Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes applause for the Albion fan who sadly passed away at Falmer.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Still think a fan-led campaign to install a defibrillator at Falmer station would be far more of a fitting and lasting tribute to Dennis, rather than some random minute's applause.
Go ahead. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
It is certainly my understanding that the applause was introduced because of the mindless few who couldn't observe a minutes silence. It wasn't just the silence being broken, it was often what it was broken with....the most disgusting I heard was the 'murderers' chant against Liverpool during a silence to remember the 96, there are some right idiots out there. Much as I personally prefer the silence, the applause works much better to drown out any pissed up idiots.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Applause only started as people were not respecting the minutes silence, soon it will be wave a scarf or something as the applause won't be respected and so on.

It's like everything now, people have to make a big show out of something as it's part of the 'look at me' society we are in.

For once, I agree with you.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I'd always assumed, obviously mistakenly, that there was a defibrillator at every station nowadays. Certainly there was a big push to have them installed on the Brighton mainline some years back.

Seems to me a lasting way to honour this poor man's memory as a fellow fan would be for us fans (via NSC?) to raise money for a defibrillator at Falmer station.

Excellent idea. They cost approx. £1,500 which could be raised easily by a collection at a future Amex game.

Well despite some differing opinions on here, overall I think it went very well, everyone joined in, us, the QPR fans, even the bench stood and applauded. Then to have Stockdale even join in at the end was great. Thank you to all who joined in and made it a fitting tribute to a lifelong Albion fan. I was informed after the game, the family were overwhelmed by it and the support they have got. The overall response it got, made me proud to be a fan of this amazing club, with an amazing set of fans. UTA! #Together.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Well despite some differing opinions on here, overall I think it went very well, everyone joined in, us, the QPR fans, even the bench stood and applauded. Then to have Stockdale even join in at the end was great. Thank you to all who joined in and made it a fitting tribute to a lifelong Albion fan. I was informed after the game, the family were overwhelmed by it and the support they have got. The overall response it got, made me proud to be a fan of this amazing club, with an amazing set of fans. UTA! #Together.

and the "SEAGULLS" immediately after was as loud as I can remember at the Amex :ascarf:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
The tribute was absolutely SUPERB. The benches both joined in and I'm sure the family appreciated the gesture.

Quality all round.

On a general point, I think applause rather than silence reflects the recent move towards the feeling that it's better to celebrate someone's life rather than mourn their passing. Yes it's very sad, but what better way to send them on their way than a minute of respectful happiness.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The tribute was absolutely SUPERB. The benches both joined in and I'm sure the family appreciated the gesture.

Quality all round.

On a general point, I think applause rather than silence reflects the recent move towards the feeling that it's better to celebrate someone's life rather than mourn their passing. Yes it's very sad, but what better way to send them on their way than a minute of respectful happiness.

Agreed. I though it was magnificent last night, including the spontaneous 'Seagulls' chant afterwards.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I thought it worked really well. Also noticed that play during that minute was mainly confined to the half way line and consisted of a few throw ins. I am guessing this was a pre match gentlemen's agreement by both benches .
Big respect to QPR fans as well.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Excellent idea. They cost approx. £1,500 which could be raised easily by a collection at a future Amex game.

PS: A programme to ensure all 70 stations in sussex, including presumably Falmer, have defibs started earlier this year thanks to The Sussex Heart Charity. On match days the ground is covered off, as it was last week, by multiple, on hand, health facilities/St Johns Ambulances etc.
http://www.southernrailway.com/south...hern-stations/

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

I applauded enthusiastically as I imagine 99% of decent folk did, and it was great to see QPR fans join in. The differing opinions, to which you refer, are perhaps not so "differing". I voiced mild concern, as did others, at the possibility of applauding becoming routine, and it would be deeply upsetting for families if it became so humdrum that very few fans bothered. I am sure that no one is against the idea of communal respect as such being shown in whatever form you choose. Someone posted that it has happened now only twice this season and this ensures that applause is as special as it should be. But if it happened three times every match . . Unlikely, I know, but it is possible as the idea catches on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here