Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leaving early

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can see myself tutting disdainfully at everyone leaving early there. That was our equal record win in the top division and a good proportion didn't even see the final goal. I will never ever understand it.

Yet if IF Jurgen turns into a legend, they'll be 50,000 Albion fans who saw his first league goal.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
The Amex is probably the easiest ground to get away from if you plan it right.

Bang on, even if you're an away fan and probably don't have a plan. Speaking personally, Saturday football is about The Day. I've never legged it from the ground at 4.45 as hanging around drinking with everyone and watching the TVs is a great way to 'come down' and finish off the afternoon. Then strolling to the station and getting to The Evening Star is an absolute breeze.

As an away fan, it's still about The Day. Surely there's no reason to leave early if you've gone to all the trouble and expense of getting there in the first place? I've only ever left a game early once - when a friend's dad dragged said friend and me out of Watford in the mid-80s, 3-0 down. I missed Terry Connor's consolation goal and have never really forgiven him!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Surely if people are moaning about people leaving early then they're actually spending time watching out for people leaving early rather than watching the game, thus effectively making them no better than the early leavers?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
In the scale of leaving early crimes, this is forgivable in my book.

Out of genuine interest, say we are 2-2 with ManU who are down to 10 men, we are pressing for a winner that guarantees us survival, would you break your routine?

I do break the routine from time to time. Game right in the balance, hanging on or pressing. Then its stay in seat to final seconds and then whoosh, away as quickly as poss.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We really are feeling content at the moment. When there is really nothing else to moan about and no players we can scapegoat this thread reappears.

Ash69

Jun 20, 2013
Facilities wise, I don't understand why football grounds can't have doors to keep the cold out under the stands, they manage to install this miraculous invention for the 1901 fans. I don't blame people for wanting to get out a couple of minutes early rather than hang around in a queue for an hour freezing their cojones off. The tickets aren't cheap to watch football, surely a door, maybe a blast of warm air too, isn't too much to ask?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Everyone has a right to leave when they please. But it is in the interests of the club to ensure as many people stay for the duration of the game and afterwards in the concourses. If the stands are full, it benefits the players and enthuses the other fans. Therefore any improvement in the transport structure would be a huge plus and have some kind of positive effect, reducing the numbers of early leavers.

I agree but until the club comes up with some improvements then people have to do whats best for them. I guess a lot of the fans cannot afford to commit 6 hours or they travel so far the minutes do count. My personal approach is to wait to the final kick, clap the team off, occasionally boo the reff, go onto the concourse and have a drink and leave around 18:00 and get the last P+R to the Race Hill to walk home back to Woodingdean!!!!.

I do think there are improvements that could be made e.g. provide some sort of shelter for the bus queues and provide some sort of ticketing whereby I know that should I arrive at 17:00 then I will get a bus in next 20 mins rather than queue for 40 -60 mins.

People leaving early probably make it easier for those who leave later as they are not competing with htose who leave later.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It has become quite amusing in the ESL blocks A and B, as early leavers appear to synchronise their leaving collectively and it has got slightly earlier as the season has worn on. The season started at 86, but now it's 84.

This mass leaving is predetermined regardless of the game situation, or anything else. When that clock clicks to 84, it was like an episode of Dr Who when some mind control switch went, and literally a few hundred people all got up at exactly the same moment. I would go as far as to say it's become a phenomenon. With that many leaving early, collectively at the same time, no wonder they break out in a run to ensure they retain their advantage.

I love the fact our stadium stays open after a game. I guess it is a massive advantage that so many do stay behind to stagger the leaving.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Here is an idea?

So you all know the badge wimmin wear when with child and looking for seating in a bus or train?

Well what about a badge for people who don't live all comfortable and tea cosy in Brighton or Hove or the immediate environs.

"I DON'T LIVE HERE"

Then they can be smiled and waved off for a safe journey and any one who beegles of early and who lives in Hangleton or Woodingdean et al can be absolutely beasted?

Yeah?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'd pay £5 extra each (£10 total) for priority bus boarding.

What?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Sake! You've done it now :facepalm: Barber will have Speedy Boarding up and running by Sunday.
[MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] OUT!

As long as I get my free lifetime priority pass for suggesting the idea, then all good. :thumbsup:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It has become quite amusing in the ESL blocks A and B, as early leavers appear to synchronise their leaving collectively and it has got slightly earlier as the season has worn on. The season started at 86, but now it's 84.

This mass leaving is predetermined regardless of the game situation, or anything else. When that clock clicks to 84, it was like an episode of Dr Who when some mind control switch went, and literally a few hundred people all got up at exactly the same moment. I would go as far as to say it's become a phenomenon. With that many leaving early, collectively at the same time, no wonder they break out in a run to ensure they retain their advantage.

I love the fact our stadium stays open after a game. I guess it is a massive advantage that so many do stay behind to stagger the leaving.

It's the same in WL which I sit at the back of. It's abit like a game of whack-a-mole as the clock approaches 80, heads keep popping up and turning, surveying the land and approach. The calm before the storm, who will make their move first...

Then like you said, as if by magic a couple hundred people jump up at the same time and stampede for the exits. Most of them not even bothering to turn around as Abraham/Dunk scored. Must be ****ing annoying for those around them trying to watch the game.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Hmmm...stand around in a freezing cold concrete concourse drinking near frozen gnats piss that tries to masquerade as beer OR sit down in a cozy public house drinking proper ale? Now let me think...........

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Club already does more than any other. Perhaps a few small issues could be resolved apart from that people have to realise they are 1 of 30000.
I totally agree. Although I hate the bridge but need to use it, I think the transport links from the amex are superb. I was merely commenting on the past which asked why to the op.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Everyone has a right to leave when they please. But it is in the interests of the club to ensure as many people stay for the duration of the game and afterwards in the concourses. If the stands are full, it benefits the players and enthuses the other fans. Therefore any improvement in the transport structure would be a huge plus and have some kind of positive effect, reducing the numbers of early leavers.

Absolutely right.

But I'm afraid it's the one issue where the club fail miserably.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Hmmm...stand around in a warm concrete concourse watching highlights of the match I watched in full and chat about the game OR miss 10+ mins and sit down in a cozy public house drinking proper ale 30mins earlier than I would do anyway? Now let me think...........

Fixed for you. I'll go for the former.

Jan 30, 2008
For me, the pre-match experience is far more important than post match. Leave home approx 9.00am. Pick up friends en route. Dicks Bar early ( 12.15-12.30 ) Meet others. Drinks. Expectant chat. Watch televised game in full. Await team announcement.
For me, its all about getting away as quickly as possible, whilst missing as little as possible. Out of seat after board goes up, linger at top of stairs, quick loo if necessary. Walking along concourse and out of ground as final whistle blows. Out of Uni reasonably quickly. Home between 8.00 and 8.30pm, depending on motorways. Got it off to a fine art.
Stay to final whistle and clap off adds 45 mins to 1 hour extra on journey. We all do what suits us best.
O.C.D ???
regards
DR

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
What's far more annoying that early leavers, is those who stay until the end and then walk off without showing any appreciation to the players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here