Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Songs that you didn't like when you were an opinionated youngster that you now appreciate.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
"She" by Charles Aznavour

I wasn't quite a teenager when this was released in 1974 but it certainly held no appeal to me or any of my peers as it sat rather incongruously in the charts which were populated at the time by such musical maestros as Mud, Suzi Quatro, Alvin Stardust and David Essex. The charts and Top of the Pops weren't really the place for this middle aged, balding little Frenchman singing this tedious dirge.

How wrong I was. The song is absolutely sublime. My later reappraisal of the song led me to further explore the music of Aznavour and I discovered he is a highly accomplished song writer and a brilliant lyricist.

His credibility as a recording artist has been acknowledged by one of the best. Bob Dylan said of Aznavour, "I like Charles Aznavour a lot, I saw him in sixty-something at Carnegie Hall, and he just blew my brains out".

https://youtu.be/nxaZMreym88

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Through the seventies I listened to pretty much everything, except for ska. Through the eighties I listened to most things, but not ska.
I quite often find myself nowadays rowing, strolling and skanking in the kitchen(my version, live with it) to most of the stuff I didn't like back then. However, the smiths are and always will be music to suck lemons by regardless of how many times you try to listen to them

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Have to disagree, his voice may be an acquired taste but nobody DELIVERS the lyrics like Dylan does except maybe Sinatra. The Byrds did the best cover versions of his songs imo but they changed them around completely.

I feel a thread for best Dylan covers coming on

I always used to love the Manfred Mann version of the Mighty Quinn, and only relatively recently came across the original Dylan version. The difference is he sounds as if he means it.

Always liked the Byrds "Mr Tambourine Man, but bought the original Dylan album with it on in the 1960's. I can't listen to the Dylan version without skipping back to play it again. With him it becomes poetry rather than song lyrics.

Can't help thinking that is pretentious cr@p I've just written, but his own songs in his own hands are incomparable in my eyes.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Never really cared for the Beatles, now have most of their albums. Same with Dylan. Daughter got me to listen to The Cure who I always dismissed but really appreciate them now. Always was a closet Motown and Philly fan but growing up listening to Led Zep was hard to admit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well that's me told then...

Still think the first two albums were Art Rock Masterpieces but they ended up with Avalon which was AOR rubbish.

No. Avalon is a masterpiece. And I LOVE Eno. Give it a chance :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower - thread already closed. It may be imagination but when I saw him live once I am sure he introduced the song as "...this is a cover of a Jimi Hendrix tune".

...Back on topic. In the early '80's I was a regular at places such as the Hungry Years, rock was king and things like soul were for softies. Now I listen to and like many genres (never, ever have got reggae and suspect I never will though). Like Stax and other Southern Soul, various brands of Country, folk and still always tune to Planet Rock when in the car.

I was also a years man.

Give reggae a bash. Try these :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDr0-Gv9jZc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQFKMar4x-w

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Was distracted by Bowie and Bolan in the first half of the seventies, and consumed by Punk in the second half of the seventies, so never really 'got' Neil Young. Do now.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Just about anything by Frank Sinatra

One of the things that persuaded me that my relationship with my ex was doomed was when she said that she thought that Frank couldn’t sing. I thought she was kidding at first, but no, she thought he couldn’t sing.
I can of course understand someone not liking Frank - but “he can’t sing”?

Doomed, I tell you, doomed.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Heard some Depeche Mode this morning and remember seeing this thread.. At the time, they didnt do it for me, but recently, I have found myself appreciating them..

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Techno music was something I didn't really get when I was a youngster. I was mainly listening to less sophisticated stuff like Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Santana and so on. Once me and my music taste matured, then Techno seemed to sound better and better.
Songs like this I couldn't stand when younger. Love it now :

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here