Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was it a fluke?

Yes Atsu comically slices his shot and then it grazes off Murphy's boot. But it looks to me that Diame then angles his foot to direct it goalbound with only a millisecond to react to his teammates' miskicks. So I think this could be a decent bit of technique by Diame

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Of course it was a fluke! It will probably feature on YouTubes "Top 10 Flukiest goals of 2017"

Last edited:

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
The touch was intentional, that it spun into the top corner was by luck far more than judgement. Good improvisation but he had very little control over where it ended up.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
are you high?

He made a slight movement in reaction to the ball coming to him.
There was no technique involved. He wasn't intending to send it goalwards

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've not heard nor seen an interview myself, but I travelled home with Albion staff who mentioned that Diame confessed it was a complete fluke and he knew nothing about it.

are you high?

He made a slight movement in reaction to the ball coming to him.
There was no technique involved. He wasn't intending to send it goalwards

Your 2nd par contradicts your 3rd - and it appears you don't have the excuse of drugs?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It was a fluke goal that produced a deserved victory. And that's all that matters. You can also argue 'flukes' (which count the same as goal of the seasons) tend to happen more when inviting non stop pressure for most of the game. The harder I work, the luckier I get and all that.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Clearly that's your archetypal continentals innit

The ability to see a ball ping 2 ways and to sort out the angle, slice and speed to get the ball spinning wildly over the despairing keeper and defender on the line. Only the highly intelligent can see what a planned goal it was.

Also the same highly intelligent people who are the only ones who can see how great a leader corbyn is.

I pity those so blind as they cannot see it

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
It was a decent payback for the hours that Newcastle spend on the training ground, practising flukey ways to defeat the opposition.
Sky earlier in the day showed 2 goals as NUFC goal highlights... both penalty area ping pong finally falling at the feet of one if their players... so yes, it seems flukes play a part.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
It was clearly a fluke - he's said so now but even fron his immediate reaction you could tell. It was the only way they were going to get that first goal. Stockdale even passed the ball to Gouffran in front of goal and they still mucked that up.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It was a fluke, he wasn't even looking at the ball. Still you make your own luck I guess it was not unmerited equaliser.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes Atsu comically slices his shot and then it grazes off Murphy's boot. But it looks to me that Diame then angles his foot to direct it goalbound with only a millisecond to react to his teammates' miskicks. So I think this could be a decent bit of technique by Diame

Nope he admitted on SKY that it was a fluke so nothing to do with technique. He even smiled as he admitted it was just plain lucky.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Tell me, have you ever played the game at any point since you were 7 years old? Even five a side? I only ask because if you had, you'd appreciate that this sort of thing happens and when you're the one who scores it, you immediately put your hand up to acknowledge a complete fluke. You're just over analysing it and there's really no need - he simply stuck his foot out in the millisecond he had to think about it.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Tell me, have you ever played the game at any point since you were 7 years old? Even five a side? I only ask because if you had, you'd appreciate that this sort of thing happens and when you're the one who scores it, you immediately put your hand up to acknowledge a complete fluke. You're just over analysing it and there's really no need - he simply stuck his foot out in the millisecond he had to think about it.

Yes, that. Very strange post indeed. We might as well start a thread about whether Stockdale deliberately passed the ball to Gouffran, so that he could get his save stats up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here