Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stronger squad than Poyet's?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If you compiled a 23 man squad from the Amex years then you'd see which one was stronger

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The team/18 that we had out for the home fixture v Bristol City 4 years ago under Poyet (on 27 Nov 2012) was:

Team:
Tomasz Kuszczak
Bruno
Marcos Painter
Gordon Greer
Liam Bridcutt
Lewis Dunk
Dean Hammond
Andrea Orlandi
Will Buckley
Stephen Dobbie
Will Hoskins

Subs:
Peter Brezovan
Inigo Calderon
Adam El-Abd
Andrew Crofts
David Lopez
Ashley Barnes
Craig Mackail-Smith

(we won 2-0 - Hammond, Orlandi, Vicente was of course "injured" and Kaz was definitely injured, Interestingly Tom Heaton was in goal for Bristol and Sam Baldock was on their bench)

Also in the squad but not around that day were JFC, Gary Dicker, and of course Upson and Ulloa were still to arrive...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If you compiled a 23 man squad from the Amex years then you'd see which one was stronger

My 23 man squad would be :

GK: Stockdale, Kuszcack, Walton
FB: Bridge, Bruno, Bong, Ward
CB:: Duffy, Dunk, Greer, Upson
MF:Kayal, Stephens, Bridcutt, Sidwell
Wingers: Knockeart, Vicente, March, Lua Lua
FW: Ulloa, Murray, Baldock, Vokes, Hemed

Reserve: Calde. Tough to leave out Barnes, Ankers, Orlandi, Skalak, CMS (that first 6 months anyway), Crofts and Andrews. And i've a soft spot for loanees like Wilson and Bent but hey. None of em make it.

So: 15 of the 23 still at the club...which i guess tells its own story.

Last edited:

el punal

Poyet's team could be bullied this one can't. Current squad is a much better bet to get promoted IMO as they have flair and mental strength as does the manager. We were mentally fragile like our manager under Poyet even if we had loads of flair.

I pointed this out (Poyet's team being bullied) in an earlier post. We now have two absolute beasts at centre back in Dunk and Duffy, ably assisted of course by Goldson and the BFG. In midfield, Kayal, Stephens and Sidwell would eat anyone alive that dares pass them. So yes, a much stronger, and dare I say it, a much more dynamic side.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Of course it's not. Poyet told us all, his team was as good as it got for Brighton....

So far he has been proved correct,cracked though it maybe after the battering last season,the glass ceiling still exists.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
To be fair, you are correct. There's a massive constructional lack of ambition within our roof.

I dread the day Hughton looks up.

We'll smash it this year.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Reserve: Calde. Tough to leave out Barnes, Ankers, Orlandi, Skalak, CMS (that first 6 months anyway), Crofts and Andrews. And i've a soft spot for loanees like Wilson and Bent but hey. None of em make it.

I've counted 25 there mate :lolol:

I'd make a few changes from that, but not many. It would have to be based on a mix of past performance and potential too. But, for me:

GK: Stockdale, Kuszcack,
FB: Bridge, Bruno, Bong, Rosenior (based partly on having equal cover on right and left, Jem had three left backs whereas Leroy CAN play on either and is a leader almost at the level of an assistant manager)
CB:: Duffy, Dunk, Greer, Upson - no argument at all there
MF:Kayal, Stephens, Bridcutt, Spanish Dave - (the latter can be considered a MF rather than a winger, despite being played wide IMO)
Wingers: Knockeart, Skalak, Murphy, Buckley (Vicente isn't a winger and didn't play enough. Buckley was a criminal omission from Jem's squad IMO, Murphy is far more an all round player than March)
FW: Ulloa, Murray, Baldock, Barnes, (You CANNOT leave out Barnes. Barnes not as good as Vokes? :nono: )

So I make that the same split of positions but 14 current players (tho Bruno and Dunk played for both)

Last edited:

scooter1

How soon is now?
Under Poyet we had some very skilful players and it felt like the good times were there, but equally there was no plan B. So when we got sussed out, it was painful to watch.
Under Hughton we have flair, stability, solidity and adaptability. And we have it in depth as well. If a game is not going our way, Hughtons team has the ability to adapt and move on.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This team did not start against Norwich:

Mäenpää

Rosenior Goldson Uwe Pocognoli

Murphy Kayal Norwood Lua Lua

March

Hemed

If the likes of King Kayal, March, Lua Lua, Hemed, Murphy, Rosenior and Goldson show last year's form, we have a separate 11 who could also beat Norwich just waiting for their chance. Total strength in depth and I've not even mentioned Ince, Manu & Towell.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

How can you miss out Barnes (still the leading scoring in the Amex era)...?

And you've got three left-backs and one right-back. To balance that out, I'd have Calderon for Ward.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Under Poyet we had some very skilful players and it felt like the good times were there, but equally there was no plan B. So when we got sussed out, it was painful to watch.
Under Hughton we have flair, stability, solidity and adaptability. And we have it in depth as well. If a game is not going our way, Hughtons team has the ability to adapt and move on.

Solidity is, for me, the key here. Under Poyet, we had flair and adaptability, now we have it underpinned by that solidity. Fewer silly mistakes these days, and fewer defeats.

Seven defeats in the past 62 league matches is a phenomenal record.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Not only do I think we have far greater depth these days, I think there would be little doubt that the current first 11 would beat the Poyet 11- probably three times out of five.

With our current defence the Poyet team would find it very difficult to unpick us with their passing game and sooner or later would get caught out and concede - and we all know how much we struggled if we went behind.

Also I'd agree that it was a far weaker division in his final year and although we finished 4th and only narrowly missed automatic, it was done with far fewer points than last season - also suggesting that it was a less effective team.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
This team did not start against Norwich:

Mäenpää

Rosenior Goldson Uwe Pocognoli

Murphy Kayal Norwood Lua Lua

March

Hemed

If the likes of King Kayal, March, Lua Lua, Hemed, Murphy, Rosenior and Goldson show last year's form, we have a separate 11 who could also beat Norwich just waiting for their chance. Total strength in depth and I've not even mentioned Ince, Manu & Towell.

WOW
That team would give a Poyet team a run for it's money

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
It's funny, when the 2012-13 squad got released/sold off between summer 2013 and summer 2014 I never thought we'd have a team/squad better than that. But we do now.

Here is my 25 Man squad of the AMEX era.

GK: Kuszczak, Stockdale, Walton.
FB: Bridge, Bruno, Rosenior, Bong
CB: Dunk, Duffy, Greer, Upson, Goldson
CM: Bridcutt, Kayal, Stephens, Crofts (First half of 2013-14).
RW & LW: Knockaert, Buckley, Skalak, Vicente.
FW: Ulloa, Murray, Baldock, Barnes, Hemed.

This squad would walk the league IMHO. Lots of tough emissions from this, e.g. Calde, Spanish Dave (First season), Orlandi (First season), Lualua, Ward, Murphy, March, Norwood, Sidwell, Hunemeier, etc. etc.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Team - no
Squad - without a doubt
Right now if someone drops out through injury there is a good chance they'll not get back in.

You don't think this team is better than the one of Poyet's era? That's an interesting one - who would you have out of Poyet's squad of 13/14 in the first team? Obviously Bridge & Vicente but who else? Ulloa possibly? Even Bridcutt, who was out most important player wouldn't get in ahead of Kayal & Stephens for me..!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here