle class.

Lush

Mods' Pet

Which is how they keep their prices low, instead of filling the store with checkouts and checkout staff waiting for people to pack their stuff in alphabetical order or whatever system that takes forever.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Which is how they keep their prices low, instead of filling the store with checkouts and checkout staff waiting for people to pack their stuff in alphabetical order or whatever system that takes forever.

Yup. To be honest, I think packing on the shelf is much easier. You can happily pack at your own rate and sort yourself out without the pressure of knowing someone's in the queue behind you.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
The Lidl 'bags for life' are massive and fabulous. You can carry a hundredweight of veg and still have room for all your middle-aisle extras.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Alternatively race the checkout operator - my Lidl/Aldi patent pending packing methodology is second to none, backed up by a slick execution. Now if they would just put this in the Olympics !

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
You know those random goods in the middle which are only there for blokes out shopping with t'missus judging by who hangs around them.

I bought a 2 man Kayak with loads of accessories back in January for about 20 notes...inflated it is IMMENSE, it has cushions, waterproof tent storage and even a compass built in. My kids have lived in the sod for most of the holidays and it is far more comfy and performs just as well as the hugely expensive and difficult to transport ones owned by their cousins, better in fact.

What have YOU Bagged in there that you now use all the time?

Brought a torque wrench a few years ago for £7.50. Did not like it, put it on Ebay and got £23.50 for it.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Seriously? We've started using the one in lewes the last few months. We can,buy nearly a months shopping barring milk, bread and veg for just over £100. It's amazing.

I've found that the tills don't have enough room past the scanner for your stuff and the checkout staff can pass the items through at WARP SPEED. So quick that it takes the pair of us to both bag up simultaneously and so quick we can't separate frozen, jars, fresh stuff properly!

I find the queues quicker than the likes of tesco, Asda etc.

we use the aldi branch in portslade, I spoke to one of the members of staff on the tills and she was saying that they have to scan a certain amount of items through the till to meet a target so that's why they do it fast. Also another reason why it is so small is because you're supposed to take your shopping to the side and bag it away from the till "apparently" I believe their is a sign saying this, I could be wrong.
I love aldi to be fair. if you like a burger go for the aldi special deal and its called a wagyu burger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here