Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bradford City FC

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
An incredibly well made and moving program with intevriews with those who were there on BT Sport 2 now if you have it. Just heartbreaking. Hostd by Gabby Yorath/Logan, who i had no idea was so close to being a victim herself.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
270 seconds from a spark until a whole stand was a raging furnace at 900c. no words.

From an article about the fire:

The largest volume of evidence stored there relates to the Department of the Environment's Fire Research Council – the body responsible for providing scientific evidence for Popplewell. The director of that organisation, Dr David Woolley, was interviewed for just two hours by the inquiry team, and his private papers reveal his desperate rush to assemble information into a report for Popplewell. "Yes," he told the inquiry when asked if he was "cautious" about the conclusion he had made about a match causing the fire. "We were concerned there might be, because of the rapidity of the fire, a mechanism unknown to us."

(My underlining)

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
From an article about the fire:

The largest volume of evidence stored there relates to the Department of the Environment's Fire Research Council – the body responsible for providing scientific evidence for Popplewell. The director of that organisation, Dr David Woolley, was interviewed for just two hours by the inquiry team, and his private papers reveal his desperate rush to assemble information into a report for Popplewell. "Yes," he told the inquiry when asked if he was "cautious" about the conclusion he had made about a match causing the fire. "We were concerned there might be, because of the rapidity of the fire, a mechanism unknown to us."

(My underlining)

I'm not sure i understand your point. Please explain.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Read post 36 in the thread (the previous page).

Oh my word. thank you.

not sure if anything could/will be proven. I do know that that was an incredible program, and i will now always have a deeper respect and understanding of the days events. And a greater respect for Gabby Logan.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
One of the saddest things I read was that when the police had to find all the bodies they found an old couple still sat in their seats holding hands.

What an awful discovery. Some of the names do suggest rather elderly couples. The fire must have been spreading so fast towards them that they just knew they couldn't move fast enough to escape it.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What an awful discovery. Some of the names do suggest rather elderly couples. The fire must have been spreading so fast towards them that they just knew they couldn't move fast enough to escape it.

Yep, one was a distant relation of mine who couldn't get his elderly dad out in time and consequently perished. His hands melted and he spent months in hospital and years skin grafts afterwards. Always remembers Jimmy Greaves coming round the burns unit afterwards and spending time listening and speaking with the victims. Top man Jimmy, not widely known but he was very supportive of the families affected in the aftermath.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I remember the day well for many reasons. I went to the match with Ian Muir who was lodging with at the time. It was Eric Read's last game as a ref and we met him in the director's room after the game and had a few drinks. We went out to find the car locked in the parking lot next to the ground and had a hell of a job finding someone to let us out. And then we got home ............. Such a sad ending to an eventful day.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Jesus. What must go through your mind at a time like that? I can't even begin to imagine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here