Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Couch To 5k

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So, did the 25 min run at the end of week six. 3.68km in 25 mins, so I'd guess I'm about 6 mins too slow for a 5 km in 30, but achievable. Three 25 minutes runs in Week 7, three 28 minute runs Week 8 and three 30 minute runs Week 9. If I'm on target the final Week Nine run will be the Horsham, Bognor or Chichester Parkrun. I couldn't have even run for 10 minutes a few weeks ago, so very pleased!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So, did the 25 min run at the end of week six. 3.68km in 25 mins, so I'd guess I'm about 6 mins too slow for a 5 km in 30, but achievable. Three 25 minutes runs in Week 7, three 28 minute runs Week 8 and three 30 minute runs Week 9. If I'm on target the final Week Nine run will be the Horsham, Bognor or Chichester Parkrun. I couldn't have even run for 10 minutes a few weeks ago, so very pleased!

Fabulous stuff........you’ll almost certainly find the 5k times will tumble down quite quickly at first if you keep it up. 30 mins at, for example, Hove Park would typically see you finishing ahead of 150 runners. C25K is a brilliant programme......

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Fabulous stuff........you’ll almost certainly find the 5k times will tumble down quite quickly at first if you keep it up. 30 mins at, for example, Hove Park would typically see you finishing ahead of 150 runners. C25K is a brilliant programme......

Thanks for the boost, I feel if I can start around 34-36 mins I should be able to chip away over the Winter and hit it big in the Spring!

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Out of interest, are you logging any distances or just marking time for now ? Would be interested to see how far 5/25/5 takes you.............

Question for [MENTION=1414]driddles[/MENTION] - I haven't looked into the C210k programme, but if you're already at 5k, wouldn't you need a step-up from 5k programme ? I understood the C210k programme was aimed at complete beginners and was another walk/run thing.

The Couch to 10K app I have starts off assuming you have completed the 5K program (need to check a box confirming you've already done the 5K). The first 10K workout is 53 minutes, but it goes back to the run/walk routine using 10 minute runs and 1 minute walks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Couch to 10K app I have starts off assuming you have completed the 5K program (need to check a box confirming you've already done the 5K). The first 10K workout is 53 minutes, but it goes back to the run/walk routine using 10 minute runs and 1 minute walks.

Not had a look at it, but sounds ideal......

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Oops, bit of swelling on the bad ankle from last Thursday's run. Next run was programmed for Sat, didn't happen. Run the 25 min Monday night no problem at all and all good this morning, so, I guess, justifies my laziness and resting! All back on track!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Oops, bit of swelling on the bad ankle from last Thursday's run. Next run was programmed for Sat, didn't happen. Run the 25 min Monday night no problem at all and all good this morning, so, I guess, justifies my laziness and resting! All back on track!

Very sensible. The big day beckons.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not looking forward to W5R3 tomorrow one little bit. You suddenly go from 2 x 8 minute runs with a 5 minute breather in the middle to a straight 20 minute run. Peanuts to the seasoned runner but a total mindf**k to the novice. As Kevin Keegan would say: 'Do I not like THAT!' :down:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Not looking forward to W5R3 tomorrow one little bit. You suddenly go from 2 x 8 minute runs with a 5 minute breather in the middle to a straight 20 minute run. Peanuts to the seasoned runner but a total mindf**k to the novice. As Kevin Keegan would say: 'Do I not like THAT!' :down:

My head found it concerning but my legs preferred not dropping back to walking and then striding out again. For me the continuous run seems to be better for my fat legs and the head is getting around it too! Good luck, as "Coach Laura" would say "You can do it"!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My head found it concerning but my legs preferred not dropping back to walking and then striding out again. For me the continuous run seems to be better for my fat legs and the head is getting around it too! Good luck, as "Coach Laura" would say "You can do it"!

I guess the theory behind W5R3 is that at some point, if you're serious about wanting to do a 5K, then you're going to have to ditch the big breather in the middle. Or repeat W5R2 until you feel able to do W5R3 without the breather. Interesting stuff.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I guess the theory behind W5R3 is that at some point, if you're serious about wanting to do a 5K, then you're going to have to ditch the big breather in the middle. Or repeat W5R2 until you feel able to do W5R3 without the breather. Interesting stuff.

Rather like approaching my recent minor injury set back, I just waited a couple of days. If you feel you need more of the early sessions just do it, you're still moving towards a 5k but without turning you off it altogether.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Kevin Keegan would LOVE IT! He'd absolutely LOVE IT!

It's all about the progression and getting out of your comfort zone.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
shove running ....no good for old bodies.....cross trainer ,treadmill , rowing machine , medium weights.

Exercise, whatever you do, do something

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
treadmill is sort of running though, isn't it?

yes but low impact ...i tend to go flat out walk for an hour , bonus of these machines is u can monitor your heart rate as well , running is to high impact for me , knees ankles and back all shot from various sports and leisures , i was a lazy twatt and did nothing after work for years , after recently getting in shape for surgery i have become a bit of a disciple and to be honest haven't fell as good since my 30's..........cut the alcohol right down too , i used to run from broadwater all the way down dominion road to brougham rd ....out to brooklands then back along the seafront to hene rd then back up to broadwater .....before the gps days so never worked out how far but i used to love it back then , 5 a.m in the summer great .......if i can get under 100 kgs i might give the running a go ......ive lost 9 kgs another 7 to go...!!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
yes but low impact ...i tend to go flat out walk for an hour , bonus of these machines is u can monitor your heart rate as well , running is to high impact for me , knees ankles and back all shot from various sports and leisures , i was a lazy twatt and did nothing after work for years , after recently getting in shape for surgery i have become a bit of a disciple and to be honest haven't fell as good since my 30's..........cut the alcohol right down too , i used to run from broadwater all the way down dominion road to brougham rd ....out to brooklands then back along the seafront to hene rd then back up to broadwater .....before the gps days so never worked out how far but i used to love it back then , 5 a.m in the summer great .......if i can get under 100 kgs i might give the running a go ......ive lost 9 kgs another 7 to go...!!

I've only lost 5 lbs in the seven weeks BUT it's slow change to lifestyle, cut out processed meat and veggie two days a week, cutting down on alcohol and yes, feeling great!

If, and it's a big if, I can keep this going through the Winter and hit the Spring a stone lighter I'll be a happy bunny!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here