Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What sort of precedence would this set? If the government get away with this what will they use the royal prerogative powers for next?

Agree with this. This issue is moving away from the leave vs remain debate and I hope people realise that. The ability to keep government accountable is one of my reasons to vote against the EU, what's the point if we just hand more unfettered power to our own :shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Agree with this. This issue is moving away from the leave vs remain debate and I hope people realise that. The ability to keep government accountable is one of my reasons to vote against the EU, what's the point if we just hand more unfettered power to our own :shrug:

If it goes through parliament it will get passed, even if there are a few Tory rebels there are plenty in opposition that side with Brexit. Can't see what the issue is

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
No no, I am not having that, you let your argument down when you clutch at things without any real substance, there is nothing remotely unique today at this moment in time than say 3 months ago and nothing (yet) can you pin on Brexit, daily shifts in markets is not a accurate indicator.

I can think of many scenarios that you might argue what might happen upstream (then again they might not), but nothing has yet fed through from a sterling flash crash that could possibly adversly effect people that are on your ficticious breadline.
You appear to have just said ("nothing you can pin on Brexit") that the exceptional crash in the currency that started immediately after the referendum has nothing to do with the result. Can you just confirm that please?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Yep. I realise there's a very vocal element on here who will continue to try to convince everyone that all Leave voters were actually motivated by some weird notion of "sovereignty" and "taking back control" but it's just not true.

Everyone I know who voted leave did so because of immigration. Because they don't understand how immigration works or they are racist. Or both.

I'm not trying to tar everyone with the same brush. I get that Leave won because the campaign was so vague that lots of people voted for lots of obscure reasons.

I just haven't met any of them, and this is a FACT that lots of people seem to want to deny.

I've been trying to stay off these threads because an internet bully was nasty to me :lolol:,but I can't ignore stupidity.'Not trying to tar everyone with the same brush but they don't know about how immigration works or are racists' is the daftest statement I've heard since June!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You appear to have just said ("nothing you can pin on Brexit") that the exceptional crash in the currency that started immediately after the referendum has nothing to do with the result. Can you just confirm that please?

No I am saying Remainers have been waiting for a bomb, you think you have found it in the current sterling devaluation, we will need to see where this goes but for the vast majority of UK workers this is a side show and doesnt effect them.

Lets see how all currencies/markets perform in the coming weeks and then debate it further, you didnt get the market crash you were forecasting imminently after the referendum and I can hardly remember a single Remainer saying that sterling was going to be the main casualty through Brexit, you were too busy outlining armageddon.

Its pretty pointless blaming Brexit on this weeks turbulence if next month sterling has recovered to a reasonable level, a level that was seen favourably prior to the referendum in anycase, whats the point of looking back next month and saying it was Brexits fault for those five days in October, it soon becomes irrelevent

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

tosser.jpg

You,not me!:lol:

Last edited:

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
No no, I am not having that, you let your argument down when you clutch at things without any real substance, there is nothing remotely unique today at this moment in time than say 3 months ago and nothing (yet) can you pin on Brexit, daily shifts in markets is not a accurate indicator.

I can think of many scenarios that you might argue what might happen upstream (then again they might not), but nothing has yet fed through from a sterling flash crash that could possibly adversly effect people that are on your ficticious breadline.

What am I clutching at? I have said working class people who voted Brexit will (which implies in the future) have made a mistake, and I stand by that. If you live hand to mouth then it stands to reason you will be impacted by things like heating, fuel and food going up in price, this is inevitable because of uncertainty and is a direct result of Brexit.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I've been trying to stay off these threads because an internet bully was nasty to me :lolol:,but I can't ignore stupidity.'Not trying to tar everyone with the same brush but they don't know about how immigration works or are racists' is the daftest statement I've heard since June!

Where does [MENTION=14669]LlcoolJ[/MENTION] state:

"Not trying to tar everyone with the same brush but they don't know about how immigration works or are racists"

I can see where they state:

"Everyone I know who voted leave did so because of immigration. Because they don't understand how immigration works or they are racist. Or both."

and also where they state:

"I'm not trying to tar everyone with the same brush. I get that Leave won because the campaign was so vague that lots of people voted for lots of obscure reasons."

But I cant see anywhere where they state:

"Not trying to tar everyone with the same brush but they don't know about how immigration works or are racists"

You are making stuff up to suit your particular agenda, as seems common of Brexit folk,

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Where does [MENTION=14669]LlcoolJ[/MENTION] state:

I can see where they state:

"Everyone I know who voted leave did so because of immigration. Because they don't understand how immigration works or they are racist. Or both."

and also where they state:

"I'm not trying to tar everyone with the same brush. I get that Leave won because the campaign was so vague that lots of people voted for lots of obscure reasons."

