Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looks like it is only an outside chance this marathon. Future looks bright for a break through. The current bunch plus yourself, [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION].

Which of you has the NSC fastest marathon time? I believe it's around 3:05:00 by the German? This could be under threat.

My PB is 3:05:36 which I got in my last 26.2 in October 2016

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it will be very difficult to speed up from 21 miles to the end. In my own personal experience your body will be creaking and everything tightening, so it's a case of just hanging on and ensuring your average pace doesn't drop off too much.

I'd rather get the quick miles in early, whilst fresh and it feels relatively easy then grind it out in the last 10k.

Either way you're on for a really good time and looking at recent runs I can see you running at 7 minute mile pace as an average which will be about 3:04 or just under which will get you a superb time.

Agree with this.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The wind is now entirely from the south from 10am, all threat of a south-easterly seems to have disappeared which is going to help those long seafront stretches. It's weighing in at 10mph. The temperature looks to be a consistent 10 degrees throughout, it will be overcast and there is very little chance of rain.

So the weather is now one excuse none of us can use!

Perfect weather. I won't be having last nights cauliflower and lentil curry again this week................

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Perfect weather. I won't be having last nights cauliflower and lentil curry again this week................

This raises a question. What do folk have for breakfast on marathon morning? I usually go for a bagel and peanut butter 3 hours before. But I once shared an AirBnB kitchen with one guy who had 2 hot dog sausages before the start. Sadly he couldn’t speak English so I couldn’t interrogate him...it did seem unconventional though and I’ve never seen this mentioned in any race tips even here in the land of sausage.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
This raises a question. What do folk have for breakfast on marathon morning? I usually go for a bagel and peanut butter 3 hours before. But I once shared an AirBnB kitchen with one guy who had 2 hot dog sausages before the start. Sadly he couldn’t speak English so I couldn’t interrogate him...it did seem unconventional though and I’ve never seen this mentioned in any race tips even here in the land of sausage.

Porridge for me - 2.5 to 3 hours before the start. Then nothing but gels and water on the run itself.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
In all honesty, I am disappointed sat here at the moment. A lot of work and a lot of hours have gone in to this race and I might not be in a position to race it how I want to. :down:

I can target other races, but you want to do well in front of your own crowd!

Given how the Albion perform away from home, Sunday might be your best shot.

Although...

I realise the idea of me (marathon virgin) offering you (much faster runner) advice is a bit ludicrous, but could it be that you’ve set yourself such a high goal that you’re almost inviting yourself to fail? Sub-3 is a monstrous effort for anyone. You mentioned your marathon PB is currently 3:29. Surely it’s an absolutely humongous leap to go sub-3 from there? Why not realign your target to sub-3:10 so you stand a better chance of hitting it and feeling good this weekend then go again for sub-3 another day when you have the confidence of a 3:10 in the bank?

^^What the Badger said. It's a HUGE effort and target – I realised this when I aimed for 3:45 the other year and came in at 4:08.

But then, as a few of us have said, anything can happen on the day – so you just have to wait and see. I'm sure the crowd will lift you at the end. You've done all you can do, try and relax and rest up before Sunday.

Take it from someone who has been bitterly disappointed about missing out on a target time – it REALLY doesn't matter. Not in the grand scheme of things... :thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Since the Marathon in 2017, I've broken every running record I'd ever set as I actually followed a dedicated training programme. I died one hell of a death during the marathon last year and I've worked hard since - whether I'll be able to run 1 minute per mile quicker than last year (which is effectively what I'm trying to do!) remains to be seen but ultimately, there'll be a 2019 race and this isn't the only marathon this year. If I don't go sub 3 this time, I'll rebuild and go again next time, wherever it may be.

I'm looking forward to the race, I've always enjoyed it so far and I'm sure I'll enjoy it again this year - if the time isn't on my side then I'll concentrate on enjoying the day and experience. I should be able to beat last years 3:29 and ultimately, that would be an achievement in itself. But I want to lead home the NSC gang!

