Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Can anyone confirm what the course is for the Brooks tomorrow?
The info sent out with the race numbers suggests it's the same as last year (3.5 k west to King Alfred, 5K East to Marina, then turn and a final 1.5 to the start).
The website, however, suggests that it's reverted to the 2014 course (all on the road, and starting in an easterly direction).

From the distance signs I saw this morning looks the same as last year. So about 3.5k into the wind to start, then 5 k downwind with a lovely last mile back into the wind, best tactic is look for [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and try to use him as shelter as far as possible from the start!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
From the distance signs I saw this morning looks the same as last year. So about 3.5k into the wind to start, then 5 k downwind with a lovely last mile back into the wind, best tactic is look for [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and try to use him as shelter as far as possible from the start!

Cheers. I still have nightmares about the final 1.5k from last year. By the time I got to the turn most of the fat b******s were behind me and there was no shelter.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good time especially after the 3 miles.

Rain now forecast to be clear by 8am with only light showers to follow. Still very windy though. Need to use fellow runners as a shield. Someone on here taught me that.

Be prepared to overtake your wind blockers, if they slow down. Hope you get 43" and not a second or more better.
6:55 pace gets 43. Run to King Alfred no faster than 7:10 pace and then fly back on the wind.

Good luck and to all other entrants. The weather has put me off spectating or partaking in early refreshments, so I will read race reports on here.
No idea about course but last year changes were due to construction works around the i360.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

It's going to be tough tomorrow. I've felt ill since after the Villa game, I'm blaming the lamb & Guinness pie.

I'm going to try and eat something soon but far from ideal prep.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Be prepared to overtake your wind blockers, if they slow down. Hope you get 43" and not a second or more better.
6:55 pace gets 43. Run to King Alfred no faster than 7:10 pace and then fly back on the wind.

Good luck and to all other entrants. The weather has put me off spectating or partaking in early refreshments, so I will read race reports on here.
No idea about course but last year changes were due to construction works around the i360.

Gusts of 50mph increasing around [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] shorts, average wind speed 35mph. Can't see any records being broken tomorrow.
Good luck to all running Brooks in the morning

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Gusts of 50mph increasing around [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] shorts, average wind speed 35mph. Can't see any records being broken tomorrow.
Good luck to all running Brooks in the morning

Take the first 3 miles relaxed and you"ll smash it, despite the tailwind from [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION].

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well spotted. I'm surprised 40mph winds for 9am was about the same as last year. Shame. Maybe they will run it next week???

As a couch potato runner glad to look back on the season. The memory of you steaming past in the Brighton Marathon and thrashing me by half an hour is tempered by a 5k and 10k double plus the Hasting's Half. You have 6 weeks to work on the 5k and 10k.

Expecting a lot more improvement from you though in 2017.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Brooks 10k cannot close roads as access wanted for emergency vehicles. Bad luck for the runners.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Well spotted. I'm surprised 40mph winds for 9am was about the same as last year. Shame. Maybe they will run it next week???

As a couch potato runner glad to look back on the season. The memory of you steaming past in the Brighton Marathon and thrashing me by half an hour is tempered by a 5k and 10k double plus the Hasting's Half. You have 6 weeks to work on the 5k and 10k.

Expecting a lot more improvement from you though in 2017.

I don't think I'll be troubling the record books now. I was all keyed up for brooks as my final attempt to break sub 43 this year. Apart from mince pie in a fortnight I have nothing planned till 2017. You beat me in 3 of the 4 distances so there's plenty for me to target as goals next year. :clap2::clap2:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hopefully the Brooks will be rescheduled for Dec or Jan. Felt awful yesterday and apart from a solitary sliver of ham I didn't eat a thing.

