Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

See you all in the Championship then

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Yes they are, remember we're not talking about competing against the top end. They'll bag a few against dross like Palace. And we'll score more from midfield with rampaging inside forwards like Knockaert and Izquierdo in the 4-5-1/4-3-3 system Hughton seems to be playing.

I sincerly hope your right. But from what I have seen so far home and away we are in dire straits.................:down:

SeagullSam

Feb 12, 2009
Bromley
Yes I'm annoyed.... very annoyed, but the response on here has been ridiculous. We sound like Arsenal - whinging and whinging when we don't know how lucky we've got it. Other clubs would give their right arm to be in our position.

This strike force got us here so let's hope they can keep us here. Now that we've failed in the transfer window we need to focus a lot of energy on keeping Baldock fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yes I'm annoyed.... very annoyed, but the response on here has been ridiculous. We sound like Arsenal - whinging and whinging when we don't know how lucky we've got it. Other clubs would give their right arm to be in our position.

This strike force got us here so let's hope they can keep us here. Now that we've failed in the transfer window we need to focus a lot of energy on keeping Baldock fit.

It's got nothing to do with some fans sounding like Arsenal. It's people like you who really don't understand it all. It took something like 5 years of heavy loses in the Championship to finally get here and that's against heavily backed clubs with parachute money.

Hemed,Murray, Baldock.

If you really can't see the problem now you never will Samuel.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I sincerly hope your right. But from what I have seen so far home and away we are in dire straits.................:down:

We're in dire straights because we have no back up for Hemed. Even Tilley isn't really a striker he's more of an attacking midfielder. We literally have ONE fit striker right now. That for me is the main issue. If Hemed gets injured we have NOBODY.

It might be worth signing Diabate just so we're not in the situation where we've got a cardboard cut out of Ronaldo up front and hoping the opposition won't notice.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
It's got nothing to do with some fans sounding like Arsenal. It's people like you who really don't understand it all. It took something like 5 years of heavy loses in the Championship to finally get here and that's against heavily backed clubs with parachute money.

Hemed,Murray, Baldock.

Either one of those three as a lone striker would be good enough to keep us in it until the next window. We'll also get goals from the likes of Knockaert/March/Izquierdo. There's no law that says only strikers are allowed to score goals. As I said earlier the problem is we have no back up for our only fit striker.

Stop slagging off the players we DO have because they're gonna need our support more than ever now.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
We're in dire straights because we have no back up for Hemed. Even Tilley isn't really a striker he's more of an attacking midfielder. We literally have ONE fit striker right now. That for me is the main issue. If Hemed gets injured we have NOBODY.

It might be worth signing Diabate just so we're not in the situation where we've got a cardboard cut out of Ronaldo up front and hoping the opposition won't notice.

I am loathed to say it but we may have to resort to the youngsters, desperate times and all that, still we may unearth a star. #rashford

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
If we're not bottom of the league when the window opens in Jan it will be a miracle. Add £5-10m to the value of any player we were trying to sign this summer, also.

What a waste of time this has all been, to not strengthen in what is realy the only place that matters isn't naive, it's stupid.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
It's not just down to quality. We have PL squad players in that position it's just the fact that we have 1 fit striker and it's been the obvious position of need for months (or years suggesting we must have a lot of info collected).

We only needed one not more (unless Hemed was sold) but I'm flabagasted that we weren't able to find one we liked and make a sensible bid. Quite apart from the failed medical there were loads of other things that could go wrong with a deal and we'll have definitely had our fingers in 10+ pies. Shirley!

We now have I suppose Murphy 'pushing' Hemed for a spot but they are totally different and would require different systems and training time. Not exactly an "ideal world" as quoted yesterday.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
I must admit that I'm quite shocked and surprised that we haven't been able to bring in a striker, seeing that it appeared to be such a priority. I suspect that the difficulty was agreeing personal terms that didn't destroy a harmonious dressing room balance - something the club are determined to maintain, especially after our senior players have just signed new long term contracts.

But we are where we are and now we must see if it is possible to come up with a plan B? Perhaps we can find some hidden gem from within the existing squad? Perhaps we can successfully spread any goals around by maximising the potential of playing quick skilful midfielders and wide men breaking in numbers especially on the counter attack?