But I cant see anywhere where they state:

You are making stuff up to suit your particular agenda, as seems common of Brexit folk,

I thought Trigg was supposed to be resident pedant-at least he has a sense of humour!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
No I am saying Remainers have been waiting for a bomb, you think you have found it in the current sterling devaluation, we will need to see where this goes but for the vast majority of UK workers this is a side show and doesnt effect them.

Lets see how all currencies/markets perform in the coming weeks and then debate it further, you didnt get the market crash you were forecasting imminently after the referendum and I can hardly remember a single Remainer saying that sterling was going to be the main casualty through Brexit, you were too busy outlining armageddon.

Its pretty pointless blaming Brexit on this weeks turbulence if next month sterling has recovered to a reasonable level, a level that was seen favourably prior to the referendum in anycase, whats the point of looking back next month and saying it was Brexits fault for those five days in October, it soon becomes irrelevent

Well actually you did say that there was nothing you could pin on Brexit but I understand your point here that if the indicators return to pre-referendum levels in the next month then we can rest easy in our beds. I'd be inclined (and so would many Brexiteers it seems) to think they might not but let's have the conversation again mid-November. Meanwhile though I am not sure why you think that for the vast majority of British workers the current sterling devaluation is a 'slide show that doesn't effect them". How does that work? It will certainly effect them if they buy things.

And I was forecasting a market crash? When was that then? I am not clever enough to do that. The only forecast I made before the referendum was that I thought you'd win it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What am I clutching at? I have said working class people who voted Brexit will (which implies in the future) have made a mistake, and I stand by that. If you live hand to mouth then it stands to reason you will be impacted by things like heating, fuel and food going up in price, this is inevitable because of uncertainty and is a direct result of Brexit.

Quite.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I thought Trigg was supposed to be resident pedant-at least he has a sense of humour!

It’s not pedantry to highlight that fact that you have called someone “stupid and daft” on the basis of something they haven’t said, that you have made up and attributed to them.

Ironically it’s you who looks stupid and daft (on top of most of your Brexit drivelling).

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Cheif exec of Next and prominent leave campaigned has said

"I think the hard, soft Brexit language is unhelpful, and what we should be talking about is whether we have an ‘open’ or ‘closed’ Brexit.

Britain voted for independence, it didn’t vote for isolation and so we have a choice: are we going to choose to build an open, global-facing economy, or one that’s closed and isolated?

If we choose the latter, then our economy is finished. If we choose the former, we stand a chance of flourishing greatly."

Jesus he might be the first sensible Brexiteer.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast

Attachments

• Picture1 smaller.jpg
    Picture1 smaller.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 139

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It’s not pedantry to highlight that fact that you have called someone “stupid and daft” on the basis of something they haven’t said, that you have made up and attributed to them.

Ironically it’s you who looks stupid and daft (on top of most of your Brexit drivelling).

You're right but in fairness I don't think he means to do it.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Well actually you did say that there was nothing you could pin on Brexit but I understand your point here that if the indicators return to pre-referendum levels in the next month then we can rest easy in our beds. I'd be inclined (and so would many Brexiteers it seems) to think they might not but let's have the conversation again mid-November. Meanwhile though I am not sure why you think that for the vast majority of British workers the current sterling devaluation is a 'slide show that doesn't effect them". How does that work? It will certainly effect them if they buy things.

And I was forecasting a market crash? When was that then? I am not clever enough to do that. The only forecast I made before the referendum was that I thought you'd win it.

Well it wont effect them if, as I suspect there isnt a sustained run on our currency exclusively due to Brexit, but it seems premature to look for proof of impending doom on daily market shifts.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Cheif exec of Next and prominent leave campaigned has said

"I think the hard, soft Brexit language is unhelpful, and what we should be talking about is whether we have an ‘open’ or ‘closed’ Brexit.

Britain voted for independence, it didn’t vote for isolation and so we have a choice: are we going to choose to build an open, global-facing economy, or one that’s closed and isolated?

If we choose the latter, then our economy is finished. If we choose the former, we stand a chance of flourishing greatly."

Jesus he might be the first sensible Brexiteer.

Well if he supports continued membership of the single market and associated freedom of movement then he is probably in a majority - everyone who voted Remain backed that and if getting on for 10 per cent of those who voted Leave thought the same then Bingo! - we have a consensus. A majority in our sovereign parliament will surely favour this too so problem largely over. Oh, hold on. I forgot the King Liam and the Headbangers. They're our rulers now. Go away Next. The game's up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here