Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This nonsense about being effectively promoted tomorrow because of our superior GD

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The only teams that are guaranteed a top 6 finish are us and the Geordies.
Strangely, SSN yesterday were saying that only Brighton had guaranteed at least a play-off place (heaven forbid!) and that Newcastle could achieve that this weekend. Can't see how they worked that out!

It's unlikely that any of the current teams in the play off spots will have their play off spot confirmed until 2nd to last game. In fact, I think there would still be a twist or turn to come here and haven't ruled out the possibility that Huddersfield may finish 7th.
7th. - or lower! Even Norwich in 10th. could potentially overtake them. Also very unlikely, but............

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Strangely, SSN yesterday were saying that only Brighton had guaranteed at least a play-off place (heaven forbid!) and that Newcastle could achieve that this weekend. Can't see how they worked that out!

Because having made the first mistake, it is unthinkable that Newcastle won't follow suit immediately.

So if we win the league, the headline will be 'Newcastle promoted at first attempt.and they will be joined in the top flight by Brighton'.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Sorry to intrude into private grief but . . . . what does 'bore off' acually mean? I may have asked this question before. It is grammatical nonsense, and informs syntax like a little nugget of rabbit poo informs a bowl of muesli. :shrug:

Grammatical nonsense it may seem, but it is colloquially correct. For the those blinding by the arrogance of intellectual bovine defecation, it means F*CK OFF YOU BORING C*NT.

Effectively.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Grammatical nonsense it may seem, but it is colloquially correct. For the those blinding by the arrogance of intellectual bovine defecation, it means F*CK OFF YOU BORING C*NT.

Effectively.

Oh, I see. Shorthand with word rearrangement. A bit like 'your talking', as shorthand with rearrangement for 'you're talking out of your arse'. Newfangled neologisms. I'll make a note :cheers:

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
Haha, yes I love that interview. Very funny. And yes, that's true. I believe in the end she agreed in that scenario she would answer her country's call and be Queen!

Many a slip between cup and lip. Went to Stranraer (Just don't) and then Glasgow last week.. If we are looking for unlikely scenarios we could be demoted for financial irregularities - but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
For me (and you) the absolute dream results tomorrow are Brighton WIN, Hudds/Preston DRAW.

Win v Wigan required to SEAL promotion.

I'm with this scenario. I think that if it's the GD 'promotion' on Monday, it'll be hard for the players to celebrate publicly after the final whistle because strictly speaking the job's not done. We'll probably get the damp squib of Hudds losing after we've played to clinch it. Just because that's how life is.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Sorry to intrude into private grief but . . . . what does 'bore off' acually mean? I may have asked this question before. It is grammatical nonsense, and informs syntax like a little nugget of rabbit poo informs a bowl of muesli. :shrug:

The phrase is a few years old and comes from this:

Casper said that he doesn't get over excited and takes a game at a time, (after we won promotion in 2011) to which Elliott Bennett said " bore off we have just gone up "

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The phrase is a few years old and comes from this:

Casper said that he doesn't get over excited and takes a game at a time, (after we won promotion in 2011) to which Elliott Bennett said " bore off we have just gone up "

Hmmmm.... Why would he say he was goint to take one game at a time if we had just been promoted? There would be no more games to take one at a time. Perhaps he was referring to how he took each game before we reached the magic points tally. In which case, if I were Casper I would have said 'now your talking'..... :whistle:

This has started to irritate me. Fortunately the expression has had the opposite effect on me to 'we're on our way' which has become an ear worm the size of this

worm.jpeg

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Hmmmm.... Why would he say he was goint to take one game at a time if we had just been promoted? There would be no more games to take one at a time. Perhaps he was referring to how he took each game before we reached the magic points tally. In which case, if I were Casper I would have said 'now your talking'..... :whistle:

This has started to irritate me. Fortunately the expression has had the opposite effect on me to 'we're on our way' which has become an ear worm the size of this

View attachment 84059

Still the title to play for in the remaining games - hence the 1 game at a time from Casper

Just like this weekend where we can win promotion but the title would still be there to be won or lost and the season wouldn't be over until that was decided too

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Still the title to play for in the remaining games - hence the 1 game at a time from Casper

Mmmm.... in which case Bennett was being unjustifiably rude. As, it would seem, are most people who use the expression.

Anyway, for me, anyone reaching for the 'bore off' solution becomes immediately diminished in my eyes. It fits in the pantheon of clunky, incorrect or incoherent words and expressions alongside the likes of:

Have you bought your wallet?
How significant do you think that result will be at the end of the season?

and the classic 'jog on'. :wrong::mad::shootself

There are countless others but fortunately my tiny mind seems to have obliterated them from my easy-access memory tank.

Right, enough of this bollocks. Its a lovely day, and I have a football match to work myself up over. I dreamt about the Albion last night. I met all the players doing early training today, and gave them all my best wishes. It was tremendously emotional. punk:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Mmmm.... in which case Bennett was being unjustifiably rude. As, it would seem, are most people who use the expression.

Anyway, for me, anyone reaching for the 'bore off' solution becomes immediately diminished in my eyes. It fits in the pantheon of clunky, incorrect or incoherent words and expressions alongside the likes of:

There are countless others but fortunately my tiny mind seems to have obliterated them from my easy-access memory tank.

Right, enough of this bollocks. Its a lovely day, and I have a football match to work myself up over. I dreamt about the Albion last night. I met all the players doing early training today, and gave them all my best wishes. It was tremendously emotional. punk:

Bore off.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

What does 'bought your wallet' mean?

Have you purchased your wallet?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Or simply it could just be interpreted as: - why don't you start to enjoy the moment (we had just been promoted to the Championship in our final season at Withdean) and stop being so dull about this special achievement

It's a bit like someone finding out that they have just won the lottery and all they can think about is the begging letters that will be heading their way and wondering if they will have to pay tax on their win or not, (a boring outlook on life) only for someone to say to them to enjoy the moment and worry about those little (probably insignificant) things that are troubling them later

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What does 'bought your wallet' mean?

Have you purchased your wallet?

The speaker meant 'brought'.......people drop the r because subconsciously they think it sounds posher.....

'often' pronounced 'orften' is another. The t is silent.

Gets massively on my snobbish tits :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Or simply it could just be interpreted as: - why don't you start to enjoy the moment (we had just been promoted to the Championship in our final season at Withdean) and stop being so dull about this special achievement

It's a bit like someone finding out that they have just won the lottery and all they can think about is the begging letters that will be heading their way and wondering if they will have to pay tax on their win or not, (a boring outlook on life) only for someone to say to them to enjoy the moment and worry about those little (probably insignificant) things that are troubling them later

I agree with the sentiment but hate the expression. Bit surprised, TBH, that only one wag has replied 'bore off' to my wittering.... :lolol:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Radio 5 Live has just said 'Brighton could be promoted today'.

Agreed. The goal difference simply won't be overhauled in the real world.

:albion2: :albion2: :albion2:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Radio 5 Live has just said 'Brighton could be promoted today'.

Agreed. The goal difference simply won't be overhauled in the real world.

:albion2: :albion2: :albion2:

Only if we get 4 points for the win, and Huddersfield lose.

Not going to happen in the real world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here