Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stoke and Copeland Matchday By-election Thread

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As I have no party to vote for at the moment I woke up this morning shocked and saddened that people in Copeland actually supported this horrible, nasty, failing Government that we have.
With Labour being in a mess and the nuclear issue and UKIP/Lib Dems being a waste of time, if this country wants to stand up against mainstream politicians what a great opportunity to make worldwide headlines and as a community say 'sod it, we are all not going to vote for anyone.
It would have been the best way to wake up our dreadful MP's and give them the huge kick up the arse they so richly deserve.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If the Tories take back all the UKIP votes then this government will be around for a long long time. Corbyn surely must think long and hard about his position now.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Why??? He'll still have the support of t'membership!!

I'm not so sure of this. I know a lot of sensible Labour Party members on the left of the party

The attitude at leadership election mk. II was far from a ringing endorsement of Jeremy Corbyn's leadership more an outright rejection of Owen Smith. It was the arrogance of the centre/right putting up a candidate as lightweight as Smith more than any great love for Corbyn that lost them that one.

Show the members a candidate from the left of the party without the baggage that Corbyn's got and I think there would be a different result.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Copeland - 6.69% swing to the Tories .. if replicated at the next GE would mean Labour losing more than 50 seats ...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think people will see UKIP as irrelevant from now on and would expect an exodus back to the Tories. UKIP simply can't reimage itself, it talks about the patriotic voice of the working class whilst having individuals on their executive committee with quasi-libertarian beliefs.
Quasi-libertarian beliefs? What are you talking about?

UKIP - and Farage - gathered a lot of votes because people wanted a referendum, and wanted to leave the EU. Despite its protestations that it is a real political party, most of its votes were gained because it was seen as a single purpose pressure group by the voters. Now the feeling is, its job is done (though it will be needed again if pro EU politicians seek back door methods of staying in the EU) but its members still want to try and keep it going as a party. Trouble is, all that is left after the Brexit aim has been achieved, is a rather nasty right wing party which doesn't attract huge support, especially among the Labour leavers who previously voted for it.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
[tweet]835108598267031552[/tweet]

@jeremycorbyn is one of the most popular politicians in the country says Labour's @ IanLaveryMP

#BONKERS

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I only saw another MAGNIFICENT triumph for Corbyn last night, who cares about a TINPOT place nobody even KNOWS where it is ?

You are getting funnier by the day! :lol: Reduced majority equals magnificent triumph, are you Peter Mandelson?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As I have no party to vote for at the moment I woke up this morning shocked and saddened that people in Copeland actually supported this horrible, nasty, failing Government that we have.
With Labour being in a mess and the nuclear issue and UKIP/Lib Dems being a waste of time, if this country wants to stand up against mainstream politicians what a great opportunity to make worldwide headlines and as a community say 'sod it, we are all not going to vote for anyone.
It would have been the best way to wake up our dreadful MP's and give them the huge kick up the arse they so richly deserve.

You sound like Jezza, just want to sit on the sidelines moaning but not actually do anything about it?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Come on Theresa,you've been teasing us long enough.Call a General Election and give yourself an absolute majority.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Great result for the Tories. Won the one they wanted and saw Labour probably do just enough to keep Corbyn in the job despite the UKIP self destructing.

In fact, looking at the result their only regret may be not trying a bit harder in Stoke....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here