Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

heard on talk sport

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If we're going to insist on ignoring everything that has come from the club re an upgrade of the stadium and chunter on regardless, can we also include an athletics track.

#TheGoodOldDays.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If the arches hold the roofs up, then surely not a problem to remove them, it's if the roofs hold the arches up that you'd be stuffed?

If you removed an arch, then the entire roof would collapse. That would be a problem.

If you removed a roof, then I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, because you still wouldn't be able to fit a higher roof, because the arches wouldn't be high enough to hold it.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
No. The two arches lean back away from each other, counterbalancing each other, pulling the ring of steel up that goes around the whole roof. That steel ring that the arches are attached to goes through all the roof girders.

Think of it like standing opposite someone, holding hands, and leaning back so you counterbalance each others weight without falling backwards. That's what the arches are doing.

Yes thanks, I've got that now, that's what I was pretty much asking with my last question, I remember Martin Perry talking about it years ago.

I'm guessing this "steel ring" goes across the front of the North Stand roof.

Still, if they REALLY wanted to add more seats they could probably knock out the back wall, get rid of the big screen and rooms behind, and add a few more rows.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Amazing, I never thought when I was sitting in the rain at Withdean that a 30 thousand plus seat stadium would be too small for the Albion. In fact if someone said that to me then I would have thought they were loop the loop.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Yes, I remember the trusses. I just thought the arches held each stand up and the North Stand roof was attached.

Yes, the NS roof was attached before the trusses were taken down.
If not, the arches would have tipped back.
So basically, the two arches hold ALL the roof up.

It's not like the John Smith's Stadium at Hudds where each stand has it's own arch.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If we're going to insist on ignoring everything that has come from the club re an upgrade of the stadium and chunter on regardless, can we also include an athletics track.

#TheGoodOldDays.

Well I do believe them. But at the same time they have to say what they have to say. They said there were no plans for expansion less than a year before adding a second tier to the East Stand, I believe.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
If you removed an arch, then the entire roof would collapse. That would be a problem.

If you removed a roof, then I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, because you still wouldn't be able to fit a higher roof, because the arches wouldn't be high enough to hold it.

I think he knows the roof would collapse. That was the point, to remove the North Stand roof without it effecting the other two stands.

As you've explained it probably wouldn't work, my idea was put the roof on top of the arches (rather than level, like they are now) thus adding more space at the back of the stand for more rows of seats.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Amazing, I never thought when I was sitting in the rain at Withdean that a 30 thousand plus seat stadium would be too small for the Albion. In fact if someone said that to me then I would have thought they were loop the loop.

I did! :clap:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I know nothing about building and regulations just repeating what RH told me among a group a couple of games after The Amex opened. A group of us said to him that it didn't look as if it would be big enough if we were successful and that was his answer. As to the actual practicality I would have no idea.

Here comes the SWERVE.
Telling us that you are in the know like a billy big bollocks.
Then when confronted you go ------ I quote -------------('I KNOW NOTHING')

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Yes, the NS roof was attached before the trusses were taken down.
If not, the arches would have tipped back.
So basically, the two arches hold ALL the roof up.

It's not like the John Smith's Stadium at Hudds where each stand has it's own arch.

Yes I know the arches hold all the roofs up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I can also remember the debates on here, wondering whether we could hit the quoted break-even figure of 12,000 STH's after the initial excitement had died down. We were seriously debating if we could regularly fill 22,500 !

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Here's photo that I took back in Aug 2010.
The arches were still on trusses at that time.
I have arrowed the ring of steel on the W and E stands.
At this time I don't think the ring had been completed in the N and S.

Attachments

• amex.JPG
    amex.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 283

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well I do believe them. But at the same time they have to say what they have to say. They said there were no plans for expansion less than a year before adding a second tier to the East Stand, I believe.

They said there were no plans for a hotel :whistle::whistle:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
T'is a shame we're not Americans:-

Stockdale - Bruno - Duffy - Dunk - Bong = The Ring of Steel

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

The Goldstone Ground had a capacity of c35k and it was filled to capacity many times.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Can't be arsed to read the rest of this thread but everyone who stuck through the war years got a ST. All the JCLs at the amex got a ticket. All the regulars who saw us over the last few years will get a ticket with a bit of effort .everyone else can f*** off. I can't see where there's a problem ?

It is the PERFECT size

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Can't be arsed to read the rest of this thread but everyone who stuck through the war years got a ST. All the JCLs at the amex got a ticket. All the regulars who saw us over the last few years will get a ticket with a bit of effort .everyone else can f*** off. I can't see where there's a problem ?

Even the children now able to appreciate a game of football?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Even the children now able to appreciate a game of football?

Yes and I'm afraid if other kids unable to appreciate a game of football (my son's words, not mine) are in front in the queue then that's life.

I hope we keep the north west shelf to invite schoolkids for free and that we expand the family area but most kids have to learn they can't have whatever they want.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The roofs hold the arches up as well. The supports stayed under the arches until all the roofs were installed. They then took the supports away one at a time. I remember Martin Perry saying he held his breath as the supports were taken away as the movement had to be less than 1cm. It worked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here