Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Anybody that rejects Corbyns statement that the tories don't have a mandate to govern is being a little narrow minded and short sighted. Almost to the point of only concentrating on labour to Tory voting share.

There is only one party @ the last general election pushing austerity and further cuts.

SNP, labour and lib dem polices are far more aligned in the sense that they value NHS, Police and Education. All thee parties would happily like more money pumped into these public services.

Based on the fact that the vote share of these three parties combined far outweighs the Tory share, I can safely say the majority has rejected austerity. Labour are the biggest anti austerity party. To suggest otherwise is simply foolish.

Corbyn has a right to put forward queen speech amendments. And it's the democratic right of MPs to consider them if they wish.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Tories currently in 'denial' and 'blame others.' 58bb81bd6f9e394885ed024161ae1fed94b399ef.jpg

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Where are Labour? They seem to think, with fewer MPs and a smaller vote share and no mathematical way to generate a majority, that they can 'form a government'.
Still in denial then.

How do the Tories plan on getting the youth to vote for them?

They can't use celebrity endorsement because no self-respecting celebrity with credibility will touch them.

They can't use social media because a) they don't undeestand it and b) they don't have any users willing to share their material.

They can't come up with decent policy offerings for young people because they don't have enough of them in the party.

They can't bribe young people because a) they can't communicate with them in the Daily Mail and b) The young don't trust them.

Young people came out in droves at this election and have seen they can make a difference. Armies of young people knocked doors at this election and seen it makes a difference. Engagement will increase now rather than decrease.

You are judging the result of a war by one battle.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
And as I've said in this thread before and been ignored, Labour have to say they'd form a Government because it would be incumbent on them to do so if the Tories don't get a Queen's speech through.

You really think that Labour HQ wouldn't take another election right now though?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
And as I've said in this thread before and been ignored, Labour have to say they'd form a Government because it would be incumbent on them to do so if the Tories don't get a Queen's speech through.

You really think that Labour HQ wouldn't take another election right now though?

If the Tories can't get the Queens Speech through then it will be another election or if May resigns before then it is back to the polling booth as a Government with no Prime Minister can't govern

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Still in denial then.

How do the Tory's plan on getting the youth to vote for them?

They can't use celebrity endorsement because no self-respecting celebrity with credibility will touch them.

They can't use social media because a) they don't undeestand it and b) they don't have any users willing to share their material.

They can't come up with decent policy offerings for young people because they don't have enough of them in the party.

They can't bribe young people because a) they can't communicate with them in the Daily Mail and b) The young don't trust them.

Young people came out in droves at this election and have seen they can make a difference. Armies of young people knocked doors at this election and seen it makes a difference. Engagement will increase now rather than decrease.

You are judging the result of a war by one battle.

The Tories will try to get on with the job of government and the Brexit negotiations... the rest of this is for 5 years time... and who knows what it will all look like by then?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If the Tories can't get the Queens Speech through then it will be another election or if May resigns before then it is back to the polling booth as a Government with no Prime Minister can't govern

and if my granny had wheels she would be a bus.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Tories will try to get on with the job of government and the Brexit negotiations... the rest of this is for 5 years time... and who knows what it will all look like by then?
Denial.

The change isn't 'Labour won the election,' its 'Young people shaken by the referendum result have now discovered the value of democracy.'

The odds on this Government suceeding are ridiculously low. Maybot is still in denial. Barring an unforesewn outbreak of competence or an emboldened Labour Party self destructing again the longer it goes on for the worse the electoral defeat will be.

However, the Tories can't go to the electorate again until May's gone.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

But surely that't what the DUP thing is about. If they are fully onside then it gets through, doesn't it? As for what happens after that, I'll hand over to Jacob Rees-Mogg...

When asked how long he thought Mrs May would last as prime minister, Rees-Mogg said: "May Theresa May live forever, hallelujah, hallelujah, amen."

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
But surely that't what the DUP thing is about. If they are fully onside then it gets through, doesn't it? As for what happens after that, I'll hand over to Jacob Rees-Mogg...

When asked how long he thought Mrs May would last as prime minister, Rees-Mogg said: "May Theresa May live forever, hallelujah, hallelujah, amen."
Every by-election becomes a referendum on a lame duck Government. Sleaze becomes important again like last days of Major as any Tory or DUP scalp is an opportunity to reduce their control

Opinion Polls get worse and worse.

Pressure builds and these Tories fall apart under pressure.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't know what they think.
So why did you say you did?

This debate started with you and you seem to know what people want/ think.
Some things are obvious. And the poll backed up what I thought.
Ironic that
Oh dear, are you getting upset that some people have a better understanding than you?
The truth is nobody knows what people think, as nobody really asks
But I did ask. And the poll you linked to also gives an idea of what people think.
and to be fair people's opinion on Brexit changes all the time
I agree that the recent attacks will have made a change to how some people feel about immigration, but I doubt it would be enough to make most people want a hard Brexit. But this could be tested with a new poll.

Last edited:

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Life if much more enjoyable if you are optimistic rather than banging on about crisis, chaos, uncertainty etc... :thumbsup:
Well true enough, but like Mrs May, I am not sure you have truly taken on board the full extent to which her Tory colleagues have lost all faith. Along with us, the great unwashed, who will never get that car crash of an election campaign out of our minds

#notifbutwhen

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008

This government won't even last a year, if that. The PM won't last the summer.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Every by-election becomes a referendum on a lame duck Government. Sleaze becomes important again like last days of Major as any Tory or DUP scalp is an opportunity to reduce their control

Opinion Polls get worse and worse.

Pressure builds and these Tories fall apart under pressure.

Undoubtedly. But we weren't talking about that. We were talking about the Queen's Speech.

Surely the Tory whip and DUP deal get that through, don't they? I might be being massively naive with that assumption, but I'm interested to understand why it might not get through.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Five years time? A tad optimistic methinks.

... The odds on this Government suceeding are ridiculously low. Maybot is still in denial. Barring an unforesewn outbreak of competence or an emboldened Labour Party self destructing again the longer it goes on for the worse the electoral defeat will be...

This government won't even last a year, if that. The PM won't last the summer.

You may well be right.. but I remember similar things being said about the Con/LDem coalition... and that is usually much harder to keep together than a 'confidence & supply arrangement'.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here