Just forget those first two tough games - they came before we were really ready to give it a go. But we did give it a go against Watford and I was really surprised how favourable was the performance and the statistics even against 10 men. We'll play far worse this season and fluke 2 goals or something - we all know that is how football works.

We haven't seen much at all yet from the players we have signed - lets just hope that now this stupid, distracting "window" thing has closed - we can focus on getting our players fit and in form and confident and happy and harmonious and see if we can't just become surprisingly competitive. Everyone of us has realistic expectations of this season and all we ask is for a chance of salvation and a few moments of unforgettable bliss.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Woke up a bit disappointed that we did not get a striker in and think maybe it was a mixture of bad luck, not offering enough wages, bad timing etc, don't think we will ever know the exact truth, but reading some of the crap from our fans on here is unbelievable. We're doomed etc, well I agree with needed a striker, but after 3 games can we really tell that what we have is not good enough? I nearly lost a close family member this week and know that she only has a limited amount of time left and this brings this into perspective. We will be ok and still have a team to support, maybe struggle, but we will scream and shout for the team and support them
Through and through, well
Bloody well hope we will
And the moaners? Well think they have a lot of spare seats at Sellhurst.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
It's not as if no effort went into the recruitment of a striker. Various events conspired against us, either being gazumped, failed medicals, players we were pursuing either not wishing to join us, or changing their minds at the last minute or clubs not letting those players who wished to join us leave.

Another problem was caused by setting our standards at a level which most of us expected we should aim at. This brings with it the problems of not meeting club valuations, not meeting player wage demands or not being considered worthy enough of a team to play for by certain players of a particular level.

The understandable complaint on here is that we signed no one. If we had set our sights lower some of the aforementioned obstacles would have been avoided and might have resulted in us signing someone. But imagine the cries of derision there would have been had we landed one of those lesser targets. We would have been accused of not showing enough ambition. Those same cries of derision would probably be coming from the same people now criticising us for not signing anyone.

Remember all the objections voiced to the potential signing of Niasse and the relief when they thought Palace had beaten us to his signature. How many of those strikers we were linked with which you were quick to reject would you now be happy to see posing for the shirt bearing photograph?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Hemed,Murray, Baldock.

And going ON AND ON AND ON AND ON about it in every thread you can find is just whinging. No one is suggesting we succeeded in our striker transfer policy but elsewhere on the pitch I think our business has been good (that's your cue to mention Ryan and his height again). We didn't get a striker and that's that - disappointed of course but revelling in it does no one any favours. I'm backing our strikers to prove us wrong and if they don't I'm just going to enjoy this season.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I guess September will be a very good indicator of how the season may pan out. West Brom, Bournemouth and Newcastle are exactly the kind of games where we need to be able to compete, pick up points and maybe even put the ball in the back of the net. With Knocky and Izquierdo hopefully getting a decent run of games now, all is far from lost. Both look highly capable of weighing in with goals at this level, even if our striker(s) don't.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
And going ON AND ON AND ON AND ON about it in every thread you can find is just whinging. No one is suggesting we succeeded in our striker transfer policy but elsewhere on the pitch I think our business has been good (that's your cue to mention Ryan and his height again). We didn't get a striker and that's that - disappointed of course but revelling in it does no one any favours. I'm backing our strikers to prove us wrong and if they don't I'm just going to enjoy this season.

Exactly. Now is especially NOT the time to start slagging Hemed off. He's our only hope now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The club had/has the great chance of establishing itself as PL, in the same way that mid size clubs such as Bournemouth, CP, Watford, Swansea and Stains have.

That would give the club annual turnover of £130m instead of £25m, making it a viable business. TB over time would have been able to get his loan back over time.

Instead highly likely the opposite. TB and Perry did their bit. The recruitment dept failed in the key area.

This summer they were arrogant NSC posts laughing variously at 'relegation certs' Hudd, Watford, Swansea, Palace, Stoke. Posts from fans of the PL newcomer's who couldn't even sign a top flight quality striker. Who's laughing now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here