Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Renegotiating Sky deal

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I'm paying £37 a month for sky HD, all the kids, box sets but not including movies or sports.

I'm cancelling and buying a humax HD 500gb satellite box, £170, make your money back in 5 months and I can still live pause, rewind etc. Netflix, Amazon Prime and the odd now TV sports pass when we are televised away will do.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I'm paying £37 a month for sky HD, all the kids, box sets but not including movies or sports.

I'm cancelling and buying a humax HD 500gb satellite box, £170, make your money back in 5 months and I can still live pause, rewind etc. Netflix, Amazon Prime and the odd now TV sports pass when we are televised away will do.

I'm paying £26.60 for same package this year, last contract was £18 for same bundle. Was told they couldn't do that deal again. Think it's 40% off.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
I think it's disgusting that some customers are being charged 1x by Sky while others are receiving the same package and paying 2x or even 3x. That's a shocking business model - you don't go into a restaurant and find diners enjoying the same meal at different prices so why does it make it right for TV?

I'll get the wife onto this pronto as I'm currently a £100 + per month Sky all singing, all dancing mule, but even assuming we get a better, more acceptable deal I feel sorry for those that are unaware that are also paying over the odds, it's just not right.

Sky will charge you whatever they can get away with, that is basically their business model. The amount of people I know paying £100+ per month is staggering.
I am in my second year with sky, broadband and phone only. The first year I paid £7.80 for the YEAR, after that they wanted to charge me £38 per month but when I said I'm not renewing I was immediately offered £10 per month.
Another thing about sky is they don't credit check or report to any credit reference agencies, so anyone can get it. If you owe £100's they will wipe your bill and let you sign up again. They get whatever they can from whomever they can.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I just called virgin and got my package down from £32 pcm to £18 for 6 months then £21 for the remaining. Still have to pay line rental on top which a nause

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, the best deals aren't those advertised? Which provider gives the best broadband speeds, as that's something that bugs me about our service.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Max discount is 75%. You can also get up to £100 bill credit. This is quite common. I'm in the process of cancelling Sky. Just waiting for the right deal

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I tried this with Sky a while ago being encouraged by a similar thread on here

They immediately put me through to a gruff sounding Scotsman in 'cancellation' who said to let him know when I wanted to end my services and he'd book it straight in. I backed down pretty quickly. As a result, Murdoch is screwing £120ish out of me a month for phone, full TV package and mediocre broadband

I'll try again in the new year as my box, dish etc seem to be failing and they wouldn't even entertain a renewal of all that.

I must be a soft touch on the phone!

biddles911

May 12, 2014
So, the best deals aren't those advertised? Which provider gives the best broadband speeds, as that's something that bugs me about our service.

Unfortunately a bit of a lottery unless you get fibre optic cable installed (e.g. Virgin) as you're dependent on the line from the BT exchange whichever provider you go for.

I wanted to upgrade to a faster package (with Utility Warehouse) but told I can't because of the BT problem.

Pretty pathetic given I live in Worthing; it's hardly the Outer Hebrides! Roll on the break up of BT, if it ever happens!?

Did have Virgin (very briefly) and think the broadband works fine but it's not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
We cancelled Sky in August as our bill kept creeping up by a few £ each month or so. Were paying about £90pm for phone, internet, basic tv package and sports in HD. BT were doing their big 50-60% off deal and pushing the Wi-Fi router with 200m range so went to them for the same package and we got BT sports included as well for £60pm as Sky couldn't get within £30pm. Only after cancelling and signing up for a year with BT are we now getting calls and letters about coming back. I can only hope they are still trying in a year's time!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Unfortunately a bit of a lottery unless you get fibre optic cable installed (e.g. Virgin) as you're dependent on the line from the BT exchange whichever provider you go for.

I wanted to upgrade to a faster package (with Utility Warehouse) but told I can't because of the BT problem.

Pretty pathetic given I live in Worthing; it's hardly the Outer Hebrides! Roll on the break up of BT, if it ever happens!?

Did have Virgin (very briefly) and think the broadband works fine but it's not cheap.

Are there restrictions on getting Virgin fibre optic stuff?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I tried this with Sky a while ago being encouraged by a similar thread on here

They immediately put me through to a gruff sounding Scotsman in 'cancellation' who said to let him know when I wanted to end my services and he'd book it straight in. I backed down pretty quickly. As a result, Murdoch is screwing £120ish out of me a month for phone, full TV package and mediocre broadband

I'll try again in the new year as my box, dish etc seem to be failing and they wouldn't even entertain a renewal of all that.

I must be a soft touch on the phone!
Jesus Christ

The moment you quit check your Sky account. They will offer you 50% off straight away. This will be followed up with a phone call and a letter.

