Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Eric Bristow RIP

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Financed Phil Taylor in the early days so Taylor has often regaled.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Time to let go..........of the dart. Oops!

Dartitis destroyed his career. I never understood it. I mean snooker players used to let go of their cue. A shot was more vital than a single dart but nobody's ever had that problem in snooker. ???

It exists in snooker too. I've heard it referred to as cue-itis, or rest-itis when specific to using a rest. Hendry has had it. This article refers to it borrowing the golfing term 'The Yips': http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/9267691.stm

My old man suffered from dartitis after half a century of playing the game with no problem. He never really got over it properly and eventually just stopped playing. It is really frustrating to even watch someone suffering with it, because it's just so hard to compute what is going on. I know that Bristow tried everything, even playing with just the light from a single candle for some reason. It's a shame he has joined Syd in going too early. In the heyday of the BDO he was the box office draw. Early eighties TV sport: You just had to support Ovett over Coe, Higgins over Davis, and Bristow over everyone.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
RIP Eric.Remember him and Bobby George in the pub at Camber betting £50 a point on 501.Pint in one hand,darts in the other,lit fag behind his ear,larger than life.

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
Other than footballers, he was my sporting hero when I was growing up. He was the reason I took up darts.

Met him a few years ago at Rileys on London Road, he was playing in a tournament including Keith Deller. I popped outside for a smoke and he was out there having one himself, he was more than happy to talk about the good old days etc.

R I P fella.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Time to let go..........of the dart. Oops!

Dartitis destroyed his career. I never understood it. I mean snooker players used to let go of their cue. A shot was more vital than a single dart but nobody's ever had that problem in snooker. ???

I dont think dartitis just affects a single dart, it affects their whole game then the anxiety of expecting it for the next game, irrational fear of the fear. It affects snooker players too, remember a local guy who used to play at the same club as me, I think he made the top 32 for a while but didnt come back out once on telly whilst playing against the rocket. Described it as something similar, and no amount of therapies seems to fix them, they give up their careers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here