Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Friday debate - Would you give up your UK passport?

Could you give up your U.K. passport?

• Yes - I don’t mind giving up my U.K. passport

Votes: 55 47.4%
  • No - Rule Brittania etc etc.

Votes: 61 52.6%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In the Brexit thread there’s been discussion of obtaining other nation’s passports. In some situations this will mean giving up your U.K. passport. Would you do this? Could you do this? Have you done this?

Poll to follow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And we’re off :lolol:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Sorry to wreck the premise of the question straight out of the gate but the UK allows dual citizenship. As such, you can take on any other nationality you like, there will still be no need to give up your British passport.

Best of both worlds.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I was happy to have a European passport when they came in. Am not particularly attached to the idea of a blue passport and everything it represents. If I had been living and working abroad for years, like someone we know who is now retired in Milan having worked there for 30 years plus, I would go for the citizenship of that country, probably, even if it involved renouncing a British passport.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry to wreck the premise of the question straight out of the gate but the UK allows dual citizenship. As such, you can take on any other nationality you like, there will still be no need to give up your British passport.

Best of both worlds.

But I believe there some countries, like Japan, which do not allow dual citizenship? So you will have to give up your U.K. passport to get a Japanese one?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The wife American and Daughter born here have dual nationality, and every time I go over to the States I get interrogated on the assumption that I am over to get a green card. At the moment we have no intention of moving and living in America. Having said that the world is changing at a fast pace and who knows what the future holds in terms of security for the family. If when the daughter grows up and makes her own way in life or wishes to move to America, I am sure the wife would want to follow and I would have no hesitation giving up citizenship if that is what is required.

I know where I was born, my identity and history, I do not need a piece of paper to tell me any of that. I will always be a Southern Asia, Anglo-Saxon, Norman, Viking, Celtic, Germanic, Mongrel...

Rule Britannia the true mongrel race that turned a third of world pink.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Best of both worlds.

Indeed. I cannot vote on this poll as neither reflects my position. I very certainly won't be giving up my passport but not because of anything to do with ruling the waves etc. If I had a basis for enlarging my options I would, but I don't. My son has joint citizenship (Canadian), which enlarges his options in theory, but not really in practice as has no plans to relocate.

Anyway, you know perfectly well how the vote will go: 'Brexmaniacs' one way, 'remoaners' the other way, everyone else... m'eh....:lolol:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Although I wouldn't give up my UK passport, I will be applying for a European one. I haven't needed to until now. Even when I went to live and work in my Dad's home country I didn't have to, being a member of the EU made it a breeze. I am really saddened that my son won't have the same rights that I have had so I'll be going dual national.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The wife American and Daughter born here have dual nationality, and every time I go over to the States I get interrogated on the assumption that I am over to get a green card. At the moment we have no intention of moving and living in America. Having said that the world is changing at a fast pace and who knows what the future holds in terms of security for the family. If when the daughter grows up and makes her own way in life or wishes to move to America, I am sure the wife would want to follow and I would have no hesitation giving up citizenship if that is what is required.

I know where I was born, my identity and history, I do not need a piece of paper to tell me any of that. I will always be a Southern Asia, Anglo-Saxon, Norman, Viking, Celtic, Germanic, Mongrel...

Rule Britannia the true mongrel race that turned a third of world pink.

America is the only country I have visited where I was truly interrogated at immigration. It was almost funny in a 'am I in a comedy sketch here' kind of way.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
America is the only country I have visited where I was truly interrogated at immigration. It was almost funny in a 'am I in a comedy sketch here' kind of way.

Yep same for me every bloody time, the last time at the Canadian border into America (it was cheaper to fly to Windsor Canada than Detroit and only a 30 min drive to family home over the river)
They came up to the car, checked the wifes passport, daughters, Father in laws, and then mine - "Get out the car NOW" - guns pointed, snatch the keys from the car - put the bonnet up - frog march me to a centre, gave me a ticket and boom waiting in lock down room for an hour, video camera in the toilet with armed guard outside. Then half an hour interrogation as why I married an American and why we would want to live in England and am I really over for a four week holiday in Detroit (I can see their point) or here to get a green card. I guess Michigan and Detroit is not really used to many people stopping just passing through.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'd much rather keep my British Passport, but I might have to accept the inevitable and have a Russian one when they come knocking.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep same for me every bloody time, the last time at the Canadian border into America (it was cheaper to fly to Windsor Canada than Detroit and only a 30 min drive to family home over the river)
They came up to the car, checked the wifes passport, daughters, Father in laws, and then mine - "Get out the car NOW" - guns pointed, snatch the keys from the car - put the bonnet up - frog march me to a centre, gave me a ticket and boom waiting in lock down room for an hour, video camera in the toilet with armed guard outside. Then half an hour interrogation as why I married an American and why we would want to live in England and am I really over for a four week holiday in Detroit (I can see their point) or here to get a green card. I guess Michigan and Detroit is not really used to many people stopping just passing through.

Ah yes, Detroit immigration. We’ve discussed this before. Truly lovely city but amusing/frustrating* immigration.

Immigration “Why you here buddy?”
HT “Vacation”
Immigration: “No one comes here on vacation, why you here buddy?”
HT “No really, I am”
Immigration “What’s there to see buddy?”

* depending on my mood.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Any more than a handful of votes to give up shows how much damage Brexit is doing to our nation

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Best of both worlds.

Once we cut ourselves off from the rest of Europe I'll be getting Irish passports for me and my family.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ah yes, Detroit immigration. We’ve discussed this before. Truly lovely city but amusing/frustrating* immigration.

Immigration “Why you here buddy?”
HT “Vacation”
Immigration: “No one comes here on vacation, why you here buddy?”
HT “No really, I am”
Immigration “What’s there to see buddy?”

* depending on my mood.

Remember having a stamp from an African country stamped in my passport, was interrogated by US immigration why anyone would visit the continent for a holiday? Its a strange country and equally fascinating

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'd take whatever passport I felt would benefit me for travel or economic possibilities (unlike Brexit...).

Yes, so would I.

It's frustrating that I appear to be completely English - if I had ancestors from any European country that would permit me to apply for a passport there, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Remember having a stamp from an African country stamped in my passport, was interrogated by US immigration why anyone would visit the continent for a holiday? Its a strange country and equally fascinating

Entering Japan was quite amusing. I got rather drunk with a band which was on my flight. I walked up to the desk and conducted all the interview wearing shades and smelling of booze. At one point I was politely asked to lift my glasses for the photo, I duly lifted them an inch or two, lowered them again and was let in.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
With respect, not the best-worded of poll questions.

I would 'mind' giving up my British passport. Like most supporters of a (historically) lower level football team I have a strong sense of place. I'm pleased I was born in Brighton and I have great affection for the land of my fathers. I am pleased to have a British passport. But I am deeply unhappy about the way the country it represents is going and so would on balance be prepared to exchange it for a European one. I would be even happier if my children, the future, could do the same.

But I am furious that the situation has arisen.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here