What exactly have you got to lose ? :facepalm: Call their bluff

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I think it's disgusting that some customers are being charged 1x by Sky while others are receiving the same package and paying 2x or even 3x. That's a shocking business model - you don't go into a restaurant and find diners enjoying the same meal at different prices so why does it make it right for TV?

I'll get the wife onto this pronto as I'm currently a £100 + per month Sky all singing, all dancing mule, but even assuming we get a better, more acceptable deal I feel sorry for those that are unaware that are also paying over the odds, it's just not right.

Its a business model that makes profit. In most restaurants these days (well the chain ones anyway) that is exactly the case. Half the diners have 25% discount vouchers in their pockets, half don't. The thing with Sky / Virgin et al is that it costs them almost nothing to provide the service to you as an individual. All their costs are bulk costs, i.e provision and maintenance of the infrastructure plus the fees to the Premier league etc.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Its a business model that makes profit. In most restaurants these days (well the chain ones anyway) that is exactly the case. Half the diners have 25% discount vouchers in their pockets, half don't. The thing with Sky / Virgin et al is that it costs them almost nothing to provide the service to you as an individual. All their costs are bulk costs, i.e provision and maintenance of the infrastructure plus the fees to the Premier league etc.

Unfortunately one that so many companies use these days e.g. insurance, banks etc.

I recently found that my mother-in-law (85) was just about to pay about 4 times the going rate for renewing her home insurance after some 10 years with her current company.

It's an appalling way to treat good, loyal customers, particularly those who don't have the time or ability to shop around.

In the good old days, you had brokers to find good deals but that's pretty much died a death come the internet.

I can understand "introductory" discounts but scalping long term customers disgusts me and I get fed up with the annual "dance" with all these crooks to keep the premiums down.......

It wouldn't take much in my view to stamp on such practices if the government had any guts e.g. show last year's figure against this year with a percentage uplift plus the industry norm, show the best rate being offered by the company for comparable cover etc.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Unfortunately one that so many companies use these days e.g. insurance, banks etc.

I recently found that my mother-in-law (85) was just about to pay about 4 times the going rate for renewing her home insurance after some 10 years with her current company.

It's an appalling way to treat good, loyal customers, particularly those who don't have the time or ability to shop around.

In the good old days, you had brokers to find good deals but that's pretty much died a death come the internet.

I can understand "introductory" discounts but scalping long term customers disgusts me and I get fed up with the annual "dance" with all these crooks to keep the premiums down.......

It wouldn't take much in my view to stamp on such practices if the government had any guts e.g. show last year's figure against this year with a percentage uplift plus the industry norm, show the best rate being offered by the company for comparable cover etc.

The government are one of these money grabbing companies remember!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Max discount is 75%. You can also get up to £100 bill credit. This is quite common. I'm in the process of cancelling Sky. Just waiting for the right deal

Oh yes- forgot to mention with those deals I was offered also included a £50 account credit.

This makes to two deals £14.30pm for everything but sports in SD, or £20.30 for the whole package inc HD sports.

There is no reason they would offer me a deal that isn't available to everyone else. I did have to quit to get the offer but that was a very simple process-

-Tell Sky you want to quit.
-One month later, this is actioned, from then on your box can only access limited channels (the free ones).
-A week or two later Sky start calling you offering deals.
-Wait until they offer 75% discount if you want to re-join.
-If you do re-join they reactivate all channels within 30mins.

So in short, live without Sky for a week or two, then save £50+ per month.

You will have to repeat something similar every 12 months though.

Which is why I can see more people moving to Freeview/Freesat/Kodi/Netflix/Amazon. Then you don't have to negotiate with Sky/Virgin/whoever once a year!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Oh yes- forgot to mention with those deals I was offered also included a £50 account credit.

This makes to two deals £14.30pm for everything but sports in SD, or £20.30 for the whole package inc HD sports.

There is no reason they would offer me a deal that isn't available to everyone else. I did have to quit to get the offer but that was a very simple process-

-Tell Sky you want to quit.
-One month later, this is actioned, from then on your box can only access limited channels (the free ones).
-A week or two later Sky start calling you offering deals.
-Wait until they offer 75% discount if you want to re-join.
-If you do re-join they reactivate all channels within 30mins.

So in short, live without Sky for a week or two, then save £50+ per month.

You will have to repeat something similar every 12 months though.

Which is why I can see more people moving to Freeview/Freesat/Kodi/Netflix/Amazon. Then you don't have to negotiate with Sky/Virgin/whoever once a year!

People are getting deals without 12 months committed contracts. Live chat tends to be the better option than being on the blower

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here