Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Posh v Albion

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
For the record, Dwight Gayle was sold to Palace from them last season for over £6 Million (cant remember the exact amount, could be higher). Assombalonga is probably as good as Gayle, if not better - so can we really afford to spend that much on a player like him ?

A player like him we certainly need, but I cant see it being him because of the M word.

Fair point, but I'm not so sure they could get that much for BA.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Really ? Toko signed ages ago and COG signed to replace someone who left 6 months ago. Any signings made now will have at most one friendly game to bed in before the opener. Is that ideal for you ? Not for me. Recruitment has been poor this summer. Players sold and released and precious little in their place
If a player is quality they don't really need to bed in, that's an excuse managers use if they have a bad start. For example Ulloa didn't need to have a pre season of bedding in did he?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Watched the game via a feed today. Felt we were a lot better than vs Crawley, which will give some estimation of how bad we were there.

I thought going forward looked more promising that at any point under Garcia's tenure, we even got more than one player in the box!

However, defensively we are a shambles and whether that is down to Greer's absence I don't know, but it is poor.

When Crofts was in midfield we looked quite comfortable, as soon as he went off we were weak in that area as well.

We do need more quality as far as I can see, and I don't mean promising youngsters.

Assombalonga (?sp) anyone as a new forward?

Would absolutely love to get him , surely possible if we flashed some money

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Watched the game via a feed today. Felt we were a lot better than vs Crawley, which will give some estimation of how bad we were there.

I thought going forward looked more promising that at any point under Garcia's tenure, we even got more than one player in the box!

However, defensively we are a shambles and whether that is down to Greer's absence I don't know, but it is poor.

When Crofts was in midfield we looked quite comfortable, as soon as he went off we were weak in that area as well.

We do need more quality as far as I can see, and I don't mean promising youngsters.

Assombalonga (?sp) anyone as a new forward?
That's because IMO Crofts and Greer are PL class and could both do a job there.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Genuine question Symyjym, having finished in the play-off's two season's running, is mid-table acceptable?

For me, it would be going backwards.

Speaking as a fan I want promotion or there abouts every season, but I am not Bloom. Sometimes you have to backwards to go forwards and as fans, things are out of our control, so it's not worth getting too worked up about it.

I've chosen to approach this season apathetically.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Personally, I think we need to be in or around the playoffs or Tony can wave bye bye to our infamously fickle fans. Less bums on seats = less revenue.

Are our fans "infamously fickle" ?
They seem to be very loyal and keen on football at the Amex with no signs this year that season ticket holders are any different to last years record 23K
If there's evidence that Albion fans are more fickle than any other club then keen to read it or see it if you can point me to any...

Average attendances - Last 10 years...
05/06 - 6,793
06/7 - 6,332
07/8 - 6,419
09/10 - 6,837
10/11 - 7,624
11/12 - 21,829
12/13- 26,024
13/14 - 27,110

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Personally, I think we need to be in or around the playoffs or Tony can wave bye bye to our infamously fickle fans. Less bums on seats = less revenue.

I agree, the club has to get the right balance and keep that carrot dangling in front of us donkies :lolol:

Edit; Don't agree with the infamously fickle bit though.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Sorry, what? How are our fans infamously fickle?

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
For me, everyone is wetting themselves over afew bad pre-season run outs in which we haven't even had our best eleven fit players playing together. If in worst case scenario we only get one more player in: a goalie (obviously gonna be brought in b4 the 1st game), we could still see the following line up:

-----------New GK----------
Bruno---Dunk---Greer---Chicksen
----Toko--Crofts--Solly---------
Buckley--CMS/Ogrady--LuaLua

If starting the season with this line up enables us to get players in at the end of the window and save some money for whatever is needed in January, then I'm all for it :thumbsup:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
For me, everyone is wetting themselves over afew bad pre-season run outs in which we haven't even had our best eleven fit players playing together. If in worst case scenario we only get one more player in: a goalie (obviously gonna be brought in b4 the 1st game), we could still see the following line up:

If starting the season with this line up enables us to get players in at the end of the window and save some money for whatever is needed in January, then I'm all for it :thumbsup:

Kind of agree that on the desperate spectrum of very - slightly - not I think the pointer is in the middle.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Fewer bums on seats = less revenue.

Although less bums on seats (meaning smaller bums) might imply they eat less and therefore spend less on food at the Amex, but I'm not sure you can draw that inference.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

Trouble is we've got to sign the keeper in the first place, Chicksen doesn't appear to be up to it and Toko has a mystery knee injury the club are keeping quiet like they did with Stephens ankle injury last season.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Good enough side to get a result v sheff wed I reckon .

Can see Wednesday scoring at least 1 though

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Trouble is we've got to sign the keeper in the first place, Chicksen doesn't appear to be up to it and Toko has a mystery knee injury the club are keeping quiet like they did with Stephens ankle injury last season.

With almost fek all attacking cover...with apologies too young Fenelon....plus only 2 others covering midfield...JFC (who is a tad inconsistent) and young Ince..good first season...can he crack on from there

Ps I'd forgotten Kemi...quite hard to do with his new look

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
until Stephens is fit you would think we need some cover in this area

Really? He plays a midfield three. We have Crofts, Toko, Ince, JFC and, if needs be, Kemy. As he showed today, Bruno can fit in there too, as could March. It's the position that we look most comfortable in, for me.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Number 23

Fenelon (I think, he's worn it most matches!).

Thanks. I had worked it out from the Crawley programme. Even though I only saw the second half, he caught my eye with his runs. On that performance, Buckley's place is under threat.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Speaking as a fan I want promotion or there abouts every season, but I am not Bloom. Sometimes you have to backwards to go forwards and as fans, things are out of our control, so it's not worth getting too worked up about it.

I've chosen to approach this season apathetically.

Fair enough. I wonder whether this is one of those seasons where we might regret not 'kicking on', assuming we don't sufficiently in terms of playing personnel.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Really? He plays a midfield three. We have Crofts, Toko, Ince, JFC and, if needs be, Kemy. As he showed today, Bruno can fit in there too, as could March. It's the position that we look most comfortable in, for me.

They are different types of players to my mind....Stephens and Crofts are the engine room...Toko..maybe if fit...but he is also new to English football ...JFC still a tad inconsistent....March is he a winger...or wide midfield...whatever it is he's lacking in experience...Kemi? Well I haven't seen him since last season and he didn't fancy running much....which leaves Ince I guess....sorry but to me with Stephens out to who knows when I actually think we are lacking that type of player

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here