Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Talking of the F.A Cup. Anyone remember Mansfield home (withdean)

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Dumped out the cup with a shocking display and wasn't it for a 4 th round tie which was a big deal at the time ?

Fans absolutely furious after and baying for blood.

Only a few years back really

There have been worse fa cup performances IMO in the not too distance past.

Sudbury, kingstonian, Lincoln and Hereford spring to mind

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That was the day that proved he couldn't play left back if I remember correctly.

I remember hearing (reading?) that he was sick on the pitch, got subbed at half-time as well, if I recall correctly. That match was just awful, weather was bad too and I left early with my 2 sons to get the bus back into town. Some old boy told us that Brighton had equalised in the last minute. I didn't find out that he'd lied to us and we'd lost till the next day. What a frigging wind-up merchant.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We needed a replay to beat them.

Remember dad phoning for tickets for that one as we were down the road from Canvey Island but it was sold out. Think it kicked off badly there too!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That was dire.

I've delved in to the archives and uncovered the player ratings...

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...eld-Player-Ratings&highlight=mansfield+fraser

Joel Lynch in particular had a shocker if memory serves me right.

Good memory!

lynch - 2. awful. most over rated player in brighton history?

Lynch---4

Lynch 2 - absolute mare. Sad sight though was seeing him soak up the crap he must have been getting with no obvious support from his team mates.

Lynch 3 Poor at left back, clearly hadn't recovered from the virus he had, looked better when he moved to centre back for the second half.

ynch - -5. absolute disgrace, not worthy in wearing the stripes, so OVER RATED

Lynch - 2 - oh dear

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Dumped out the cup with a shocking display and wasn't it for a 4 th round tie which was a big deal at the time ?

Fans absolutely furious after and baying for blood.

Only a few years back really

Yeah remember it well, Mansfield were rock bottom in Lge 2 and hadnt won away all season until they came to the Withdean. Kuipers kept us in it for most of the game - we were dreadful

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Yes, I remember this game. Really depressing. So glad we have a roof now - that'll help us when we next plumb the depths. I also saw the Lincoln, Hereford and the Sudbury exits. The Sudbury one was the most depressing of the lot because our club was in such trouble at the time. Hereford - we had the consolation that we had got the result in the recent previous encounter. I don't think Lincoln was a big shock at the time.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Remember Kingstonian away as an impressionable 11 year old. Truly awful. Does anyone remember hurling pies at the home goalkeeper?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Wasn't it after this game that Dick Knight went on the radio and personally guaranteed five signings in January. On transfer deadline day we had made just four and so in came Shane McFaul to ensure he kept his promise.

Wonder what happened to him

Just signed for Shamrock Rovers I believe. Where Colin Hawkins is the B team manager.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This was the first game my mate's twins went to. We took them as a 'treat'. Luckily they both needed a piss just before Mansfield scored & to this day they think it was a 1-1 draw.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I flew to New York that day. Was absolutely SURE we would win that and bag a decent next round tie. When I landed received a handful of text messages slating the squad, and in particular Lynch. He didn't play much after that did he ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I flew to New York that day. Was absolutely SURE we would win that and bag a decent next round tie. When I landed received a handful of text messages slating the squad, and in particular Lynch. He didn't play much after that did he ?

He played 13 more times that season (28 appearances in total) and then a handful the following season before deciding he wanted out. Towards the end, we had that 2-3 battering by Port Vale who were pretty useless that season, all but extinguished our playoff hopes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here