Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Bonfire guidelines. Ridiculous

Dandyman

In London village.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm no great fan of elfin safety. I do however just about remember being taken there by my Dad and Grandad many years ago when rolling flaming tar barrels down the street was all part of the fun.

Hate to admit it, but I think on that score elfin safety got it right for once!

Once a year entire villages come out and get proper pissed up as they have done for hundreds of years. Pissed up people do silly things. It's vibrant, it's raw, it's local. It's not some sanitised yank import to mark the onset of Winter.

Well done plod for warning people to take sensible precautions rather than turning it into an event where the HSE make sure everyone stays behind safety barriers, alcohol sales are banned and burger vans turn up like a convention of Nigels and their caravans.

Is anyone bringing along a Sami Hyypia to stick on one of the bonfires this year?

I guess I see it differently

:drink: :flameboun :drink:

I've never been, leave it to the locals, meanwhile I'm suprised (and pleased) there is still an element of danger that has not been stamped out by H&S

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Live now in Lewes area and have worked in Lewes over the years and still do and consider it my 2nd town and i have been a smuggler in CBS but normally go to the Waterloo fire site.....won't be going this year tho

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I presume you're not from Sussex.
I am and I find the whole thing odd. Seaford have started the whole bonfire thing again now but I give that a wide birth.

Each to their own and clearly enough people still enjoy it to hold big events like Lewes.

See, we can all live and love together in harmony.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I always watch the south street procession from the bottom of the high street as it heads for the firesite

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Can't wait until Wednesday. I did my first ever bonfire when 4 months old. Now aged 38 I still love the rush it gives me. Battle on Saturday just gone was certainly a good warm up for Lewes on Wednesday.

Good luck to all my fellow bonfire boys and girls on here for the glorious 'fifth'

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can't wait until Wednesday. I did my first ever bonfire when 4 months old. Now aged 38 I still love the rush it gives me. Battle on Saturday just gone was certainly a good warm up for Lewes on Wednesday.

Good luck to all my fellow bonfire boys and girls on here for the glorious 'fifth'

Fantastic weather forecast, should be a cracker. Wrap up well though, it'll be the coldest night for a very long time!

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Fantastic weather forecast, should be a cracker. Wrap up well though, it'll be the coldest night for a very long time!

I'll be wrapped warm alright. On the fire site from 6am helping set up one of the displays. Then in the evening I shall be enclosed in many layers as possible including my flame retardant suit and hard up.

I find it's all about keeping the feet warm. 2 pairs of socks on and another 2 pairs in my kitbag :D:D

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I'll be wrapped warm alright. On the fire site from 6am helping set up one of the displays. Then in the evening I shall be enclosed in many layers as possible including my flame retardant suit and hard up.

I find it's all about keeping the feet warm. 2 pairs of socks on and another 2 pairs in my kitbag :D:D

Who are you with, Forrest ?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Will be marching us usual with Southover, have done for last 10 years since it reformed. Unfortunately, we have no aerial display site this year so not sure what I will do later on.

PG

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
South Street is my main society. Firle is for when I am in Firle! :wink:

As for Lord B, he will also be in the colours of a Lewes bonfire society on Wednesday. Depending on how cold it is, he may wear several sets of said colours, mind.

South Street is my main society. Firle is for when I am in Firle! :wink:

As for Lord B, he will also be in the colours of a Lewes bonfire society on Wednesday. Depending on how cold it is, he may wear several sets of said colours, mind.
If someone would knit me a half-and-half Guernsey ...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here