I'll look forward to the Mince Pie now. If anyone has a spare entry I know someone who would take it.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I don't think I'll be troubling the record books now. I was all keyed up for brooks as my final attempt to break sub 43 this year. Apart from mince pie in a fortnight I have nothing planned till 2017. You beat me in 3 of the 4 distances so there's plenty for me to target as goals next year. :clap2::clap2:

You missed your chance for an 'easy' ultra 27+ miles at the Three Forts, as well. :lolol::lolol:

You've improved too much for me and go into the New Year as bookies favourite.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Be careful out there boys:-

James237

Feb 23, 2014
Hi all my Names James i am a sufferer with Cystic Fibrosis a life threatening hereditary condition that effects nearly all of the vital organs in my body most notably my Lungs. This year i will be taking on the challenge of my life completing the London & Brighton Marathons back to back. Please share my story, like my page and most of all wish me luck! http://m.virginmoneygiving.com/mt/u...rl=JamesandDansdoublemarathon&un_jtt_redirect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
As no game on Saturday I did the Windsor and Eaton Half Marathon at Dorney Lakes . It was a cold cold day, but sunny. The course was flat and was a mini lap followed by 4 laps of the lake. I have been aiming to break the 2 hour time for a HM. I did the GSR in 1.28 so knew that this year my pace and fitness is probably the best it has been since I was at School!!! Well Yippppeeeeeeeeee I finally did it. My official time was 1.58.11 but my watch made in 1.58.07. I had 3 aims this year, break 5 hours for a marathon - achieved, break 2 hours for a HM - achieved, break 50 mins for a 10k - failed! My next and probably final run this year will be the Brighton Santa 5k on the 10th December. This year has been one hell of a year personally, next year I want to beat all my PBs once again! Soon my training will all be geared towards the Cyprus Marathon in March and Brighton Marathon in April.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1453550799
WE HM.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As no game on Saturday I did the Windsor and Eaton Half Marathon at Dorney Lakes . It was a cold cold day, but sunny. The course was flat and was a mini lap followed by 4 laps of the lake. I have been aiming to break the 2 hour time for a HM. I did the GSR in 1.28 so knew that this year my pace and fitness is probably the best it has been since I was at School!!! Well Yippppeeeeeeeeee I finally did it. My official time was 1.58.11 but my watch made in 1.58.07. I had 3 aims this year, break 5 hours for a marathon - achieved, break 2 hours for a HM - achieved, break 50 mins for a 10k - failed! My next and probably final run this year will be the Brighton Santa 5k on the 10th December. This year has been one hell of a year personally, next year I want to beat all my PBs once again! Soon my training will all be geared towards the Cyprus Marathon in March and Brighton Marathon in April.

View attachment 79589

Bravo Sir. Good work!

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Quick question. Does anyone run with the new Apple Watch as their time keeper. Just back from injury and doing a few 5k's and started using the apple rather than my old Garmin. Love the feel of the watch and ease of use on the whole. But when I've been trying to do a decent timed run and want to pause the time due to crossing a busy road etc, it seems to be a faff to do so. Rather than a simple tap of the side button mid stride like a normal watch, you have to swipe the screen to get to another window and then press pause on that screen. As you are still in running motion coming to a halt it's all a bit fumble and it can take a few seconds which of course come off your time. Anyone else feel the same? It's niggling me a tad that you can't just press the side button. Someone might well make me look foolish and tell me you can...if so please tell me how!

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Quick question. Does anyone run with the new Apple Watch as their time keeper. Just back from injury and doing a few 5k's and started using the apple rather than my old Garmin. Love the feel of the watch and ease of use on the whole. But when I've been trying to do a decent timed run and want to pause the time due to crossing a busy road etc, it seems to be a faff to do so. Rather than a simple tap of the side button mid stride like a normal watch, you have to swipe the screen to get to another window and then press pause on that screen. As you are still in running motion coming to a halt it's all a bit fumble and it can take a few seconds which of course come off your time. Anyone else feel the same? It's niggling me a tad that you can't just press the side button. Someone might well make me look foolish and tell me you can...if so please tell me how!

I gave up using my Apple Watch as a running companion and returned to using iSmoothRun on my iPhone paired with a cheapy old Pebble watch for the reasons above. Hated that I had to swipe or that sometimes the watch face wouldn't come up when I tilted my wrist up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

View attachment 79589

Good work !

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012

Sorry for the waste of a post, just answered my own question! http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/0...watch-to-automatically-pause-resume-workouts/
Should of known Apple wouldn't have left me hanging.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here