Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Mag - issue 4

The Albion Mag

Jan 23, 2017
We really appreciate feedback.

Would be useful to know if there's an element of our support that would like a voice?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Terrific read.

I had an Albion supporting maths teacher at Warden Park in the mid 80s who emigrated to Australia. I remember he had a radio on in class for the FA cup draw when we got drawn away to Peterborough in 1985 or 86. Legend. I was disappointed when he went and remembered wondering how he could just abandon the Albion so easily. I thought his name was Snowdon, but now I have read the interview in the magazine I do wonder whether it was John Sowden and I have just misremembered. Glad he still keeps the faith, if it is him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Have to say I always find this a cracking online read. Have never ever managed to track down a hard copy (tho think I might have spotted some old copies on a semi-hidden shelf in the Evening Star t'other day)

Begs the bleedin' obvious question: why not focus at distributing it at the Amex on matchdays, and not even for free? In the current fanzine-free vacuum, you could easily flog it for a quid. And keep the income to offset printing costs, or to contribute REMF etc. Love your content, obviously, while seriously questioning your business model.

Live long and prosper :thumbsup:

The Albion Mag

Jan 23, 2017
Have to say I always find this a cracking online read. Have never ever managed to track down a hard copy (tho think I might have spotted some old copies on a semi-hidden shelf in the Evening Star t'other day)

Begs the bleedin' obvious question: why not focus at distributing it at the Amex on matchdays, and not even for free? In the current fanzine-free vacuum, you could easily flog it for a quid. And keep the income to offset printing costs, or to contribute REMF etc. Love your content, obviously, while seriously questioning your business model.

Live long and prosper :thumbsup:

It's not distributed at the ground out of respect for the programme.

Distribution is central Brighton and Hove and we're working on spreading out further.

The Albion Mag

Jan 23, 2017
Terrific read.

I had an Albion supporting maths teacher at Warden Park in the mid 80s who emigrated to Australia. I remember he had a radio on in class for the FA cup draw when we got drawn away to Peterborough in 1985 or 86. Legend. I was disappointed when he went and remembered wondering how he could just abandon the Albion so easily. I thought his name was Snowdon, but now I have read the interview in the magazine I do wonder whether it was John Sowden and I have just misremembered. Glad he still keeps the faith, if it is him.

That's good to hear.

He's a member of Seagulls Down Under if you want to get in touch...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's not distributed at the ground out of respect for the programme.

Fair enough. Never stopped the previous fanzine doing that though.

Distribution is central Brighton and Hove and we're working on spreading out further.

Again, fair enough. Tho larger concentrations of the hard copy version in more closely focused outlets I'd suggest would go further towards achieving maximum coverage, which I guess is what you are aiming for. Brighton station on a matchday (of which we have at least one a month) is a no-brainer for starters. Why on earth spend a huge amount of effort distributing it further afield when much of Sussex and further afield congregates at Brighton station on a matchday?

More than happy to enrol your grandmother in my egg-sucking course in due course :wink:

The Albion Mag

Jan 23, 2017
Maybe sell AFTER the match, when folk are in transport queues (and missed their opp to buy programme)?

It's all about logistics.

Our initial focus has been securing top quality writers and getting enough ad revenue to pay for our costs.

There are only two of us and it's been hard work, but rewarding too...

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just had a quick flick through the online edition, once again I tihnk it looks superb. Will give it a read later.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Online preview looks great again Dan [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Any progress in setting up a subscription for those of us who don't live close to the area and have no chance of picking up a hard copy?

Not living in B&H, I have never seen a print copy, so would be very interested in a subscription. I am assuming that there is not a place in Worthing where print copies are available? If not, something to think about, perhaps.....?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Terrific read.

Mr Snowden, think his first name was Peter? Anyway, he was mine too and he used to take pictures too. Still got a terrific one he gave to me and a mate when we bumped into him at a match where he had his tripod set up. taken from the NW terrace, of Alan Biley curling a wonderful effort into the top corner against Carlisle. We stuffed em 6-1, probably about 1985. He was right behind the shot, a better picture the Park Cameras pro couldn't have taken. Lovely sunny afternoon and he took in Black & White. Still got it somewhere. Cracking picture. Great teacher too, not just because he was aalboon nuts either!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here