Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Found wallet

What would you do

• Kept the money, chuck wallet

Votes: 35 21.0%
  • Hand it in

Votes: 132 79.0%

• Total voters

i would have kept the stirling and handed the rest in tbh......hope you are rewarded for your honesty...did you leave details ....did they ask for details even...??

Yes, they took my name, address and phone number.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Outside Gatwick North Terminal arrivals yesterday.

Inside was £850 in Sterling and 4000 of Saudi money, various cards with Arabic words.

What would you have done.

The police had an unprecedented number of wallets handed in yesterday.
Strangely the majority were empty except for a Bournemouth v Brighton football ticket.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I was going to a game at the Amex last season and my wallet must have fallen out of my car door. It took me about five minutes for me to realise I didn't have it on me but when I headed back to where I was parked at the university there was no sign of it. Inside were my three season tickets, all my cards and £40 in cash.

A few days later I received a call from a Palace fan who had spotted the discarded wallet on the fast lane of the A27, stopped his van to retrieve it, and tracked me down. The cash was gone but everything else was there. Someone must have found the wallet at the university, trousered the notes and later thrown it out of a moving vehicle.

Good bloke – I gave him some wine as a thank-you but I know I would have done the same if I'd spotted a wallet in the road.

One for the impressively high number of Sparks fans on here

https://youtu.be/UkMTUN7xMls

Lost and found, a wallet from a man, careless man, careless man
Too bad, too bad, too bad, too bad
And all the streets are paved tonight, and we won't be their slaves tonight
And I ain't gonna feel bad at all, feel bad at all
He's Robin Hood by accident
I need it more than he does and
I surely will not feel bad at all, feel bad at all, feel bad at all, feel bad at all, feel
bad at all, feel bad at all

Oh is there anybody out there by the name of Mister Jones?
No? No? Well, I tried
Lost and found, lost and found, lost and found, lost and found

We sailed across the Barbary Sea, with Nina, Pinto, and Marie
And none of us will feel bad at all, feel bad at all,
feel bad at all, feel bad at all, feel bad at all, feel bad at all, feel bad at all
Yes, all the streets are paved tonight, and we won't be their slaves tonight
And I ain't gonna feel bad at all, feel bad at all
Lost and found, lost and found, lost and found, lost and found

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Difficult, if they're obviously foreign I'd say finders keepers, if they're English I'd probably Google their address, see where they live and make my assessment based off of that. [emoji106]
My mum is 'foreign' as is my wife, that's a pretty poor assessment in my eyes.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I always find these kind of polls interesting, being in the airport seems to have swayed the vote. If you found the same amount whilst walking the dog late at night would the outcome be the same I wonder? Plus know one wants to look bad on a public forum. Also for the morally correct would your same rule apply to a tenner found on the pavement?

Justify it to yourself however you like - if you'd have kept the cash / wallet in the OPs scenario, or if you found it 'walking the dog late at night' you'd be a thief, plain and simple. There's really no argument.

A tenner found on the pavement really isn't the same moral argument at all. There's no realistic way of that being returned to it's rightful owner.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Over the past few years, I've separately found a phone, and a bank card, and handed them in. About three weeks ago, we'd just pulled into B&Q car park, and my husband spotted a wallet on the ground alongside our car.
We opened it and there was the owners driving licence, so after we'd shopped, we drove straight to his address to deliver it to him. He wasn't even aware it was missing. I don't know if there was any money in it, because once we'd read the driving licence, that was all we needed to know.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Some right scum on here, keep it and gets some away days booked,😂😂😂😂

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Obviously morally hand the whole lot in, otherwise you're a thief but more to the point, as others have noted, you're on CCTV. Having worked at Gatwick I was present when someone picked up someone else's money they had just dropped off the floor by where I worked and kept it. Once it came to light an hour or so later the police boarded the perpetrator's plane, offloaded and arrested them. Missed holiday, criminal record all for not doing the right thing.

This sounds very far fetched to me. What offence were they charged with?

The OP question appears to center around the morality of this but Is it ACTUALLY illegal to keep something you find? Where are the boundaries on this?

I've lost several wallets over the years and only once had one returned, minus the cash - which I kind of expected.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
That's what I did actually, having just got off my first ever long haul flight and not slept for 30 hours was desperate to get home, tried to give it to a fella at the cab place outside the terminal who flatly refused just as my cab showed up.

Ended up taking it with me and gave it to Burgess Hill plod later.

So you handed it in to Burgess Hill police station? Hows the guy ever going to get it back now? He might have had a slim chance if you'd given it to the Airport police but that just seems like a waste of time to me.

That's £1600 Straight into May's pocket.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So you handed it in to Burgess Hill police station? Hows the guy ever going to get it back now? He might have had a slim chance if you'd given it to the Airport police but that just seems like a waste of time to me.

That's £1600 Straight into May's pocket.

No - its all recorded. The OP is the finder. The police will presumably make efforts to identify the owner so he can collect it, and if they are unsuccessful or if he does not come forward, the OP takes ownership after a set time.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
This sounds very far fetched to me. What offence were they charged with?

The OP question appears to center around the morality of this but Is it ACTUALLY illegal to keep something you find? Where are the boundaries on this?

I've lost several wallets over the years and only once had one returned, minus the cash - which I kind of expected.

I put my hand in the till and found the money....I found this car on the street......I found this money on the floor.... Is there any difference?

No , you are taking something that does not belong to you.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I put my hand in the till and found the money....I found this car on the street......I found this money on the floor.... Is there any difference?

No , you are taking something that does not belong to you.

For goodness sake stop droning on. We get the message.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here