Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bruno

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Bruno is a a superb footballer and i find him really entertaining, but always worry that he can be a bit of a liabilty.

However, the best bit is the way he minces off after whipping the ball of an opponents toe. If i was the opposition i would be after him trying to put him into row Z. That, my friends, is flair :thumbsup:

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
I don't understand why so many posters give him a hard time. OK, he might not be the greatest of defenders but he has some great touches and on many occasions he has put the killer cross into the box. Also, I see him as Brighton through and through, a bit like Calde, capable of great things, but in any case on our side and one of us. So lay off.

Agreed, he won his first header yyesterday, so everyone lay off him .:)

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
He is an entertainer and when I go to football I want to be entertained. He is not what you would call solid but he has flair and that is good to see. He sets things up well but as has been said here, he is far from faultless in defence. It depends how you look at things.

He cannot have been that bad though, given our defensive record in past seasons. Of course time has caught up with him a bit.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Our right back wasn't responsible For any of Birminghams goals, he provided a cross from which we scored, and the penalty he gave away as their player was skipping though our defence, they missed. Oh well, Ashley Barnes is gone and JFC wasn't playing. :shrug:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Our right back wasn't responsible For any of Birminghams goals, he provided a cross from which we scored, and the penalty he gave away as their player was skipping though our defence, they missed. Oh well, Ashley Barnes is gone and JFC wasn't playing. :shrug:

:lol: The tackle on Shinnie was calamitous, if not for Stockdale's superb save the outcome of the game could have been very different. The rest of Bruno's game is fine, but his defensive capabilities are left wanting.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Full backs job is difficult nowadays (used to be easier)

I don't understand why so many posters give him a hard time. OK, he might not be the greatest of defenders but he has some great touches and on many occasions he has put the killer cross into the box. Also, I see him as Brighton through and through, a bit like Calde, capable of great things, but in any case on our side and one of us. So lay off.

He is a great old fashioned full back of very high quality.

He is got the pace to keep up with the winger* and recovery time if beaten to block the cross (as long as the winger does not dummy and deceive him), most importantly he has got the positioning and pace for interceptions before the winger actually gets the ball (best way to stop a winger), most of the time (not against Shinnie) he tenaciously prevents the inverted winger from turning inside, got height to counter far post headers, pace to get forward and cross, and even pops with a few goals with head and feet at times. Passing ability is probably over the 80% satisfactory level (I've not looked it up).

Downs: he can get a bit slapdash and complacent occasionally. If required to run back and forth too much, he will run out of steam (against Arsenal) but that is because is getting on a bit.

(* a winger is expected to beat the man on the outside two out of three times, if he doesn't there is no point being on the pitch)

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
:lol: The tackle on Shinnie was calamitous, if not for Stockdale's superb save the outcome of the game could have been very different. The rest of Bruno's game is fine, but his defensive capabilities are left wanting.

The defensive capabilities of every player in defence has been found wanting recently, it's Bruno's turn to be singled out this week. The others don't have anywhere near his ball skills or flair though. Bruno is one of the pluses of this team for me. I miss him when he's not playing.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
not a great first half admittedly but not our worst defender even then. Brilliant and creative second half more than made up for it. Bruno has genuine quality even if he is prone to the odd howler. All players possess the second ability. How many posses the first?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
not a great first half admittedly but not our worst defender even then. Brilliant and creative second half more than made up for it. Bruno has genuine quality even if he is prone to the odd howler. All players possess the second ability. How many posses the first?

Exactly and just because some want to complain, they use the odd howler to knock the good bits.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I am a big Bruno fan, class player

Is the right answer.

Poyet brought him in to replace Calderon
Garcia preferred to Calderon
Hyypia also preferred him

and now seemingly Hughton does in the main.

However, yesterday his passing was poor and the challenge for the penalty was poor, but he covered for Greer time and time again, and that is the main reason he was out of position particularly in the second half. Have said countless times Calderon is a better midfielder than RB (same with Bennett as well probably at LB).

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
He's a good footballer and seems a lovely bloke too.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Every home game ,when Bruno starts, we say at the start ' how long today before he makes a major cock-up' and I'm sorry to say that he don't usually disappoint us. The club spent a long time chasing that Irish fullback for a reason and we still need to sort out that position and the right side of the middle of the defence, both Bruno and Greer are at the end of their careers at this level. Both too slow and prone to mistakes.

This about sums it up for me, both reaching the end of their careers and it is no coincidence that we are defensively poor this season. We need some more legs in defence. Upson's football brain got him thru last season. Unfortunately Greer hasn't got that luxury and playing alongside Bruno, the two of them play each other into dodgy situations with tippy tappy passing to each other. Time for some younger blood in there in my opinion.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The attitude to Bruno exemplifies some of our fan base's opinion in "flair" players: "Ooh, look he does lots of flicks and tricks. He's an amazing footballer". Completely ignore the catastrophic error he has in him every game and the lack of interest in actually defending, he does a step over, so he's great. Period. Whereas players who, you know, work hard and do their job (Barnes, Andrews, dare I say it, JFC) get pelters.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
One of the worst appearances in a bha shirt at the amex,woeful from start to finish

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here