I would also like to say that I will NOT be getting up at 6:30am on the day. :thumbsup:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
This is pretty much what a much quicker than me running buddy said today. Basically try and keep an even 7 min miles and try to creep under 3:05, so that's now my aim!

Half expect to blow up and land closer to 3:10 but still a big improvement from 3:22 ish and something to work on next year.

All the 3ish hour attempters are falling by the wayside as the big day approaches.

Is anyone feeling confident?

I think it's a great idea to try to maintain an even pace ticking off each mile at close to 7 min/mile and see how you're feeling at the half way mark and then the 20 mile mark. If you're still feeling comfortable you're in for a fantastic time!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Looks like it is only an outside chance this marathon. Future looks bright for a break through. The current bunch plus yourself, [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION].

Which of you has the NSC fastest marathon time? I believe it's around 3:05:00 by the German? This could be under threat.

3:12 at Brighton 2017 is my PB. London 2019 is my long term goal to go sub 3 so it's a long training cycle (at the moment it's all about slowly building consistent volume) and just hope I stay as injury free as possible between now and then. I ran 1:23 at the London Big Half a couple of weeks ago which was a pleasing sign I'm heading in the right direction but I've still got some way to go.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
3:12 at Brighton 2017 is my PB. London 2019 is my long term goal to go sub 3 so it's a long training cycle (at the moment it's all about slowly building consistent volume) and just hope I stay as injury free as possible between now and then. I ran 1:23 at the London Big Half a couple of weeks ago which was a pleasing sign I'm heading in the right direction but I've still got some way to go.

1:23 is a brilliant time and shows you’re well on target (not to mention ahead of my sub-3 attempt in September; I can only clock 1:35 at the mo)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Could one of the pros offer me an opinion on GELS please?

I have never used a gel in my life. I don't even really know what they are (are they liquid or solid??). However beaten up I get on Sunday, I'm not going to take one as a marathon is not the place for experiments. I realise this is stupidly late to be thinking about this, but is there anything I can do to give myself a boost without running the risk of an unwanted reaction to something I'm not used to? Should I invest in a bag of Jelly Babies? If so, when do I eat them?

I'm not a pro or nutritionist but from what I understand your body is incapable of holding on to enough energy to get you through 26 miles which is why the wall occurs around mile 20 as you run out of fuel. Therefore taking on some form of quick to digest energy is important to starving off the wall. If you don't fancy trying gels, which is probably wise, jelly babies will be fine and you will want to consume them in the earlier parts of the race, after mile 20, it will stop being worthwhile as your body will be all over the place and unable to digest food. Eat a handfull every half an hour.

Although you might not appreciate the additional weight/bulk in your pocket.

If you are going to the village for your race number I would suggest picking up some sachets of the high 5 energy source powder and have one on the start line, you could try one the day before to see if it has any ill effects. I believe that's also what they hand out at some of the drink stands.

Other then that try eating an extra large bowl of pasta/rice/quinoa/other healthier rice alternative on Friday and Saturday.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
1:23 is a brilliant time and shows you’re well on target (not to mention ahead of my sub-3 attempt in September; I can only clock 1:35 at the mo)

Nice! You're getting close! I think you have plenty of time to target sub 3 in the Autumn - if you're able to stay as consistent with your running as possible that will reap huge benefits.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Could one of the pros offer me an opinion on GELS please?

I have never used a gel in my life. I don't even really know what they are (are they liquid or solid??). However beaten up I get on Sunday, I'm not going to take one as a marathon is not the place for experiments. I realise this is stupidly late to be thinking about this, but is there anything I can do to give myself a boost without running the risk of an unwanted reaction to something I'm not used to? Should I invest in a bag of Jelly Babies? If so, when do I eat them?

Do NOT take them unless you have used them on training runs. Just ask [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]

Jelly babies are a good idea, munched when feeling a little depleted from half way on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here