Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hardest School in Brighton

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I was there 75-79. First years it was Comprehensive rather than Secondary Mod but it didn't change much. Max Gargan was in my class, bright lad, his brother Chris was in the year above. Packham taught my whole class the wrong History syllabus and we all got Us! Tw#t. Can't believe he still writes letters to the Argus.

PG

Hi PG, I haven't bought the Argus for a over a year so I'm not sure if he still writes.
Do you remember Frank Ingham? He scared the crap out of me when I first started at Fawcett.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Hi PG, I haven't bought the Argus for a over a year so I'm not sure if he still writes.
Do you remember Frank Ingham? He scared the crap out of me when I first started at Fawcett.

Vaguely. Des Moore was the scary one I recall.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
chin rub, as we used to say, I was at Falmer early 80's, Fawcett always used to run

image.jpg

Falmer never came to Fawcett and we never went there, ( too many Scoombers) but you may know different???
Stringer were the only school to have a proper go.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Was that Gus Dutton? A total nutter. He was pretty much the hardest kid in Varndean. I think he got expelled.

I remember Stringer being pretty hairy. We had to go on cross country runs past Stringer and accept that you were going to have stones/bricks etc bunged at you. I remember get hit my a big chunk of brick on my knee, limping over the finishing line in 70th place and getting a detention for my lowly finish. ******* Stringer.
I was in the same year as Dutton. Called him a c--t once and unsurprisingly got a DM up the backside as i tried to get away. Actually he wasn't too bad, there was a far nastier person in the same year by the name of Gibbon.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Me, I went to Stanley Deason ( Classs of 85 ). Hard as nails us lot. What about you?

I must know you. Same year as me haha.
I could name a few names from those days and very recently met up with a few for the first time since leaving school.
Where the fook does the time go eh?

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I was at Hove Park at around the same time. In the year above there was a kid called Richard Green who lived on the Knoll Estate and had a fight in the lower school where he knocked his opponent out stone cold with his first punch. Meanwhile our year might well be the one referred to somewhere else in terms of the lads from Hangleton. One (Gary Gregory) is now doing life for killing a woman in West Hove in a burglary gone wrong, but the rest, coached by the lunatic but very funny French and Sociology teachers, were turned in to the best school rugby team in the district. I made substitute (replacement) most of the time but started when they were desperate until the day my mate broke two bones in my left arm by tackling me and then sitting on me in the ensuing
I was in that year in hove park used to hang around with. Colin holland,mike ruff and Danny lima

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
View attachment 53832

Falmer never came to Fawcett and we never went there, ( too many Scoombers) but you may know different???
Stringer were the only school to have a proper go.

Sorry, but we (Falmer 5th Form) certainly did have an away day at Fawcett in 83. We enjoyed collecting ties as trophies until the plod showed up and we scattered around the industrial estate below the school. Memory foggy but I'm sure we took 40-50 young men that day. Falmer was bonkers during my stay. A daily ritual of muggings and a gauntlet of hell for those not from Scoombe. I lived 1 house into Higher Bevendean so I got a pass. Lyons, Clark's, Dawes families were utter terrorists who ran the place. I managed to survive with 5 useless GCEs. Funny old world when you can come from such beginnings to become a multi millionaire. I'd write a book about it if anyone gave a shit which they clearly don't.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Oh and most importantly. UTA. Albion first and forever. Who wants to play in the EPL anyway? We'd be cannon fodder and our annual ambition would be survival and 35 points. **** that.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
what is the pecking order nowadays?

I would have said as an 80s boy

Falmer
Deason
Longhill
Tideway (pre fire and I know it shouldnt count)
Varndean
Cardinal Newman
Hove Park
etc etc etc

whats the score now?

I would put Patcham Fawcett above any of them in the list, I remember around 1982/83 when there was a little ruck between Dorothy Stringer and Patcham Fawcett where a lad from Stringer was dropped onto a spiked fence.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was at Hove Park at around the same time. In the year above there was a kid called Richard Green who lived on the Knoll Estate and had a fight in the lower school where he knocked his opponent out stone cold with his first punch. Meanwhile our year might well be the one referred to somewhere else in terms of the lads from Hangleton. One (Gary Gregory) is now doing life for killing a woman in West Hove in a burglary gone wrong, but the rest, coached by the lunatic but very funny French and Sociology teachers, were turned in to the best school rugby team in the district. I made substitute (replacement) most of the time but started when they were desperate until the day my mate broke two bones in my left arm by tackling me and then sitting on me in the ensuing
I was in that year in hove park used to hang around with. Colin holland,mike ruff and Danny lima

Ha! Colin was in my class. Went to a couple of games with him in the 5th year. The kid from Hangleton I got on best with was Teaguie - he was also the one that sat on my arm and broke it :rant:

Those rugby games were highly entertaining. If you remember Glen M (RIP) he was basically sent out there to fight anything that moved.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Ha! Colin was in my class. Went to a couple of games with him in the 5th year. The kid from Hangleton I got on best with was Teaguie - he was also the one that sat on my arm and broke it :rant:

Those rugby games were highly entertaining. If you remember Glen M (RIP) he was basically sent out there to fight anything that moved.
Colin was my best mate for years at Hangleton middle school,hove park then we worked at same place. Knew Teague as well as he used to hang around with my old step brother Stuart Paynter.
I played in the footie team and avoided the rugby team. It was tragic about Glen he used to hang out with a kiddie I worked with at lumleys and he used to drink in the May tree pub and think he worked for the post office. So being in the class you would know my other mates Darren Stayner and the moog and the legend until he left Christain Stephen Martin. I am going to try and name you did you first name begin with an N??

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Colin was my best mate for years at Hangleton middle school,hove park then we worked at same place. Knew Teague as well as he used to hang around with my old step brother Stuart Paynter.
I played in the footie team and avoided the rugby team. It was tragic about Glen he used to hang out with a kiddie I worked with at lumleys and he used to drink in the May tree pub and think he worked for the post office. So being in the class you would know my other mates Darren Stayner and the moog and the legend until he left Christain Stephen Martin. I am going to try and name you did you first name begin with an N??

JT - hung round lots with Darren & moog

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here