Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Salmond - History?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I had a chat last night with my 16 year old daughter. She has no idea of monetary markets work; no idea what taxes are spent on; and no idea on how parliament works.

The same could be said for a large proportion of NSC though, or the wider adult world.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would never trust her to vote sensibly on an issue like this or a general election. She wouldn't trust herself.

The very idea of 16 year olds voting fills me with horror. Get yourself into the world of work (or unemployment) post 18 and we'll talk.
Indeed. It's easy for people like Salmond to big up 16 year olds and win their vote, but 16 year olds shouldn't be deciding the future of the UK.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Actor Brian Cox "Alex Salmond is the best political leader in the UK" :lolol:
What a bitter, sore loser Cox is. Nothing but insults from him.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Did they distinguish the votes by age then? I thought it was a 2 question vote, or were there separate polling booths for younger voters?

I believe polling came up with these numbers, while polls themselves aren't always accurate I suspect you can trust the spread across age groups.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I had a chat last night with my 16 year old daughter. She has no idea of monetary markets work; no idea what taxes are spent on; and no idea on how parliament works.

She's passionate about dance, drama and seeing her friends. She has just finished being a child and is not yet an adult. She's charming, courteous and freely admits she has loads to learn.

I would never trust her to vote sensibly on an issue like this or a general election. She wouldn't trust herself.

The very idea of 16 year olds voting fills me with horror. Get yourself into the world of work (or unemployment) post 18 and we'll talk.

Exactly how did the 16 year olds get the vote ? They may think they know everything, but they know virtually nothing. They've never had a job, paid a mortgage or tax or had to put food on the table. Given the rebellious nature of youth, they are almost saways going to vote against the establishment. Salmond pulled a fast one there

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I believe polling came up with these numbers, while polls themselves aren't always accurate I suspect you can trust the spread across age groups.

So not based on facts or evidence, just on theory and guesswork then. It may be true that a lot of young uns voted yes, and a lot of gnarly old uns probably voted yes too. Oh, and quarter of Glaswegians apparently didn't bother to vote at all, I bet a lot of them were young too.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Indeed. It's easy for people like Salmond to big up 16 year olds and win their vote, but 16 year olds shouldn't be deciding the future of the UK.

i take it that now 16 year olds will be able to vote across the board, or was this a one off caving in to nationalist demands from westminster? if its a one off, its beyond shameful.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Exactly how did the 16 year olds get the vote ? They may think they know everything, but they know virtually nothing. They've never had a job, paid a mortgage or tax or had to put food on the table. Given the rebellious nature of youth, they are almost saways going to vote against the establishment. Salmond pulled a fast one there

What it shows is that the YES campaign had pretty much everything loaded in their favour and still lost.

Salmond probably thinks he can do this referendum thing every couple of years but I don't think we'll see another independence vote for decades.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He has admitted defeat, but was less than gracious, saying that the Scots had just not voted for independence yet. He was very demanding in declaring that next 'Scotland Bill' be delivered on time and without delay. He banged on about 1.6 million votes for the yes vote, whilst giving no mention of the no vote. The only positive comment he gave was that he respected the democratic choice of the electorate and encouraged his supporters to do the same.

Is this the end of the road for the Salmond/Sturgeon show?

i expected nothing else

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What intrigues me is that the only poll which gave the Yes campaign a lead was in the Sunday Times (proprietor Rupert Murdoch), and the one person who came out of Leveson inquiry very badly (Rupert Murdoch) was out for revenge against the coalition and Labour, and would have wanted a Yes win to give the Westminster smugfest a punch on the nose. I wonder if the two things were connected?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
What intrigues me is that the only poll which gave the Yes campaign a lead was in the Sunday Times (proprietor Rupert Murdoch), and the one person who came out of Leveson inquiry very badly (Rupert Murdoch) was out for revenge against the coalition and Labour, and would have wanted a Yes win to give the Westminster smugfest a punch on the nose. I wonder if the two things were connected?

I'd say that the some apathetic NO voters made sure they went to the voting polls after that Sunday Times poll scared them into action.

Backfired on Murdock if true.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
He has admitted defeat, but was less than gracious, saying that the Scots had just not voted for independence yet. He was very demanding in declaring that next 'Scotland Bill' be delivered on time and without delay. He banged on about 1.6 million votes for the yes vote, whilst giving no mention of the no vote. The only positive comment he gave was that he respected the democratic choice of the electorate and encouraged his supporters to do the same.

Is this the end of the road for the Salmond/Sturgeon show?

Is it also going to trigger a name change for the party? Surely "SNP" will have to disband or change name now that the majority of Scots have said they don't want this "Nationalist" agenda quite as much as Alex does.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Not sure that the result of a newspaper poll would swing votes either way. However, does he own any Scottish rags and did they throw their weight behind the yes campaign in the manner of The Stun's famous backing for Hilda ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not sure that the result of a newspaper poll would swing votes either way. However, does he own any Scottish rags and did they throw their weight behind the yes campaign in the manner of The Stun's famous backing for Hilda ?

I believe The Scottish Sun is one of his. It did support the Yes campaign in terms of its coverage of the event, but I don't think went as far as endorsing it on the day of the election, as Rupe doesn't like to be seen backing losers.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Unless I'm missing something crucial, despite the No vote Salmond is the real winner here. The Yes lot didn't even expect it, in their immense arrogance, to be close

A marginal no means devo max, which is actually probably better than independence and may well act as a further stepping stone to it.

He may have lost the battle here but he's winning the war.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here