Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sadly, I don't care any more.......

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I chuckled at the Icelandic equaliser, I laughed out loud and clapped as they took the lead, in the full expectation that England, my England, would beat the pesky Viking types as the game went on.

I have watched England both home and away, not as much as many but more than most. I have rejoiced at our occasional victory snatched from the jaws etc, more often I have despaired at our inability to perform on the big stage. Sometimes I have cried, other times I have not behaved as well as I should have done, sorry.

Tonight? I am shocked, shocked that I could not really care. My love for this country, and particularly our football team, is gone. We really do have a culture of self gratification, of 'I am worth it', and much of it stems from our obsession with football, especially the Premier League. Money, celebrity, fame, beauty, and further down the line a flash motor, the biggest TV possible, and that oh so necessary designer clobber.

But to be more accurate, it is not about football, it is about our culture. The one where we as a country believe that we are better than the rest, better than Europe, that we can take on the world and win. As a nation we have voted for Brexit, cos we know best. Fxxk the French/Germans and the refugees, fxxk the fact that every economic expert said don't do it, fxxk everyone that dares not to have the Bulldog Bobby attitude.

Yeah, I am still whinging about the referendum, but I accept the decision. I am just gutted that my opinion of everything England is now so jaundiced. There really is no reason for pride in our country anymore.

I agree with almost every word of this, and sad too is the fact that the referendum threads on this board have touched my affection for the Albion. A big part of following this club for me has been the sense of community, so strong during the years of trouble, strong too when we arrived at Falmer as... happy fans, without a care...

We were all different people with different outlooks and different background but that was part of the joy. The pair of us have met so many friends through the Albion that we wouldn't have met otherwise. The sneering condescension and shouty name-calling from Brexiters on the threads showed me that there are different people out there and I don't think I would like many of them very much.

Every morning I look at the tabloid front pages. The bile, the nastiness and so often the distortion just takes my breath away. (The Express, apparently, included migrant references in 35 of its front page headlines during the campaign). I listen to my gentle sister talking about conversations in 70 per cent Brexit north Lincolnshire, and the reasons, nasty, distorted, plain wrong reasons, people give her for doing what they did.

I'm an original silly-old-fool patriot in so many ways. Show me a droning Lancaster and I'll show you my tears. But England seems a different place now. Maybe it will be different when we are smaller and poorer and Scotland has gone. But I doubt it. There will still be people on here shouting their songs of superiority. As the Paris paper Liberation had it over the weekend - The English are just so arrogant. I'm afraid that, a lot of the time, they're right. The light has gone.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Completely agree. Was really into supporting England at the start of the Euros but after brexit, all passion has gone. Find it very hard to support a nation of which I despise over 50% of the population. I found the game very funny actually.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I agree with almost every word of this, and sad too is the fact that the referendum threads on this board have touched my affection for the Albion. A big part of following this club for me has been the sense of community, so strong during the years of trouble, strong too when we arrived at Falmer as... happy fans, without a care...

We were all different people with different outlooks and different background but that was part of the joy. The pair of us have met so many friends through the Albion that we wouldn't have met otherwise. The sneering condescension and shouty name-calling from Brexiters on the threads showed me that there are different people out there and I don't think I would like many of them very much.

Every morning I look at the tabloid front pages. The bile, the nastiness and so often the distortion just takes my breath away. (The Express, apparently, included migrant references in 35 of its front page headlines during the campaign). I listen to my gentle sister talking about conversations in 70 per cent Brexit north Lincolnshire, and the reasons, nasty, distorted, plain wrong reasons, people give her for doing what they did.

I'm an original silly-old-fool patriot in so many ways. Show me a droning Lancaster and I'll show you my tears. But England seems a different place now. Maybe it will be different when we are smaller and poorer and Scotland has gone. But I doubt it. There will still be people on here shouting their songs of superiority. As the Paris paper Liberation had it over the weekend - The English are just so arrogant. I'm afraid that, a lot of the time, they're right. The light has gone.

I agree with this, and with [MENTION=7631]wellquickwoody[/MENTION]

I'm in Brussels today and the sense of bewilderment and sadness is palpable. We have been stupid in our decision. The UK is no different to any part of the world. Everyone struggles. There is lots of injustice. But, there's also lots to be hopeful about. There's lots to work together on. There's lots where we can collaborate. Sadly, too many people in England and Wales seem to want to cut themselves off and go it alone. I wanted to build a country that could be a major contributor to Europe. A country that would be respected for the role it plays. Instead, we've made ourselves look like idiots, and our football team provided the cherry on the EU referendum iced cake last night, by not showing up against Iceland. Perhaps the players were all affected by the EU fall out. Perhaps they watched the voters of Clacton on sea and thought, f**k it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Was really into supporting England at the start of the Euros but after brexit, all passion has gone. Find it very hard to support a nation of which I despise over 50% of the population. I found the game very funny actually.

I felt the same. Ordinarily I would be fuming over last nights game, but it just sums this country up perfectly.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Obviously there has always been racism but a sharp increase since the referendum. These incidents were also linked to Brexit because they were cited in the attacks. 'GO HOME WE VOTED YOU TO LEAVE', 'BREXIT' type shit. I have read more than just a handful of examples. Even people borm here who have not even come from the EU are being abused. I work with a couple of Polish people they have received abuse.

Why the knee jerk defence. Why can it not be admitted that this referendum has increased this behavior. it won't reflect on you

Anyway this is a football thread and ive disrupted it a bit

The caretaker at my wife's school went into the classroom of the French teacher the day after the referendum and casually asked her "Are you still here?"

