Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'd add that in the warped sick mind of an Islamic Fundamentalist attacking a club that plays in the Premier League, openly supports LGBT and is considered as the home of gay pride, is owned by a Jew with very close Israeli links, and is sponsored by a large American corporation really is a very obvious target and maybe as supporters we should accept the clubs stance on this and perhaps only question why security isn't tougher?

And Orlando City, and many other US clubs I would imagine, have a clear bag policy at their stadiums.

https://www.orlandocitysc.com/stadium/clearbag

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
What protection is the Club going to provide for the stewards searching supporters? After all, a bomb may be detonated during the search. This is just as possible as a flask bomb being activated in the Stadium.

Search? At Tuesdays game, the Steward in my queue was feeling the weight of bags not going through them. He was clearly looking for cans of drink and nothing else.
When it was my turn he didn't go through my bag at all. He patted me down and didn't query the bottle in my left pocket or what I knew was my wallet in my right pocket.
They have clearly not been trained to search properly.
Because the queue in WSL was so long with so few women fans, a female Steward was lightly patting down male fans. If someone wanted to, they could get all sorts through the gate, banned list or not.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Wasn't this blindingly obvious from the start ? Club seems to be acting at the cautious end of the scale relative to other similar venues for now, but maybe they've had advice re a specific threat, are ahead of the game or whatever. I agree with [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] - it'll be airport-style security before too long, possibly - and very regrettably - following an incident at a PL football ground. PL football is a soft and high profile target. Anything the club are doing to prevent this is a sensible thing, particularly where there is only minor inconvenience to a relatively small number of people.

Yes it was, but many fans seem to be suffering from a mid 90s hangover in treating every decision made by the club with suspicion. And I agree with everything else you've written about the club doing as much as is reasonably practicable and within their powers - i.e. on entry to the stadium - to minimise the risk.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'd add that in the warped sick mind of an Islamic Fundamentalist attacking a club that plays in the Premier League, openly supports LGBT and is considered as the home of gay pride, is owned by a Jew with very close Israeli links, and is sponsored by a large American corporation really is a very obvious target and maybe as supporters we should accept the clubs stance on this and perhaps only question why security isn't tougher?

From a security point of view it is very lax and even with the ban any would be terrorist intent on getting a flask into the Amex wouldn’t really have too much trouble. The stewards do the lightest of touches and cursory peeking into bags and as other people have said kids are not searched. I guess clubs can only really do token gestures like this to make people feel safer when in reality the risk is not eliminated but the club is seen to be towing the line from those that dictate our daily lives.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So Barber or someone at the club have confirmed it’s a security issue have they ?

I can’t be arsed to read all this thread so can someone confirm this is what they have said for me please.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
“We are currently exploring how we may remove other single use plastics – beer cups and plastic bottles being the two most used items in the stadium – but current alternative options present a number of challenges due to the unique football stadium environment. We will keep fans updated.”

Twickenham charge a quid extra on your first pint. You can redeem your glass ( firm plastic - reusable) and get your quid back or not but the kids cotton on to those who can’t be arsed.

Sorted.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Who searches the people and kit bags bought in on the away team bus ? They all get free access as far as I can see. Anyone could have tampered with the team bags at the hotel.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Who searches the people and kit bags bought in on the away team bus ? They all get free access as far as I can see. Anyone could have tampered with the team bags at the hotel.

Who searches the away team bus? They park it next to the stadium with thousands walking past. Driver parks up, walks away etc. A device doesn't need to be taken inside the stadium to cause untold damage.

But lets feel safe. Flasks have gone, tops are off bottles, I have been patted down but there is a coach full of diesel about 20 feet from the stadium wall.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
What protection is the Club going to provide for the stewards searching supporters? After all, a bomb may be detonated during the search. This is just as possible as a flask bomb being activated in the Stadium.

Danger pay?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
What a roller coaster of an announcement that is... constantly teasing us with "at seat service"!

Rather than back down (and nobody thought he would anyway) he has come up with some absurd options of his own that will never work (bearing in mind the catering doesn’t work already).
He is trying, very trying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here