Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tammy Abraham

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I take your point, but if on 12th August our forward line is Baldock/Abrahams, or Murray/Abrahams, I think we're in for a long season.

It's far more likely to be Abraham starting, with Murray and/or Baldock coming on after 60-70 mins. We'll start the majority of games 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 next season, CH has indicated as much. We might well switch to 4-4-2 if we're chasing a game, and start some home games with that formation.
We could have gone for Defoe, but B'muff are spending £20m over three years (when he'll be 37) to secure his services. We need to be realistic about who we'll have up-front, and Abraham seems as good an option as any that's available.
There was a good 'Moneyball' thread on here a few months back which indicated that we have spent comparatively more on defensive players, rather than attacking ones in contrast to our rivals ('the Derby way' or, more recently, the Wednesday way). I think we may well go for a big name in goal, and that's far more likely to happen than a big attacking name. This is even more the case given the likelihood of Abraham's availability. If we do manage to stay up, then we might go bigger on a forward next summer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Tammy Abraham struck me at the Amex as a big brave boy with bad hair, a very smart player, and not afraid to go in when the boots were flying. A definite massive upgrade to our existing strike force, should we be fortunate enough to land him and tie him down to a long contract.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Only 2 loans allowed from emglish clubs so one of those would need to be a buy.

Can you clarify what you mean here please? Are you saying Albion could only loan 2 players FROM CHELSEA, or that they could only loan 2 players from any and all English clubs combined?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think he'd be a great signing, as although he'd take up a loan spot (something the first XI haven't been overly reliant on under Hughton), he wouldn't count towards the 25 man squad due to his age, would not be on astronomical wages, and presumably would not cost us a large loan fee providing he's getting experience in the first team. Even if he didn't set the world alight with us, he'd be a wonderful addition to the squad in an area that we are currently a little light on.

Also, I would highly doubt he is our number one striking option.

Chelsea are supposedly giving him a pay rise to £45K a week before sending him back out on loan.
Crazy money for a kid!

Saw him 4 times last season and he was unimpressive on every occasion EXCEPT he had good hold up play and decent pace. What I didn't get to see was the ability he clearly has to be in the right place at the right time and to think clearly. That must've happened in a fair proportion of the other games he played in. Undoubted quality but still a lot to learn.

Last edited:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Chelsea are supposedly giving him a pay rise to £45K a week before sending him back out on loan.
Crazy money for a kid!

Yeah it is crazy money for a kid.

But it isn't £130,000pw for a 34 year old crazy money is it. When you think of what other strikers in the PL are on, though unproven, £45k doesn't seem that much.

Problem with my statement is that he is a) a revelation for the Albion, scores goals and £45k is seen as a bargain to keep us up, or b) Unable to reach the heights he seems destined for and he is branded a £45k pw burden.

Unlike a big money English striker though, he doesn't impact our 25 man squad, which is worth an outlay in itself in my opinion. He may be wonderful, he may be a flop but he wouldn't take up any squad space either way!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Would be a terrific signing.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Good player than Abraham clearly is. I see him as competition for Murray and Hemed rather than Baldock. Personally, if we can get him I would and would move on Hemed who I think is short of this level. I still think we need someone who is a threat running in behind defenders and I'm not sure that is Tammy's game.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Tammy Abraham struck me at the Amex as a big brave boy with bad hair, a very smart player, and not afraid to go in when the boots were flying. A definite massive upgrade to our existing strike force, should we be fortunate enough to land him and tie him down to a long contract.

If he signs, IF, it will be on loan.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It's far more likely to be Abraham starting, with Murray and/or Baldock coming on after 60-70 mins. We'll start the majority of games 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 next season, CH has indicated as much. We might well switch to 4-4-2 if we're chasing a game, and start some home games with that formation.
We could have gone for Defoe, but B'muff are spending £20m over three years (when he'll be 37) to secure his services. We need to be realistic about who we'll have up-front, and Abraham seems as good an option as any that's available.
There was a good 'Moneyball' thread on here a few months back which indicated that we have spent comparatively more on defensive players, rather than attacking ones in contrast to our rivals ('the Derby way' or, more recently, the Wednesday way). I think we may well go for a big name in goal, and that's far more likely to happen than a big attacking name. This is even more the case given the likelihood of Abraham's availability. If we do manage to stay up, then we might go bigger on a forward next summer.

I would be worried if we are not going to spend out on another striker. Relying on TA would be great for him and chelsea, not so great for us. They won't sell him.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
.....but if on 12th August our forward line is Murray / Abrahams I think we're in for a long season.
I totally agree, if our forward line is Murray Abraham I think we're in for a very long season... but I don't know what would possess Chris to go down that route.
images.jpg

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I would be worried if we are not going to spend out on another striker. Relying on TA would be great for him and chelsea, not so great for us. They won't sell him.

Of course they won't sell him, if we get him it'll be on a season-long loan (hence my comment about next summer) which also means we won't be lumbered with an expensive striker on high wages if we get relegated.
The question for you though is, who would this other striker be -- give us some of the players you have in mind.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Abraham would not be a partner for Murray, he would fight it out with Murray to start with probably Gross sitting in behind or Baldock.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Of course they won't sell him, if we get him it'll be on a season-long loan (hence my comment about next summer) which also means we won't be lumbered with an expensive striker on high wages if we get relegated.
The question for you though is, who would this other striker be -- give us some of the players you have in mind.

I am no scout and I mainly watch Championship football so that puts me at a bit of a disadvantage, but you can't tell me there aren't a multitude of options that we've never heard of out there, some posing bigger risks than others. That's what we pay our recruitment team for and if the best they can come up with is Abraham then they should have saved the money and just employed me for nothing as I could tell them he's a decent option.

For what it's worth, here's one: Javier Hernandez 28, on c60k a week at 13th placed Leverkusen in Bundesliga. Proven PL goalscorer and natural finisher, doubt would cost more than 15M.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If and when TA does arrive at the Amex, it'll show Albion has the 'attraction factor', rather than following blindly the larger carrots of the Toon!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I am no scout and I mainly watch Championship football so that puts me at a bit of a disadvantage, but you can't tell me there aren't a multitude of options that we've never heard of out there, some posing bigger risks than others. That's what we pay our recruitment team for and if the best they can come up with is Abraham then they should have saved the money and just employed me for nothing as I could tell them he's a decent option.

For what it's worth, here's one: Javier Hernandez 28, on c60k a week at 13th placed Leverkusen in Bundesliga. Proven PL goalscorer and natural finisher, doubt would cost more than 15M.

Hasn't Hernandez just had another good season at champions league Leverkusen, becoming the Mexican with the most Champions League appearances ever...

The guy is a world class striker who when frozen out at Manure went on loan to lowly Real Madrid...

More chance of Peter Ward and BZ lining up in the stripes on Aug 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
...you can't tell me there aren't a multitude of options that we've never heard of out there

I agree and think we'll go for a relatively unknown striker from Europe. How many years have we tried to second guess the club's transfer targets, only to be proved completely wrong!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Hasn't Hernandez just had another good season at champions league Leverkusen, becoming the Mexican with the most Champions League appearances ever...

The guy is a world class striker who when frozen out at Manure went on loan to lowly Real Madrid...

More chance of Peter Ward and BZ lining up in the stripes on Aug 12

That's why I'm not a scout, though I don't think you could call it a good season and his CL days are over unless he moves to Turkey or somewhere like that. But yes you're right, Everton a more likely destination.

Point I was making is that there are plenty of options overseas that we have little to no knowledge about.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

good shout, but can't see us spunking out £15m

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here