It was meant in jest, but there is nothing funny. Yes she is still here. Just as she has been here for 17 years. If that is happening on a casual basis, you can guess what is happening elsewhere.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I agree with this, and with [MENTION=7631]wellquickwoody[/MENTION]

I'm in Brussels today and the sense of bewilderment and sadness is palpable. We have been stupid in our decision. The UK is no different to any part of the world. Everyone struggles. There is lots of injustice. But, there's also lots to be hopeful about. There's lots to work together on. There's lots where we can collaborate. Sadly, too many people in England and Wales seem to want to cut themselves off and go it alone. I wanted to build a country that could be a major contributor to Europe. A country that would be respected for the role it plays. Instead, we've made ourselves look like idiots, and our football team provided the cherry on the EU referendum iced cake last night, by not showing up against Iceland. Perhaps the players were all affected by the EU fall out. Perhaps they watched the voters of Clacton on sea and thought, f**k it.

You do wonder if it has had an effect on the players, they are used to being surrounded by foreign players from all over in the PL and many of our players have ethnic roots. A brexit is hardly going to give them a boost of nationalism

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Completely agree. Was really into supporting England at the start of the Euros but after brexit, all passion has gone. Find it very hard to support a nation of which I despise over 50% of the population. I found the game very funny actually.

Absolutely breathtaking arrogance , I've lots of mates who voted remain , I can understand why some of them did , I can understand why lots of people did , I was wavering myself , yet you, from your comfy corner of sussex , choose instead to ignore the legitimate concerns and complaints of a sizeable number of people who's lives have been negatively impacted by the EU , and decide that you 'despise' them , tosspots like you and your superior attitude are the REASON a lot of people voted leave.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You do wonder if it has had an effect on the players, they are used to being surrounded by foreign players from all over in the PL and many of our players have ethnic roots. A brexit is hardly going to give them a boost of nationalism
you are f**king deluded :lolol:

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Absolutely breathtaking arrogance , I've lots of mates who voted remain , I can understand why some of them did , I can understand why lots of people did , I was wavering myself , yet you, from your comfy corner of sussex , choose instead to ignore the legitimate concerns and complaints of a sizeable number of people who's lives have been negatively impacted by the EU , and decide that you 'despise' them , tosspots like you and your superior attitude are the REASON a lot of people voted leave.

Ignorance is a reason a lot of people voted to leave.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I hope you take this in the spirit it is intended (which is constructive and friendly) but isn't this just ratcheting things up even more. It seems every day the reaction to the vote gets even bigger. To make it affect your feelings for the Albion seem daft to me ( I don't mean you are daft, just the sentiment). There will almost certainly be another referendum which you have a very good chance of winning if this time the younger voters appear at the polling station. Once the political parties sort themselves out a pro EU consensus will likely emerge which you can get behind.In the meantime there will be a lot of national debate over how we find a way to reconcile the wishes of those who dislike and those who like the EU. No point in wallowing in negativity. There will be a positive way forward and whatever the outcome the England football team will be crap and the Albion will be glorious ! Chin up

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Arrogance is behind the assumption that ignorance was the reason for a leave vote.

Ignorance yes, but selfishness too, esp in the old - we're debt free, have the triple pension lock, lets be brave, just do it. If it all goes wrong someone else will sort it

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The media are making a mountain out of a molehill, I've seen one headline ''BBC reporter becomes victim of BREXIT racists'' , what heinous crime was visited on her i wondered, was she badly attacked and hurt ? no it seems that sima kotecha was called a ''paki'' by somebody in the street and she was shocked , now IF this happened , and i'd say its a big IF as there are a lot of vested interests amongst certain groups and people in being the victims race hate crimes , then it was an unsavoury incident , but hardly worthy of a news story in the national media , and why on earth it was connected to BREXIT i dont know , but thats the media for you, a lot of left leaning people didnt get their way in the referendum and they are DESPERATE to portray the vote and anyone who doesnt 100% agree with them as racists.

One of my friends, a Dutch guy who lectures at the Uni down here in Cornwall, was on a train from Birmingham to Manchester a couple of days ago. The guy with the drinks trolley going down the aisles was eastern European. Someone was buying a coffee when he suddenly hurled his coins at the ground, shouted at him to "pick it up and get out of the country, we had a vote, we're all British now". Other people around him stood up and joined in the abuse. My friend and his family switched carriages, who wants to get involved with that. These are not good times.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
But to be more accurate, it is not about football, it is about our culture. The one where we as a country believe that we are better than the rest, better than Europe, that we can take on the world and win. As a nation we have voted for Brexit, cos we know best. Fxxk the French/Germans and the refugees, fxxk the fact that every economic expert said don't do it, fxxk everyone that dares not to have the Bulldog Bobby attitude.

We seem to lurch from fxxk-you arrogance to victimhood and back without ever passing through a mature adult stage

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Arrogance is behind the assumption that ignorance was the reason for a leave vote.

I don't want to make you cross but I do think that ignorance was a big factor in many cases (the previous poster did not say all cases, which you implied). My three closest friends who voted Leave are intelligent people but two of them - the Mail readers as it happened - were astonishingly ignorant of the facts. One didn't realise that British people can work anywhere in Europe and had never heard of Schengen. The other, eating cake in my garden last night, said that what we should have is a way or importing and exporting without tariffs. He was astonished to learn that that is what we are just putting in the bin.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here