Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does ANYONE remember THIS guy ?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
There's a myth that 'Horace' was a lovable eccentric. He wasn't. He could be an obnoxious piece of work at times. I remember him yelling abuse at motorists on Grove Lodge more than once.

I also remember him giving chase to a bunch of Worthing High kids down Rectory Road after they gave him the wanker sign. What he wasn't going to do to them whilst blurting out many 'F's' & 'C's' :eek:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I haven't read all this thread so apols if this has been mentioned. There was a lad who used to pace up and down in Hove Park, muttering to himself, around 1974. A couple of years later, when I was working as a deckchair attendant opposite the aquarium, he popped up there. Always in the same place, pacing up and down. By then he had a big beard. He didn't seem quite the ticket, but he had an uncanny knack of suddenly appearing, then disappearing from his walking pitch, like Keyser Soze. When I was at school, it was said his name was Ted Arnold.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I haven't read all this thread so apols if this has been mentioned. There was a lad who used to pace up and down in Hove Park, muttering to himself, around 1974. A couple of years later, when I was working as a deckchair attendant opposite the aquarium, he popped up there. Always in the same place, pacing up and down. By then he had a big beard. He didn't seem quite the ticket, but he had an uncanny knack of suddenly appearing, then disappearing from his walking pitch, like Keyser Soze. When I was at school, it was said his name was Ted Arnold.

If its the same guy i'm thinking about ,i was told he and his family were in a horrible car accident , understandably he did not take well to being the only survivor and became a constant walker talker , i don't remember him from the 70s but i do remember him in the early 80s when i worked down the seafront , big long raincoat whatever the weather , always said hello to him , cant remember getting one back , one thing that struck me about him was no matter how scruffy he looked he had these piercing blue ultra sad eyes , do not know what became of him never saw him after 92/93 .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If its the same guy i'm thinking about ,i was told he and his family were in a horrible car accident , understandably he did not take well to being the only survivor and became a constant walker talker , i don't remember him from the 70s but i do remember him in the early 80s when i worked down the seafront , big long raincoat whatever the weather , always said hello to him , cant remember getting one back , one thing that struck me about him was no matter how scruffy he looked he had these piercing blue ultra sad eyes , do not know what became of him never saw him after 92/93 .

That's the fellah. Very sad. I also spoke to him, and the best I got back was a nod, apart from once - he asked me for some money to buy a tea, which I gave him. I don't know his back story, or if Ted Arnold was his name. Cheers.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I was glad to see the other day a harmless old boy still around. He's a street drinker who most often hangs around the North Laine usually Sydney St or by Sainsbury's by St Barts. He usually has a radio with him played loudly and always has a big smile on his face. I've never seen him beg, he's often completely blotto but fair play he's a genial chap and dressed a bit better than the other street drinkers.

I hadn't seen him for a year or two and I'd just presumed that he'd passed away.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
That's the fellah. Very sad. I also spoke to him, and the best I got back was a nod, apart from once - he asked me for some money to buy a tea, which I gave him. I don't know his back story, or if Ted Arnold was his name. Cheers.

I never knew his name though for what ever reason i thought it was David , thinking about it i'm not suprised he never answered my Morning Dave

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is that the same chap who was actually quite dapper about 15 years back but has slowly and very sadly degenerated into what we see today? Mop of matter black hair, beard, shoes with no laces etc who rummages in bins but always has a smile to himself, clearly long gone? But looks about 40 now?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Is that the same chap who was actually quite dapper about 15 years back but has slowly and very sadly degenerated into what we see today? Mop of matter black hair, beard, shoes with no laces etc who rummages in bins but always has a smile to himself, clearly long gone? But looks about 40 now?

No, I think that's someone different. The chap with no laces in his boots is a different chap I think. Haven't seen him for ages but he absolutely stank to high heaven.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No, I think that's someone different. The chap with no laces in his boots is a different chap I think. Haven't seen him for ages but he absolutely stank to high heaven.

Yeah, he is proper old school tramp. I had to pop into Brighton today and saw him smiling at a used scratch card he'd fished out of a bin. I've never seen him drinking, pretty sure he doesn't do drugs and never see him after dark. Shame these ones are allowed to slip through the net, he clearly needs help.

rothergull

Worthing ex pat
Jan 25, 2008
rotherham
Agree about Barry and Shirley but I thought Horace got the same treatment when he came in the Becket as that well loved hockey player?

He did at first but after talking to him a few times it died off ... Hockey player? If its who I think it is I thought he was a w***er (J*** Y*** ?)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
there's a new candidate

the guy who sits outside the front of the Odeon (Brighton Seafront) just along from Costa chatting to passers by through a huge traffic cone. He's a rough sleeper, harmless and brightens up my day. Check him out

anyone else seen him?

Yep, I know who you mean. I was sat outside Costa Coffee a few weeks back reading a paper, and watching him with mild amusement as he raised his traffic cone to his lips and heckled the passers by.

"WHERE ARE YOU GOING"
"I LIKE YOUR HAT"
"IS THAT YOUR DOG"

:lolol:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
As a kid get excited seeing him him at Teville Gate round about. If he wasn't there i'd feel a little less happy. Use to love seeing him as kid. A real character, bless him.

There are a few characters in Kingston and Sutton.

Sutton has the wizard a guy who has a long grey beard, wears a robe and walks around town with a cat on his shoulder.

Kingston has a black guy called Moses who dresses in solider or scuba gear saying hello to people.

I love characters like this. Brightens up the world.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Anyone know what became of 'Tenpenny' ?. He used to walk up and down Duke Street area in the mid-late 80s. He would be quite elderly now. Most inoffensive chap.

From the thread Bozza posted:
Actually had the privilege of looking after him when he passed on, a true Worthing legend, they certainly don't make them like him anymore.:D
And from this one:
Horace Duke from Worthing, I had the privilege of looking after his funeral.
Haven't read either thread in full, so did anyone else have the privilege?

I used to cycle around Worthing (including Broadwater and Teville Gate) between 1972 and 1979 but never encountered the guy.

Fran112

Jun 6, 2011
Waterlooville
From the thread Bozza posted:
And from this one:

Haven't read either thread in full, so did anyone else have the privilege?

I used to cycle around Worthing (including Broadwater and Teville Gate) between 1972 and 1979 but never encountered the guy.

I used to work with him in the long gone spectacle factory in Brougham Road, Worthing in 1976, really nice guy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here