Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iñigo Calderón Appreciation Evening

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just to say, the darts is a modus event - they've used the Albions name and venue but it's not an event by the club - so anyone expecting any Albion players to be there on 'official' duty will be disappointed I'd guess.

Ps - no need to turn this thread into an 'anti-darts' one. As for the Calde thing - great idea and he fully deserves it as his work in the community is truely inspirational m. BG, [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] has bailed your post in one sentence, so stop looking to cause a binfest :thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Those that wish to go do so and I hope you all have a good evening but it is not for me.

Which is really all that needed to be said.

You seem to be treating this as some sort of testimonal dinner, which clearly it isn't.

It's just a fun evening, organised by individuals, who don't have to justify their choice of player to anyone, nor commit to further organising of future events for other players.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Which is really all that needed to be said.

You seem to be treating this as some sort of testimonal dinner, which clearly it isn't.

It's just a fun evening, organised by individuals, who don't have to justify their choice of player to anyone, nor commit to further organising of future events for other players.

There's no player who deserves this more in our squad. Possibly Bobby on the playing side but Calde overall..?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Hopefully for the Ginger Pig ! Perhaps if there was a charity donation included in the price I may have a different view.
Do you KNOW that there isn't?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Is this going to happen for every player who comes to the end of his career with us. Did it happen for Peter O Sullivan who gave longer service? Ok for those that like to be in the forefront of this kind of adulation but count me out.

Jeez, just shown yourself to be a first class arse there BG! There ain't many players who have done as much charity work around Sussex as Inigo, or worn the stripes with as much pride, or been such a good ambassador as he has, but you choose to have a pop? Got to be honest, glad you ain't gonna be there cos you would just spoil it for others. :tosser:

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
I just think it sets a precedent and becomes expected. I appreciate what he has done for us in the past 5 years being very well paid in the process, but see no reason to hold such an event. My attitude may change if he had been with us for his entire career but like all footballers he has no great allegience to us and is just following the £ as shown by his talking with Southampton who presumably didnt offer as much as us. This is not a knock or slight on Calderon but is relevant to all footballers. They have a very well paid job.

You are a grade A ****. Do you think before you post?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That is a little uncalled for surely. It is a free forum and everyone is entitled to their views, whether you agree with it or not.

Such are the benefits of the swear filter, that we can just read that as 'grade A bore', which doesn't seem too unfair.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
That is a little uncalled for surely. It is a free forum and everyone is entitled to their views, whether you agree with it or not.

I dont think so, people have taken there time to organise something for the benefit of others to enjoy and BensGrandad has to come in start making ridiculous comments and detract from the hard work people are putting into something.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Nice idea. Hope it's a huge success.

Ignore those who will have a pop whatever you do, and whenever you do it.

Unnecessary, but there you go.

For the record, I think fair play to those organising the event. He is a player that has off the pitch gone above and beyond.

However I do think it is ridiculous that it is on at the same time as the darts (which is Albion branded and has been marketed by the Albion and was announced a while back).

Some people who want to go to the Calderon event will have bought darts tickets. Now, whilst there is no guarantee that after May, Calderon will be an Albion employee, surely this dinner could have been organised for another date not to clash with the darts, so that those that want to do both could.

Unfortunately, as ever, there seems to be a reluctance to compromise, which is a bit off, really.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Unnecessary, but there you go.

For the record, I think fair play to those organising the event. He is a player that has off the pitch gone above and beyond.

However I do think it is ridiculous that it is on at the same time as the darts (which is Albion branded and has been marketed by the Albion and was announced a while back).

Some people who want to go to the Calderon event will have bought darts tickets. Now, whilst there is no guarantee that after May, Calderon will be an Albion employee, surely this dinner could have been organised for another date not to clash with the darts, so that those that want to do both could.

Unfortunately, as ever, there seems to be a reluctance to compromise, which is a bit off, really.

The clash of dates does indeed seem a shame. However, they have explained that this is the date the Albion offered them and Calderon himself agreed to - they were hardly in a position to dictate to the player when they expected him to attend.

You chose to barrel in and 'blame' the organisers, for an 'arrogant' decision. That seemed unnecessary - but there you go.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The clash of dates does indeed seem a shame. However, they have explained that this is the date the Albion offered them and Calderon himself agreed to - they were hardly in a position to dictate to the player when they expected him to attend.

You chose to barrel in and 'blame' the organisers, for an 'arrogant' decision. That seemed unnecessary - but there you go.

I said the decision seems one of silly / arrogant, but plainly arrogant.

It is unfortunate and I suspect the clash will impact on the Calderon event, as people who want to do both, will have already bought darts tickets.

I am amazed that with all the spare weekends we seem to now have, there was not another date it could be moved to.

If Reading make it to the 6th round of the cup, can the Calderon event not go on to that weekend, as it will be totally free.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Ginger Pig can't be much more than 15 minutes from Brighton station in a taxi.

The darts finishes 'early evening'. It must be logistically possible to do both events given the will to do so, without missing too much of either.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If Reading make it to the 6th round of the cup, can the Calderon event not go on to that weekend, as it will be totally free.

Not forgetting that the venue, or the organisers or even CALDE himself may not be available other times, due to other commitments.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Is there a random draw to determine who gets to sit on Calderon's table? .

Yes. Yes there is. Numbers will be strictly limited to 13 and they'll all have to sit on the same side of the table.

lastsupp.jpg

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes. Yes there is. Numbers will be strictly limited to 13 and they'll all have to sit on the same side of the table.

lastsupp.jpg

Still, at least [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] gets to sit on Calde's immediate right...

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Not forgetting that the venue, or the organisers or even CALDE himself may not be available other times, due to other commitments.
... is the guiding issue here.

17 April was our second choice. When we contacted the club as a courtesy, they said Calde was unavailable on the original date we'd suggested.

We wanted to do a Sunday, as all the restaurants we contacted said that would be the best day of the week, and while 17th may be a pain to some people, it was the best one given the circumstances of availability of all participating parties - most importantly, Calde.

The nature of this city will always mean it clashes with something.

GDC

In A Checked Shirt
Nov 7, 2006
On A Train

lastsupp.jpg

Thanks for clarifying.

It seems fairer than, for example, the organisers getting to sit on Calderon's table.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Not entirely sure it's not rigged tho. @Lord Bracknell appeared to have already bagged the spot second from right ???

You make an important point. There are others that have sneaked in too. I can for example now confirm that Glenn Murray is coming back to play for us. Look, he's there, fourth from left, the only one with his elbow on the table - and what's in that little bag he's holding?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here